• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

uvelocity

International Coach
Michael Beer opening the bowling for a nation that gave us Lindwall, Davidson, Miller, Lillee, Thomson, McGrath and Gillespie? :wacko: I think I've seen everything now!
A group of Islands which gave us Marshall, Holding, Ambrose and Walsh should hang their heads in shame at this "pitch"

Ruckus

International Captain
Hmm I don't really get the point of it though. Bowling is only going to get better for someone like Beer and worse for the seamers, so why waste the new ball on him? Reckon we could have got at least as many wickets opening with Hilf/Patto anyway...conditions were really pretty good for swing bowling.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm I don't really get the point of it though. Bowling is only going to get better for someone like Beer and worse for the seamers, so why waste the new ball on him? Reckon we could have got at least as many wickets opening with Hilf/Patto anyway...conditions were really pretty good for swing bowling.
because the wi openers seem to suck against slow bowling

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Haha we opened with Beer and it worked?

Clarke is a complete nutter, I swear <3
Clarke's so arsey, he could open the bowling with Matthew Wade, tell his fielders to "spread" and it'll work.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
because the wi openers seem to suck against slow bowling
I haven't seen enough of them, so I can't comment, but even if that is the case anyone is going to have trouble when the ball is swinging around...so I don't see much advantage there. Clarke seems to be a really good captain, but sometimes you just get the feeling he tries to be a little too tricky/inventive with these things. Think it could come back to bite him at some point down the line.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Think we'll talk about that when it doesn't work. Moves like this are entirely situation-dependent, he didn't throw in a spinner because he felt like it. It would've been a mixture of pitch conditions, what he thought about the batsmen involved and the fact that sometimes the new ball can actually be more effective on very slow decks in the hands of a spinner because it'll turn regardless but the hardness means it will be slightly quicker.

EDIT: Although I guess in a way he did throw in a spinner because he felt like it; it would have been a gut-feel call.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I haven't seen enough of them, so I can't comment, but even if that is the case anyone is going to have trouble when the ball is swinging around...so I don't see much advantage there. Clarke seems to be a really good captain, but sometimes you just get the feeling he tries to be a little too tricky/inventive with these things. Think it could come back to bite him at some point down the line.
The thing that makes it OK is that he doesn't try to prove that the move was right. If it's not working, he doesn't persist with it.

Haven't seen much/any of the game at all, but was there any hints of some reverse tang?

Spikey

bloody hell, what's happened to lyon's action? non-existent
no doubt it'll be back to normal when the tailenders came out

#Buuuuuuurn #Cue7WicketHaul

anyone wanna try to do some statsguring for me? I'm trying to work out how Lyon's percentage of wickets caught by fielders (so not inc keeper) compares to other spinners. his is 76%. hauritz was 61%. I know you'd expect right arm offies to be above the 50% but whatever. it seems a pretty cool stat.

Spikey

and when you do that then work out just how many times a spinner has opened the bowling in our first innings.