• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not too sure if it's an aberration that can be consciously corrected. But I am willing to be educated further on this issue that I admittedly know very little about.
One would hope it can, or all the bowlers sent for "remedial action" after failing their UWA exam are pissing in the wind.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
As I mentioned in the IPL thread re Samuels, I seriously doubt whether people "try" to chuck

IMO, it's their natural action and, what's more, harder to do than bowl legally

Anyway, he looks decidedly dodgy and will probably get worse with tiredness
Agree with this. In fact I'm not sure coaches do enough to stop people chucking at a young age. I've played a few county games at Junior level and there's a high number of people with very suspect actions. If no one does anything about it when the bowlers are young, they repeat it thousands of times and it must become so hard to change.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with this. In fact I'm not sure coaches do enough to stop people chucking at a young age. I've played a few county games at Junior level and there's a high number of people with very suspect actions. If no one does anything about it when the bowlers are young, they repeat it thousands of times and it must become so hard to change.
It's hard as the world record holder looks dodgy but was apparently legal so who is a dad controlling practice at under 14s to say that little Johnny chucks?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As I mentioned in the IPL thread re Samuels, I seriously doubt whether people "try" to chuck

IMO, it's their natural action and, what's more, harder to do than bowl legally

Anyway, he looks decidedly dodgy and will probably get worse with tiredness
I think some are natural throwers, but some definitely have adopted a more chucky style after Murali (perhaps unwittingly) opened the floodgates. Botha the prime example. As one understands he was initially an innocuous medium pacer until he decide to give offies a throw go.

social

I think some are natural throwers, but some definitely have adopted a more chucky style after Murali (perhaps unwittingly) opened the floodgates. Botha the prime example. As one understands he was initially an innocuous medium pacer until he decide to give offies a throw go.
There's a well known story emanating from an international under-age tourney a few years ago where an internationally recognised coach (not Australian btw) came away in despair at the spinners' actions

Can't blame the kids for copying their heroes

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
It's hard as the world record holder looks dodgy but was apparently legal so who is a dad controlling practice at under 14s to say that little Johnny chucks?
Yeah can relate. My dad runs my junior team, resulting in umpiring sometimes, and we've encountered some dubious actions a few times. Nothing we can do really.

Tbf to Botha, his action is much improved IMO. Check this out: Damien Martyn 96 (56) v South Africa, T20 2006 - YouTube

social

Without trying to put the hex on Watto, this is exactly the situation where he needs to man up

Well set, big advantage in batting first, early wickets and long tail

Jarquis

WATTO :D

Should have started sweeps as to what number he'd get out on in the 50s.
I actually typed out a post earlier of

0-49
etc
60+

and then my browser crashed under sheer weight of cricketarchive tabs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I went to sleep at lunch, glad about that given the slowness of the day.

How bad were the Indian bowlers to allow Ponting to score big against them. He's back to his poor scores and from the handful of deliveries he faced before lunch, Ponting seemed to be back to his old habits of not being balanced correctly. I was hoping that he would rectify things after lunch, but no.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know what to make of that day. It looks substandard from our POV but no one seemed in on the wicket.

If they jag 300 I suspect they might be happy with that.