• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

Ruckus

International Captain
Watson really isn't looking like he's one of the six best batsman in the country is he AND as I type this he gets dropped!
Can we please finish with this argument. Sure, Watson still hasn't been able to convert his scores much yet, but he is undoubtedly one of the best six batsmen in this country. Even in this match he was the top Aus run scorer and the second overall from both teams.

Ruckus

International Captain
so averaging 45.50 for the match (the highest average amongst the Aus team) and being the top run scorer isn't enough for you?

Valer

First Class Debutant
so averaging 45.50 for the match (the highest average amongst the Aus team) and being the top run scorer isn't enough for you?
Harris "averaged" 72...

also 37 avg in the last 2 years, 25 in the last 12 months...

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Consistently throwing away good starts in an idiotic manner isn't good enough for me, no.

If you get in, cash in. That's what high-quality Test batsmen do.

Ruckus

International Captain
Harris "averaged" 72...
Yeah sorry missed that. It's not really relevant anyway though because it was only to illustrate his position amongst the top 6/7.

Consistently throwing away good starts in an idiotic manner isn't good enough for me, no.

If you get in, cash in. That's what high-quality Test batsmen do.
For one, that argument doesn't really hold much meaning for this match because everyone bar Chanderpaul in the first innings (when the batting looked the easiest mind) threw away starts. It clearly wasn't an easy pitch to convert on. But even if you discount that, if you honestly believe how Watson is batting isn't good enough to justify his position as a member of the top 6, then the onus is on you to provide an example of someone who could do better. Given Cowan's position in the top 6 is already far more tenuous than Watson's, well...good luck.

Spark

Global Moderator
FTR I didn't say he wasn't one of the best six batsmen in this country. But he should start batting like it, by knuckling down and actually making a big, match-definining score without putting a long hop down deep square's throat, throwing his bat at a wide nothing ball and getting caught behind the wicket or running someone out. I might be overly harsh on this matter, but I'm just quite ****ing sick of it and we need much more than it from our first-drop.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FTR I didn't say he wasn't one of the best six batsmen in this country. But he should start batting like it, by knuckling down and actually making a big, match-definining score without putting a long hop down deep square's throat, throwing his bat at a wide nothing ball and getting caught behind the wicket or running someone out. I might be overly harsh on this matter, but I'm just quite ****ing sick of it and we need much more than it from our first-drop.
You left out him being involved in the run outs.

FFS.

Spark

Global Moderator
"running someone out" :ph34r:

Really I think if he didn't just involve himself in so many hugely frustrating dismissals it wouldn't be such a problem.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Watson's actual position isn't really up for debate due to his bowling. If he stopped bowling I'd be surprised someone like say Joe Burns couldn't do better than ~25 and running out his partners. Obviously there's an element of recent form in that but he was hardly cashing in when he was in form a couple of years ago.

eta: Cowan is on borrowed time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah again this is more a "we know you can do much, much better than that" rather than whether his place is up for grabs. Still the second most valuable member of this team.

Ruckus

International Captain
@valer, you actually think averaging 25~ is a true indication of what Watson offers with the bat? I don't even...

Ruckus

International Captain
And the point is...he will keep averging 25 so we should replace him with someone who will average more than 25? Hey let's get Marcus North back then, guy averages 35 in test cricket, and he converts!

Ruckus

International Captain
Taking his batting alone, by implication that's essentially what valer was suggesting. Why else would he mention Joe Burns. We aren't discussing Watson the allrounder here.

Spark

Global Moderator
Despite the fact that the first phrase in his post said Watson's actual position isn't really up for debate...?

Valer

First Class Debutant
@valer, you actually think averaging 25~ is a true indication of what Watson offers with the bat? I don't even...

No but I'd suggest that he'll keep under-performing his talent and head towards that mid 30's range.

He'd certainly be on notice...

Edit: Spark we are talking about if Watson stopped bowling.

Last edited: