• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Rant0r

International 12th Man
i was curious to see what pop gun attack he scored this against

check the attack, morkel morkel and harris, striking at 62, 9 fours and 5 sixes, :o

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
i was curious to see what pop gun attack he scored this against

check the attack, morkel morkel and harris, striking at 62, 9 fours and 5 sixes, :o
Prince has currently scored 146 more runs then Neil Mac managed today. He opened for his domestic side today too but was put out of his misery after nigh on 30 minutes at the crease where he managed a mere 4 runs. Ashwell on for his first domestic double...

Interesting to see no wickets for Albie Morkel and his got some tap (younger brother unsurprisingly hasn’t). Wayne Parnell is in the opposition, so if he performs anywhere near decent, his got a good chance of getting the gig at Cape Town instead of Albie.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Ashwell is probably my favourite SA cricketer atm. He gets dropped and gets the news he has to open to get a spot in the squad. He goes out and gets a 150. Nice!

Rant0r

International 12th Man
as long as he doesn't turn out like mackenzie.

i didn't see him play last year, but having seen him play against australia, i'm wondering where all those runs last year came from. he might be the new age daryl cullinan

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
as long as he doesn't turn out like mackenzie.

i didn't see him play last year, but having seen him play against australia, i'm wondering where all those runs last year came from. he might be the new age daryl cullinan
His century at Headingley last summer was AWESOME.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
yeah might be the new cullinan, quality runs against all oppositions in all conditions, except australia

Evermind

International Debutant
Is there any doubt that Prince >>>>> McKenzie, no matter what position he plays in? He looks about a hundred times more comfortable at the crease.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
That's all stats though. He has looked terrific despite his lack of runs, which is exactly why the selectors stuck with him. And it payed off.

EDIT: And he hardly scored them slowly.
It kind of paid off...

We lost the series that he played in 4-1 and lost the first game against NZ.
So 1 win and 5 losses for the games he played in - certainly not his fault, but his batting style isn't a "game winning" style.
Haddin at the top of the order produced some 'game winning' innings in that he scored quickly and went on with the job to make the 100.

As I've said before, Sean Marsh suffers from concentration lapses - which seriously hinder his ability to be a top class player. He's made 4 first class centuries in his 50+ game career. He just vagues out way to often.
And watch him in the field in the ODIs - there were numerous occasions this summer where he was standing by vacantly as the ball cannoned into the fence some 10m to the side of him. The commentators generously gave him the 'sun in the eyes' excuse - but if it happens several times in a summer, and only ever to one player - a player who has a history of spacing out - it's more likely that he lost concentration in the field too (he didn't move 1 step - normally 'sun in the eyes' guys put their hands in front of the eyes and shuffle around like goons... )

Having said that, Sean Marsh made a couple of scores - but they weren't dominant scores or match winning scores.
In 6 games he put on 233 runs at a SR of 74.

If the Aussie team is going to have a moderate paced opener who they want to lean on to be the 'backbone' of the innings, then surely Michael Clarke is the logical candidate? Sean Marsh won't go on and make a big hundred - Clarke/ Haddin to open, Ferguson down the order to accelerate makes more sense.
I would've thought Philip Hughes might've snuck ahead of Marsh in the selectors estimation now anyway? There's a replacement if Clarke can't play who can also make the big scores and pace the innings.

I realise I'm arguing uphill against Marsh here considering the quick start he's made to his ODI career - but it flies in the face of his domestic performances and it'll be shocking if he keeps it up.
I'm pretty certain it won't, hence I don't see the point in picking him until he's in the kind of form where he makes runs - not the kind of form where he looks good, scores slowly and doesn't make runs...

Time will tell I guess!

Last edited:

Rant0r

International 12th Man
he wouldn't be the first to make runs despite not being in obvious form.

and i'm still flabbergasted at calling him and clarke slow scorers

bloody generation y, brought up on ****ing mccricket

Rant0r

International 12th Man
for starters it's not terrible, it's below his average. but take into account if you get out early that's going to affect your chances of accelerating it as you generally start slower. he's also ben down on fitness during that period and whatever other factors you want to throw in there as reasons (pitch and opposition). i hardly think it's an accurate representation of how he bats as a whole, he's quite likely to come out in the next one dayer and blast a hundred.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
yeah, and he's scored 2 of them of them as an opener and one at 4, which is likely the position he will be occupying in the one dayers

all i meant was that you can hardly take the last 14 one dayers as an accurate representation of his general scoring rate, which is quite aggressive, and listed as reasons he was possibly down on his usual strike rate during that period. i actually still don't think he's fully fit either.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
he wouldn't be the first to make runs despite not being in obvious form.

and i'm still flabbergasted at calling him and clarke slow scorers

bloody generation y, brought up on ****ing mccricket
I'm probably older than you - but lets leave that aside...

Sean Marsh is not a quick scorer in the modern age?

I don't understand what makes you think he is?

Is it his 74SR at international level, or his 75 at domestic level?

For the record, as an opening batsman, that's slow.

You're probably right on Clarke - he's generally not slow, just has been the last year. But I'd be surprised if he's not opening from now on in the one-dayers. He's one of our most consistent batsmen, and pairing him with the faster scoring Haddin provides a solid combination at the top of the order.
Follow that with Ponting, Hussey, Ferguson, Hussey, White, Hopes, Johnson, whoever and Bracken and it's a lineup that keeps the scoreboard ticking over on a regular basis.

Burgey

I'm probably older than you - but lets leave that aside...

Sean Marsh is not a quick scorer in the modern age?

I don't understand what makes you think he is?

Is it his 74SR at international level, or his 75 at domestic level?

For the record, as an opening batsman, that's slow.

You're probably right on Clarke - he's generally not slow, just has been the last year. But I'd be surprised if he's not opening from now on in the one-dayers. He's one of our most consistent batsmen, and pairing him with the faster scoring Haddin provides a solid combination at the top of the order.
Follow that with Ponting, Hussey, Ferguson, Hussey, White, Hopes, Johnson, whoever and Bracken and it's a lineup that keeps the scoreboard ticking over on a regular basis.

Burgey

Sorry mate, just don't think White has done enough to justify his place in the side ATM.

Not that he's Robinson Crusoe in that regard when it comes to ODIs of late :)