• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
stupid on field call, Smith was 2m outside his crease. Not out would definitely NOT have been reviewed. i rest my case
Go read the LBW law. If the ball is hitting the stumps, it is out. The fact that umpires often aren't confident with giving those decisions, or the South Africans wouldn't have considered it plumb enough to overturn, is entirely irrelevant.

Smith can count himself unlucky because of those factors, certainly. But the decision was not stupid; it was literally proven to be correct.

cnerd123

likes this
Let it just sink in that a finger-spinner making his debut at Perth just dismissed the Aussie captain/best batsman/head **** for a duck, LBW a long way down the wicket, in his fourth over.

How unlikely is that?

Keshav Maharaj WAFG.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Like, it's awful luck, but it's out.
Bad luck, yes. Awful luck,no. It was clipping the stumps ffs. Awful luck is being run out at the non strikers end.

Plenty of others have been dismissed to deliveries showing to be clipping on DRS, including KW a couple of times in the last month or so, and nobody really said boo.

I hope there isn't a bid deal made about this one just because it's Steve Smith.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Let it just sink in that a finger-spinner making his debut at Perth just dismissed the Aussie captain/best batsman/head **** for a duck, LBW a long way down the wicket, in his fourth over.

How unlikely is that?

Keshav Maharaj WAFG.
he needs to frame the moment when the ball hit the pad and hang it in his room

Burgey

Hilarious call from Dar tbh. Haven't seen him give anything like that out in over a decade of umpiring. I do hope to see him doing that consistently, but he won't do it. TBH I frankly reckon he's had a guess. Was a good guess though.

Ultimate lesson is to use your bat

Last edited:

Zinzan

nah Aleem Dar trying to be a hero with some brave call bullshit here

and stfu OS
Yeah, how dare he give one that shows to be clipping the stumps.

Clearly nobody informed Aleem about the new rule that says it has to be hitting middle pole.

*** me Aussies can be the worst sports when they don't get the benefit of the doubt & your doing that meme no favours.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Bad luck, yes. Awful luck,no. It was clipping the stumps ffs. Awful luck is being run out at the non strikers end.

Plenty of others have been dismissed to deliveries showing to be clipping on DRS, including KW a couple of times in the last month or so, and nobody really said boo.

I hope there isn't a bid deal made about this one just because it's Steve Smith.
Bad, awful. Tomato, tomato.

Either way, I think Smith is unluckier here than other 'just clipping' LBW dismissals because he was so far down the track, which historically has put enough doubt in umpire's minds for it not to be given out live (and, because it was only clipping, not overturned on review either). The bad luck, IMO, isn't related to the amount of ball hitting the stumps. The bad luck comes from historical trends of umpires not giving LBWs when guys are down the track (rightly or wrongly).

I mean, pre-DRS you expect the KW decision etc. to be given semi-regularly. You don't expect this one to be given pre-DRS.