• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Blocky

Banned
He only said it then because that was his first opportunity to say so, at the pre-match presser. Was he supposed to go around calling up journalists about an issue in which he had no involvement whatsoever and wanted nothing to do with?
tbh, he had ample opportunity considering this was also the week he complained about the selectors not giving him the team he wants. I get what you're saying in that this was the first press conference before it got blown into a major issue, but I don't exactly see him coming forward and admonishing the yobbos in the crowd who continue to boo Faf.

The only time I've ever seen him say something graceful was when they got beaten by NZ earlier in the year in a ODI series, he was gracious in defeat, but that came off the back of a bunch of whinging statements in the media, petulance at the crease and all of the traits I've brought up here.

I just can't see how men would want to play behind a guy who acts this way. Wasn't that half the issue that although tactically brilliant, Clarke had issues in the role?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hmmm yeah i guess australian cricketers are gonnna not get behind smith because he didn't defend faf. they're a kind lot, after all

Blocky

Banned
hmmm yeah i guess australian cricketers are gonnna not get behind smith because he didn't defend faf. they're a kind lot, after all
So the whole Clarke and the spirit of Cricket thing post Hughes has already turned into nothing more than lip service in the Aussie game then?

The results being generated by the side does not match the talent available to the side, that's usually down to captaincy and coaching.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gotta say, loved Lyon's bowling today. Definite spring in his stride in this test, maybe coz he was playing for his place or maybe he just decided "**** it, I will give it my best crack", Collingwood style since he knew it was his last chance salon.

Didn't watch too much of the match though, was alternating between this and the Eng/Ind game but Australia will have to play pretty poorly to lose from this position. Cant rule out De Kock rising to the occasion though...

Spark

Global Moderator
tbh, he had ample opportunity considering this was also the week he complained about the selectors not giving him the team he wants. I get what you're saying in that this was the first press conference before it got blown into a major issue, but I don't exactly see him coming forward and admonishing the yobbos in the crowd who continue to boo Faf.

The only time I've ever seen him say something graceful was when they got beaten by NZ earlier in the year in a ODI series, he was gracious in defeat, but that came off the back of a bunch of whinging statements in the media, petulance at the crease and all of the traits I've brought up here.

I just can't see how men would want to play behind a guy who acts this way. Wasn't that half the issue that although tactically brilliant, Clarke had issues in the role?
Somehow, I do not think this is Smith's problem.

Burgey

He could easily have come out earlier in the week and backed Faf up before the hearing, rather than wait until it had been an overblown issue and then say "Oh, well, we do it too". What will be interesting is how long Australia tolerate him as captain, I don't see them improving under his leadership, his only concern is how he is batting, not how the team is performing.
The only people who made it an overblown issue were the Saffers. His response to it was perfect.

Burgey

Gotta say, loved Lyon's bowling today. Definite spring in his stride in this test, maybe coz he was playing for his place or maybe he just decided "**** it, I will give it my best crack", Collingwood style since he knew it was his last chance salon.

Didn't watch too much of the match though, was alternating between this and the Eng/Ind game but Australia will have to play pretty poorly to lose from this position. Cant rule out De Kock rising to the occasion though...
Or maybe he had some runs to bowl to

Dan_M_Bali

U19 Debutant
So the whole Clarke and the spirit of Cricket thing post Hughes has already turned into nothing more than lip service in the Aussie game then?

The results being generated by the side does not match the talent available to the side, that's usually down to captaincy and coaching.

The Hughes tragedy/debacle has been cringe from the beginning. Should have been a solemn moment for his friends and family but people turned it into a national sh1tshow with so many gut wrenchingly eye rolling moments. Reminded me of the ****ing hysteria that the UK went through after Princess fecking Diana popped her clogs. The media is largely to blame.

Burgey

Dont forget parts of the Australian crowd, it seem to get to them for them to boo. Classy
I strongly believe they booed du Plessis because he acted like a prat, not because of the charge against him. He over egged it terribly

Burgey

You've got a terrible memory. Freddie is loved here. People think he was a good enough and likeable enough cricketer to be Australian.

In any event I recall english crowds booong every Australian side between 1989 and 2005 because they kept flogging them. What's your point? Or don't you have one like usual?

Dan_M_Bali

U19 Debutant
You've got a terrible memory. Freddie is loved here. People think he was a good enough and likeable enough cricketer to be Australian.

In any event I recall english crowds booong every Australian side between 1989 and 2005 because they kept flogging them. What's your point? Or don't you have one like usual?
We booed Ponting... more in a Pantomime way then anything malicious. I remember massive "Flintoff is a w*nker" chants in 2006.

I also think Langer got some stick... but that's because he thought he was mustard because kostya tszyu let him feel his penis once (or something along those lines). But that was more a barmy army vs Langer thing.

Last edited: