• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Easiest answer is to have Amla opening... He will anyways complement Elgar's defensive style perfectly. Faf can try to be the RSA wall at #3 with Duminy and AB at 4/5, depending on situation/form etc.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's pretty good on current form but I wouldn't call it monstrous. Reckon Amla should open, he's more than capable.

Marius

International Debutant
Monstrous?

I mean, it's good, but there's a blokes there averaging in the 30s and low 40s. There's still a big Kallis-shaped hole in the batting.
It's pretty good on current form but I wouldn't call it monstrous. Reckon Amla should open, he's more than capable.
Fair point.

I'm probably being blinded by having QDK coming in at seven. On current form that is pretty monstrous.

91Jmay

International Coach
South Africa have been known as ball tamperers for years and faced almost no punishment, however this incident doesn't look like much.

Marius

International Debutant
Not as monstrous as Broad at 11 :ph34r:
Without being facetious, I think after he copped it in the face (I can't remember who England was playing) his batting has fallen away terribly.

The best thing for me about Broad is that he reviews EVERYTHING.

He's the type of dude who will refer a nick to third slip.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Probably has to be a "fine" for Du Plessis, but hopefully a reprimand, as they have to be seen to say something about it - no-one should really care.

Think Handscomb's getting a tough run here

Sheffield Shield:

21 year old averaged 26
22 year old averaged 30
23 year old averaged 54
24 year old averaged 44
25 year old averaging 49 after two matches.

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/255/255738/f_Batting_by_Season.html

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I knew he'd done okay last season but I didn't realise he'd done so well in 2014/15; I thought that was a 35-40 averaging season for him rather than a big one like that. He's done okay for Australia A as well so I think that's actually a genuine case for selection.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is it just me, but is their an Aus mindset that you should be >25 to get a call to the test team? Smith obviously got an earlier call but I always seem to remember that Aus are reluctant to call young batsmen up?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Is it just me, but is their an Aus mindset that you should be >25 to get a call to the test team? Smith obviously got an earlier call but I always seem to remember that Aus are reluctant to call young batsmen up?
It's a bit of a cause/effect thing.

Since the professionalisation of first class cricket, more guys hanging around with only 6 first class teams means that not many guys are getting many opportunities under the age of 22. So since 2000 not many have established a good enough record <25 to push for selection.

Smith and Hughes probably the two guys who did manage to do it.

Marius

International Debutant
It's a bit of a cause/effect thing.

Since the professionalisation of first class cricket, more guys hanging around with only 6 first class teams means that not many guys are getting many opportunities under the age of 22. So since 2000 not many have established a good enough record <25 to push for selection.

Smith and Hughes probably the two guys who did manage to do it.
Have there been any serious calls for Australia to increase their number of FC sides?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
While I agree there is an issue with only picking 30> old year debutants, we've just witnessed the problem with picking a player based upon youth and hoping they eventually come good with a 'bit of faith'. M Marsh is the prime example of this. You keep hoping and picking them, but at the end of the day no one is benefitting from this.

It really reminds me of what the WI do. Just pick and hope when they're young but in the end they ain't good enough

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vic's infringing into my territory tbh

said it before, it's absolutely ridiculous that the ACT doesn't have a team. We've added one team to the shield in almost 70 years now (Tassie in the 70/80's, WA came in after WW2 right?). It's insane. ACT just has to be added (and similarly to the CA XI, there's steps being taken towards it. In the U17s/U19s, it's now NSW metro and NSW country/ACT. I think there's now a Vic metro and country too? Along with a CA XI and Northern Territory XI)

and like, if you wanna expand the BBL, you're gonna need the bulk of those guys to be playing FC/List A cricket anyway

Marius

International Debutant
Vic's infringing into my territory tbh

said it before, it's absolutely ridiculous that the ACT doesn't have a team. We've added one team to the shield in almost 70 years now (Tassie in the 70/80's, WA came in after WW2 right?). It's insane. ACT just has to be added (and similarly to the CA XI, there's steps being taken towards it. In the U17s/U19s, it's now NSW metro and NSW country/ACT. I think there's now a Vic metro and country too? Along with a CA XI and Northern Territory XI)

and like, if you wanna expand the BBL, you're gonna need the bulk of those guys to be playing FC/List A cricket anyway
Could you split some of the existing states up? Have two NSW teams - one based out of Sydney and another one out of Newcastle or something?