• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah the art of padding up is to be able to judge that the ball is not going to hit the stumps. Not sure why it is an art to come down the track and just pad up to a full ball which will definitely blast into the stumps if the pads were not on the way.
you're nullfying the umpires knowledge of what was gonna happen after it passed you since there is a lot that can happen in 3 metres - that's the whole point of it.

and the skill is in making contact and not getting stumped

Spark

Global Moderator
you're nullfying the umpires knowledge of what was gonna happen after it passed you since there is a lot that can happen in 3 metres - that's the whole point of it.

what exactly was going to happen after it passed? the ball abruptly makes a 90 degree turn and does a spiral?

harsh.ag

It's just "unfair" in the sense that no batsman would have expected to be given out that way because no batsman ever is. So, in Smith's head, it's a safe strategy precisely because of previous umpiring behaviour and hence he feels wronged.

mr_mister

what exactly was going to happen after it passed? the ball abruptly makes a 90 degree turn and does a spiral?
well its easier to judge bounce and deviation between batsman and wickets when he's in his crease

and it doesnt have to make a 90 degree turn to miss the stumps

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

When the ball is full enough or even a full toss, there is not much an umpire needs to guess. Esp. with a spinner, the trajectory, turn and bounce may well have been worked out by him from the earlier deliveries.

indiaholic

International Captain
Lol me calling vic a piece of **** disqualifies me immediately. Yeah vcs too.. Shady wins because his avtar is better.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I feel like this is a really premature call. Warner may be Australia's version of QdK and if Smith does an Amla, suddenly RSA feel more confident particularly with Marsh walking to the crease.at the loss of only 4 wickets.

Obviously we are well on top but we could easily undo that dominance in 1 session.
This was sadly such a good call.

The thing what I hate about Australia batting so badly is that we will need Mitch Marsh's bowling. However if we had a proper Test number 6, his bowling would not be required as much. So basically MitchMarsh being crap at batting is making MitchMarsh more valuable to the team due to his bowling, it is absolutely dire.

Starfighter

This was sadly such a good call.

The thing what I hate about Australia batting so badly is that we will need Mitch Marsh's bowling. However if we had a proper Test number 6, his bowling would not be required as much. So basically MitchMarsh being crap at batting is making MitchMarsh more valuable to the team due to his bowling, it is absolutely dire.
So basically Mitch Marsh cancels himself out?