• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suspect he's making a De Kock joke (as in we've just got over the De Kock controversy and now this Rabada one has happened)

Rasimione

U19 Captain
It's always Australia's fault. They are a blight on world cricket. They are blight on the world itself tbh. Don't know why a prison was given the independence as it's own country. You should be ashamed and embarrassed for being Australian, and should do the right thing and confine yourself to the cesspool known as the 'Ashes Subforum' where all the other nasty Australians reside.
Come on! . What's this? Harsh!

Bolo

State Captain
RSA AUS series are always the most interesting- the best bowling, and are always closely fought, with both teams capable away.

Tests in RSA are always the most interesting (assuming good opposition)- a nice balance between bat and ball, with an edge to the bowlers, which is what I like to watch, and very few matches being decided by the toss/an unpredictable session of conditions.

Individual tests between RSA and AUS in SA seem to make a habit of being one sided though. Two competitive teams, neither of which has the conditions favouring them much seem to have a habit of having matches over after the 1st innings. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next test follow this pattern in challenging conditions, although I have no idea which team is going together destroyed

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Downside of having multiple ***ual partners
Could you be more vague.

Give us the first letter of your affliction at the very least? A bagful of S perhaps, a bit of C crop up? Surely not an outbreak of the H spice?

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
This series will be more remembered for testing ICC rule book than the results of the matches!

Burgey

These series are often so entertaining because for a long time both sides have had good bowling attacks capable of keeping hem in the game. Makes for compelling cricket.

vcs

It's all about RSA's pitches IMO. Simply the best in the world at keeping the bowlers in the game, and offering some modicum of assistance to all types of bowlers.

It's a refreshing change from seeing 450+ first innings scores piled up routinely in Australia and some Asian wickets. I won't say all wickets should be like this though, that would again make it boring. The variation in conditions over the world is a good thing. But teams are generally always in with a chance in SA if they can get 250-300 in the first innings, whereas you have to play attritional and patient cricket over long periods on the flatter pitches in other parts of the world if you want to get a result against Australia or India at home.

OverratedSanity

It's all about RSA's pitches IMO. Simply the best in the world at keeping the bowlers in the game, and offering some modicum of assistance to all types of bowlers.

It's a refreshing change from seeing 450+ first innings scores piled up routinely in Australia and some Asian wickets. I won't say all wickets should be like this though, that would again make it boring. The variation in conditions over the world is a good thing. But teams are generally always in with a chance in SA if they can get 250-300 in the first innings, whereas you have to play attritional and patient cricket over long periods on the flatter pitches in other parts of the world if you want to get a result against Australia or India at home.
Yeah the pitches are the kind that don't neutralize certain bowling disciplines unlike the decks in most other countries. Asian conditions are ridiculously challenging to quicks, spinners usually go to Australia/NZ and die. SA is the only place where overseas quicks and spinners (even those from the SC) consistently get some success.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SA pitches also show the quality of a batsmen more than other places.... with the variation in and different challenges each pitch provides, along with continuous movement throughout a match. A hundred in SA is generally worth a heck lot more than some of the doubles else where in the world. And tends to show real class of players versus pretend class. Kohli in the recent series, was a really good example, Tendulkar, Ponting in the past. Handling the conditions far better than all the rest of the pretenders.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Yeah, apart from Sachin and Kohli, pretty much every subcontinent batsman has had a very tough time scoring consistently in SA, even legit greats like Dravid and Sanga were pretty sub-par for the most part.

Victor Ian

International Coach
SA pitches also show the quality of a batsmen more than other places.... with the variation in and different challenges each pitch provides, along with continuous movement throughout a match. A hundred in SA is generally worth a heck lot more than some of the doubles else where in the world. And tends to show real class of players versus pretend class. Kohli in the recent series, was a really good example, Tendulkar, Ponting in the past. Handling the conditions far better than all the rest of the pretenders.
I lament the loss of the ability I once had to boast such superior conditions in my country and elevate those who prospered in them. In one way, the poor attendances of test cricket might help South Africa maintain these conditions as they are less rewarded in the dollar chase that creates flat roads. (maybe)

Bolo

State Captain
I lament the loss of the ability I once had to boast such superior conditions in my country and elevate those who prospered in them. In one way, the poor attendances of test cricket might help South Africa maintain these conditions as they are less rewarded in the dollar chase that creates flat roads. (maybe)
I think it's more of a long sighted vs short sighted view on revenues. Longer matches pull in more revenue via TV in RSA even if the stadium doesn't, but RSA seem less intent on killing the golden goose. Tbf though, I'd imagine evening looking at only TV revenue, test cricket would probably comprise a lower portion of revenue than in AUS, so there is less desire to milk it.

Damn, I hate short sighted administrators in all walks of life