• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
The Black Caps now paying $1.98 on BetFair, Aussie $2. This is the first time I've ever seen NZ considered favourites over Aussie in a cricket match in 25 years.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What's the issue with Nicholls? I haven't seen anything of him at FC level but don't have an issue with a guy who averages 105 this season and 43 last year, whilst looking the part at international level in his limited time.

And it's not a bad approach, picking a guy that has seemingly come into the environment and showed himself to be comfortable in it. Technique wise, he looks okay to me. I know he tried to biff the Sri Lankan A (?) attack in Lincoln which is where a few people are coming from, I'd guess.

Will Young hasn't done enough this season, if he'd bossed a few more innings he might have been closer.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He looks okay but there are times he looks absolutely agricultural. Mind you an early Ross Taylor was quite similar. From what I've seen from Young I think he's a better long term test prospect.

vandem

International 12th Man
NZ team covering all bases. 5 seamers in the squad, could play 4 and Santner, or 4 and Santner and Anderson, or 3 and Santner and Anderson.

Assume Henry is there to cover Southee in case recovery is not as good as hoped for (but could edge out Bracewell for 4th seamer spot). Santner will play, so Nicholls and Anderson and Bracewell / Henry are battling for the final 2 spots in the final XI, gives BMac and selectors 3 very different options of bowling balance.

I'm half hoping that Southee has a niggle after the ND game, means that Henry takes the new ball that he deserves soon.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Young looks like enough of a proper young batsman to reliably edge Hazelwood behind for 5 I guess, but I hope he gets a debut in the next 12-24 months against easier opposition - perhaps at home next summer if there's a gap at 4 or 5.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
NZ team covering all bases. 5 seamers in the squad, could play 4 and Santner, or 4 and Santner and Anderson, or 3 and Santner and Anderson.

Assume Henry is there to cover Southee in case recovery is not as good as hoped for (but could edge out Bracewell for 4th seamer spot). Santner will play, so Nicholls and Anderson and Bracewell / Henry are battling for the final 2 spots in the final XI, gives BMac and selectors 3 very different options of bowling balance.

I'm half hoping that Southee has a niggle after the ND game, means that Henry takes the new ball that he deserves soon.
Yeah you could make an argument to pick any number of different 5-bowler attacks from the squad chosen. The pecking order seems to be:
Southee = Boult
Wagner = Bracewell
Henry

but the top-2 have injury/form issues and Henry has been in great form in the ODIs.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Black Caps now paying $1.98 on BetFair, Aussie $2. This is the first time I've ever seen NZ considered favourites over Aussie in a cricket match in 25 years.
Must have been close to favourites when we won the series 3-0 in 2007?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'm pretty sure all three of those matches were considered upsets (especially the first one, which we won by ten wickets).

IIRC Aussie was considerably stronger than us at the time, even if they didn't have a couple of top players for that series.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That was the one I thought of. Brought over a weak squad - no McGrath, Warne (or was he banned?), Ponting etc - and got flogged. After we won the 1st ODI by 10 wickets I reckon we would've been favourites.

TheJediBrah

I'm pretty sure all three of those matches were considered upsets (especially the first one, which we won by ten wickets).

IIRC Aussie was considerably stronger than us at the time, even if they didn't have a couple of top players for that series.
NZ might have been favourites, that series was right before the 2007 world cup and Aus were without their 5 or 6 best players. It was actually a big controversy with people complaining about all the players being rested being "disrespectful" etc.

edit: no Gilchrist, Ponting, Clarke, Symonds

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
That was the one I thought of. Brought over a weak squad - no McGrath, Warne (or was he banned?), Ponting etc - and got flogged. After we won the 1st ODI by 10 wickets I reckon we would've been favourites.
Warne retired from ODI cricket in 2003, and was retired from Tests just before that series started too. Never would've played that series.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne retired from ODI cricket in 2003, and was retired from Tests just before that series started too. Never would've played that series.
Quite right, I am a fool. I knew he got the drug ban in a World Cup year and walked 4 years too far forward. Yes to McGrath too but not the big gun batsmen.

My greatest memory of that 1st ODI was Bond cleaning up Haddin with an inswinger that bent in at 45deg about halfway down, that the big douche aimed a cover drive at and missed by about 3 feet. Shame we didn't know what a **** he was then or it'd have been even sweeter.

Spark

Global Moderator
NZ might have been favourites, that series was right before the 2007 world cup and Aus were without their 5 or 6 best players. It was actually a big controversy with people complaining about all the players being rested being "disrespectful" etc.

edit: no Gilchrist, Ponting, Clarke, Symonds
IIRC that series was one reason why nobody seriously talked about Mussey ever captaining Aus again.

TheJediBrah

IIRC that series was one reason why nobody seriously talked about Mussey ever captaining Aus again.
nah just a coincidence, he was never really a captaincy prospect. He had the job because Ponting, Gilchrist and Clarke were rested.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If he was as boring as a captain and motivator as he is a commentator, no wonder it was 0-3. I imagine he's a pretty strong antidote to jet lag, however.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Fleming & Vincent chasing down whatever it was without losing a wicket felt pretty sweet.

Spark

Global Moderator
nah just a coincidence, he was never really a captaincy prospect. He had the job because Ponting, Gilchrist and Clarke were rested.
Yeah but with the generalised doubts at the board level in CA re: Clarke's appointment and the fact that Hussey had just scored well in the 2010-11 Ashes, you'd have thought his name would have come up at least as a possible option, but no.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Much is made about Australia resting key players in that series in 2007 but by 3rd odi in Hamilton most of NZ's top players were missing. Astle had retired a few weeks earlier (thanks John Bracewell!) during the tri series in Oz, while Bond, Vettori and Oram were missing after injuries in the 1st two CH games and Mills was also out injured. That's our best batsman and 4 best bowlers.

The bowling 'attack' for Hayden's 181* consisted of:

Tuffey
Franklin
Gillespie (his batting won us the game admittedly)
Patel
Styris
McMillan

Meanwhile Australia had Bracken, Tait, Johnson, Hogg, Watson, Voges

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Nicholls in for the Test series, Ross out. I like Nicholls as a player and happy to see him in, but obviously losing a guy who scored 290 two Tests ago is a bitter pill to swallow. BJ also under observation as well which creates the possibility of walking wicket Ronchi batting at 7.

Tom Latham is shaping as our most important player. If he keeps looking good for starts and getting out, he's going to put significant pressure on a shaky middle order.

Presume it'll be Santner as front-line spinner (sigh) with three seamers and Anderson. Wagner unlucky again?
If Anderson gets picked ahead of Wagner, surely Ronchi (on form if he plays ) would be pushed to 8 below Corey and Santner