• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually assumed he got an inside edge on it at first and was given out caught.
I didn't, but my first thought was wow that's high.

This is my bugbear and I don't want to start another inane umpiring discussion like I think I have previously. But if you're Derek Walker (pretty sure it was him), how the hell is there no doubt in your mind that is out? A guy is jumping, probably batting a touch outside his crease for all I know, and there's no benefit of the doubt at all to be given, it's definitely out? I mean he's had 55 odd overs to see there's more than enough bounce in the track.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I think he just felt the need to clarify because the commentators went on for about 15 minutes about how it was his fault and how Warner wouldn't be happy with him.
Yeah this would have to be it. Was pretty OTT the way they went on and on about it with absolutely no idea what was actually said.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I didn't, but my first thought was wow that's high.
Yeah, I had the TV on mute at the time which probably contributed to my impression, but it just seemed way too high to be lbw and it carried to slip so I assumed it was caught until I turned the sound back on and heard the commentators laying into Bailey.

thierry henry

International Coach
I was in the ground at about a 45 degree angle to it and immediately thought it was ridiculously high, I was just about to say something along the lines of "jeez calm down Boulty" because his appeal seemed a little silly to me, but then Walker just fired Warner immediately. Absolutely awful decision and hard to imagine how you could see that as "probably hitting"....must've really exaggerated the notions of "Warner is short" and "Boult is skiddy".

thierry henry

International Coach
Only defence I will give the umpire is that to me, when I got home and watched it on TV, there's a bit of an illusion at full speed that it hit him lower than it actually did. I've always thought from playing cricket (maybe not exactly an original thought) that the umpire and bowler are in basically the worst position for judging height on LBWs. Maybe Walker mistakenly thought that the ball had kept seriously low.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nicholls in for the Test series, Ross out. I like Nicholls as a player and happy to see him in, but obviously losing a guy who scored 290 two Tests ago is a bitter pill to swallow. BJ also under observation as well which creates the possibility of walking wicket Ronchi batting at 7.

Tom Latham is shaping as our most important player. If he keeps looking good for starts and getting out, he's going to put significant pressure on a shaky middle order.

Presume it'll be Santner as front-line spinner (sigh) with three seamers and Anderson. Wagner unlucky again?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nicholls will score a ton, mark my words and let Jono dig this up for pure irony should I be wrong

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Would prefer Will Young longer term, or one of the other young prospects (perhaps Robbie O'Donnell in a few years). Nicholl's only advantage here is that he's unconventional and might snag a few early-career runs through that. I hope this doesn't make him the automatic choice for McCullum's spot after this series, unless he earns it with runs.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Who would you pick instead of Nicholls?

EDIT: I also think Young is the better long-term option, but his conversion rate is still pretty suspect. Might be ~12 months away from ready.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the hate for Nicholls is based purely on the spelling of his name and nothing else. what a bunch of vain ****s

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Brownlie not an option? Pleased for Nicholls anyway. Needs to continue his uncomplicated approach.

Flem274*

123/5
There are no ideal options really. NZ can't just replace a player like Ross.

Young is my boi but Nicholls actually turns his 50s into tons. May as well find out how good our shovel is. If it works we have our very own gloriously ugly troll and it would be great.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I actually assumed he got an inside edge on it at first and was given out caught.
Me too. This was because the camera followed the ball and then Guptill caught it and went up.

Davey Dum Dum should have thought "Hey, both of my feet were off the ground and it still hit me above the knee roll."

Shane Watson would have reviewed that 100 times out of 100.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Okay I care less about this series now I just wanted Ross to boss some home town hundys. All I've got to look forward to is Boult-Southee maybe firing. Edit: he may be out for one match which is not as bad as I thought. Man after the tour to Aus I was hoping both sides would be at full strength but it's looking pretty scratchy now without Starc, Johnson, Taylor and potentially Watling out.

Last edited:

NZTailender

think you're reading into it a bit much tbh
Yeah probably

Some honesty in the media, I love it. Sounds like short of begging him to review it on the basis he was the world's greatest batsman, Bailey couldn't have done much more to save Davey's arse.
Maybe it's the honesty I'm not used too. Fair enough if it's just simple explanation but it just seemed a little odd that you'd say everything including the sort of confusing comments in the dressing room after. Oh well that's good if it's a misunderstanding.

I mean who didn't watch it live at the grounds, on TV or anywhere and think mmmm that's pretty damn high? Lounge room comfort and all that, plus the fact lbws can be notoriously hard to get overturned, but I was amazed there was no review. Maybe had the Eden Park World Cup dismissal in his mind where Warner's review was clipping the top, Boult is skiddy etc. Let's not also forget it's a pretty poor decision by the umpire, too.
I thought oh! lbw! wait nah his feet were off the ground. But I was sure it had deflected off the bat which is why they appealed harder after slip took the catch.

NZTailender

Would've hoped that Will Young was #1 'up and comer' reserve Test batsman with Brownlie the old-hand Test batsmen (who actually is deserving of a recall). I guess two 50s for Nicholls has upped his stocks dramatically.