• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stroke... Peter Nevill is underrated. As good with the gloves as anyone else I've seen around recently.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah comms but scoring record breaking third innings runs against India and Sri Lanka to rescue yourself from a day one implosion is one thing, doing it against a good bowling attack isn't going to happen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
yeah comms but scoring record breaking third innings runs against India and Sri Lanka to rescue yourself from a day one implosion is one thing, doing it against a good bowling attack isn't going to happen.
Yeah but that's not going to stop people watching an Everybody Loves Raymond marathon instead.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really enjoying the sound of insects in the background of the commentary at the moment.

Fix it ffs

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
On one of the recent cricket sadist hour pods, Jarrod Kimber was talking about how all-rounders are usually a Botham or a bit of a joke, with very little in between.

Marsh isn't quite Botham yet...
This is certainly how your average cricket fan tends to think of all-rounders but I really don't think it's true at all. There's tons of middling all-rounders who are decent contributors, usually in one field moreso than another, without being world beaters. It just seems more extreme because a player who is genuinely good at two disciplines is so influential that they really stand out, and when they don't do well they tend to be given much more time in the side than a one discipline player who is failing, since they can keep their position by performing in another discipline, like Marsh has been doing to a degree with the ball (and potential, I guess).

But they seem to provoke the most extreme reactions from supporters. If you asked the average English cricket fan who their best cricketer of the last 15 years was I'd imagine Flintoff would get more mentions than anyone else when his record really isn't that special, he just had a period of his career where he was exceptional, and you'd get the opposite reaction from Australians with Watson but again, he had some pretty good periods where he was one of the better contributors in the team.