• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

R_D

International Debutant
India better win today or i'm going to get raped by mates.
Going for end of Football (Soccer) season trip to Adelaide so i'm going to cop it if India don't win as i messaged everyone after the T20 semi final win.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Newspaper was reporting this morning that Hodge will get another chance in today's match :@

Better not be so

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Probably because he has so much potential.
And because his ODI failures have been greatly exaggerated. He was completely useless when he first came into the team and he's been just as useless in this series, but he had quite a good run for a while after he was moved to #5.

Chappell-Hadlee Trophy 2005/06
13 v New Zealand (#4)
0 v New Zealand (#4)
59 v New Zealand (#4)

VB Series 2005/06
5 v Sri Lanka (#3)
2 v Sri Lanka (#3)

Commonwealth Bank Series 2006/07
0 v England (#3)
1 v England (#3)
99* v New Zealand (#5)
5 v England (#5)
45 v England (#5)

Chappell-Hadlee Trophy 2006/07
22 v New Zealand (#5)
97* v New Zealand (#5)
12 v New Zealand (#5)

World Cup 2006/07
29 v Scotland (#4)
123 v Netherlands (#5)

Australia in India 2007/08
0 v India (#3)
3 v India (#3)
3 v India (#6)
17 v India (#6)

By position
#3 - 11 runs @ 1.83
#4 - 84 runs @ 21.00
#5 - 424 runs @ 84.80
#6 - 20 runs @ 10.00

(#5, excluding the match against Netherlands - 301 runs @ 75.25)

So, what can we gather from all this?

* Despite either opening or batting #3 in domestic cricket, he doesn't seem to have the required technique to do so. He's been given numerous opportunities at this position and failed regularly.

* He relishes the middle order role at #5 with two unbeaten scores in the 90s and a ton (albeit that ton against the Netherlands..) and he fully deserves further opportunities there.

* He's in bad form currently.

While his form may not justify selection for the next game over Haddin, the comments suggesting he has been a failure for Australia in one day cricket in general are way off IMO, as his performances away from the new ball have been exceptional. I'd expect Andrew Symonds, for example, to struggle similarly if he had to bat at #3 regularly. I don't want to see Hodge at #3 for Australia in ODIs ever again and I wouldn't pick him today either but he's not the failure he's made out to be and I'm certainly for him remaining the "next cab off the rank" for a #5/6 role.

hardnut

Cricket Spectator
...So, what can we gather from all this?

* Despite either opening or batting #3 in domestic cricket, he doesn't seem to have the required technique to do so. He's been given numerous opportunities at this position and failed regularly.

* He relishes the middle order role at #5 with two unbeaten scores in the 90s and a ton (albeit that ton against the Netherlands..) and he fully deserves further opportunities there.

* He's in bad form currently.

While his form may not justify selection for the next game over Haddin, the comments suggesting he has been a failure for Australia in one day cricket in general are way off IMO, as his performances away from the new ball have been exceptional. I'd expect Andrew Symonds, for example, to struggle similarly if he had to bat at #3 regularly. I don't want to see Hodge at #3 for Australia in ODIs ever again and I wouldn't pick him today either but he's not the failure he's made out to be and I'm certainly for him remaining the "next cab off the rank" for a #5/6 role.
Good post EWS - agree with all you say. This is a crunch game and it would be great to see an in-form player in the team rather than Hodge, but his failures have been somewhat exaggerated. Problem for him is that another failure in an important match will do his career more damage than being dropped for Haddin.

PS I assume you have that avatar because you lost a bet :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, that's unbelievable. 23 runs from 4 innings and he's still getting picked over Haddin.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Hodge selected again. Haddin would be feeling ' whats enough I need to score in my next match if given a chance to get selected over Hodge'

biased indian

International Coach
wht the hell are they doing getting run out in the first over...who problem was that.....

dravid should come to bat now i think