• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Virtually no point in having 4 Test Match series' when every pitch in the series is created to produce a result on the 3rd day.

This series should still be in the balance.

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Gotta say, watching Ashwin and Lyon bowling so beautifully from around the wicket to righthanders this series has been an unexpected pleasure.

Also, massive credit to Kuhnemann and Murphy for bowling so well this test.
Are you going to factor in the low scoring nature of this series when assessing Labuschagne's away record in India in his career totality? His efforts so far would be worth an average of mid 40's in 2000's Indian conditions.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Virtually no point in having 4 Test Match series' when every pitch in the series is created to produce a result on the 3rd day.

This series should still be in the balance.
There’s no way the first two decks were 3 day result worthy. They were made that way because Australia’s batting was inept against good bowling. If Aus had adopted the approach to batting they used here when they batted a second time in Delhi instead of sweeping everything, they’d have probably won.

this one I think was a lottery deck - even when people batted well they were going to cop one eventually.

Spark

Global Moderator
There’s no way the first two decks were 3 day result worthy. They were made that way because Australia’s batting was inept against good bowling. If Aus had adopted the approach to batting they used here when they batted a second time in Delhi instead of sweeping everything, they’d have probably won.

this one I think was a lottery deck - even when people batted well they were going to cop one eventually.
Not to mention if Australia had had the tactical alacrity they showed in this match when Axar and Ashwin were putting on that partnership. Even with the batting that's a very different game if Aus get a big first innings lead.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia, you ****ing beauty!

Didn't expect to see that result when I finally managed to check in this afternoon.

subshakerz

International Coach
That went about as well as anyone could have foreseen. It is really a battle of very flawed batting lineups on bowler friendly, yet reasonable wickets. If anything, this pitch esp. on day 1 was the most bowler friendly but even that settled down past the first session. Australia were far more relentless with the ball but it once again shows you why its actually a good idea to bowl first in the winter wickets in India, esp. if they are as used as the tracks this year have been.

The only chances India had in the test were with the ball on day 1 when we sucked and then with the bat on day 2 when quite a few batsmen got in but were dismissed. The fielding essentially ended up being the difference with those two brilliant catches really being decisive in the end.

No point in going after the bowles when the batting has been this inept though. And the scary part is, without Pant, it is really showing up how bad the rest of the batting line up is. Shreyas is fine and Pujara keeps rediscovering some form when on the verge of enough low scores to be dropped but Virat really needs to start using strokes that help him access the entire field instead of closing up areas he can score off or he has to be dropped. Even for his own sake, I think he needs time in the FC circuit and maybe in the counties in England to rediscover his red ball batting. I was hoping his improved form in LO would translate, especially as I saw he had started to at least give himself the option of the cut shot against fast bowlers these days but he is still a bit of a sitting duck against spin as he really does not push the score along and there are always catchers around to take advantage of the smallest mistake.

I expect Ahmedabad to be more like Nagpur than Indore and so would probably have Shami replace Siraj and Kuldeep replace Umesh. I dont think adding SKY to the line up will change too much for us, so most likely I expect Ishan Kishan to get the game at Ahmedabad as our batting is the part that sucked this game. Pujara got runs, Virat is Virat and Gill and Shreyas have just come back to the side. The actual disappointment this test was Jadeja. He is now expected to score runs and he looked pretty bad both innings and his bowling was completely off color as well. Hopefully he is back at his best at Motera or else we are screwed big time.

All that said though, the Aussie line up is prone to lollapses too, so we may yet win even with this joke of a batting line up.
I disagree. Australia have a generally better batting lineup but they are faced with just an uber bowling attack that can rip through any lineup on Earth on these pitches, whereas India has a lineup in poor form otherwise they should be expected to score more.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Wonder what would have happened if Cummins went home earlier than he did. Tactically asleep at the wheel and bowled really poorly

Burgey

Why did Shubman have a hack shot 2nd innings the guy has class and better technique than a shot like that.
I don’t know that he does mate. He’s averaging about 35. He might not be that good*

*cue a 4th test double hundred

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Idk if Gill has the defensive technique to thrive if India keeps making tracks like this tbh. Seems much more comfortable with pace and bounce, has very hard hands when he defends.
Yes you are right. He did well on Australia too because of this reason.

Burgey

Wonder what would have happened if Cummins went home earlier than he did. Tactically asleep at the wheel and bowled really poorly
He bowled poorly in one spell tbf to him. Maybe he wasn’t as great as usual because of what was happening off field.

I would still take him over any quick in the world, everywhere if he’s fit and not having the sort of family crisis he’s got going on now. He’s all-timer standard.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He bowled poorly in one spell tbf to him. Maybe he wasn’t as great as usual because of what was happening off field.

I would still take him over any quick in the world, everywhere if he’s fit and not having the sort of family crisis he’s got going on now. He’s all-timer standard.
Yeah I’m specifically referring to a Cummins that is obviously distracted and for good reasons…I mean, he chronically underbowled himself for instance and his captaincy was poor

Burgey

Yeah I’m specifically referring to a Cummins that is obviously distracted and for good reasons…I mean, he chronically underbowled himself for instance and his captaincy was poor
Yeah that was way off kilter wasn’t it? If anyone else is captain there they throw him the ball for at least an over or two to see if he could jag one or two.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Idk if Gill has the defensive technique to thrive if India keeps making tracks like this tbh. Seems much more comfortable with pace and bounce, has very hard hands when he defends.
Haha yeah I reckon he's probably an Australian #5, ideally. Awks given what he actually is.