• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Compton

International Debutant
It wasn't a terrible pitch to bat on, just a typical day 4 Asian pitch. Remember Australia's run rate was 5 an over in the initial overs.
Did you watch the match?

The pitch was absolute garbage. The spin is one thing, but every second ball just straight up didn't bounce, and then once an over one would skip up to twice the height it ought to.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He was probably right tbh.

If Warner hadn't been given out Australia probably chase comfortably. They really ought to still have caught it comfortably if Smith hadn't been done by a shooter, and really still ought to have if not for MMarsh and Wade failing.

It's one of those things. I agree with Clarke that it wasn't enough, and I don't think Australia ultimately failing to chase it changes that.
You can't say that based solely on how they were going against the new ball. Like Hayden pointed out a couple of times, matches here really only begin once the shine wears off.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LOL.. winning against Australia always good just for this kind of biased bull **** whining. :)
Oh please

He is obviously a fine bowler but so is Jackson Bird and Ashwin in India is the equivalent of the latter playing on a WACA green-top 3 matches out of 5

Play the 3rd test on any Australian/SA/ENG/NZ ground and he would perform as ordinarily as he does in virtually every other overseas test

Spark

Global Moderator
Really the **** moment was that 4/7 collapse on Day 3. Burgey was spot on, we should have buried them then and there.

Compton

International Debutant
You can't say that based solely on how they were going against the new ball. Like Hayden pointed out a couple of times, matches here really only begin once the shine wears off.
I'm not just basing it off of how they batted with the new ball though. I think if Warner doesn't get given out there, Australia win.

I don't think they'd have scored at 5 an over to get there, but not losing their challenge and having Warner there for at least another few overs would have made a big difference. India got a big lift from that wicket, and I don't think - had it not been given - they'd have been far away from getting really demoralised.

But hey, that's cricket.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wise of Pujara to throw a bone to The Kohli Way in the post match interview.
Anything over 200 was almost impossible here. Once we crossed 150, we were confident. When I went in to bat, I never thought about the runs. I just had a positive intent.
Not thinking and Intent was what did it everyone.

bigmitch

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Are we all just going to sit here and ignore the fact that two reasonable quality batsman were dismissed just before tea with the runs required at 87 and one of those having scored 13

Anyway, well played India. Congrats to the gambhiring...the gambhir.....idk, the gambhirists??

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Don't know how to feel about Ashwin's match-winning turn. Till that happened, I was thinking it wouldn't be so bad to have him "rested" for the next Test. I do hope he's rediscovered his release and rhythm like he said in the intie, because we can't afford having him look so ordinary again.

Spark

Global Moderator
Wise of Pujara to throw a bone to The Kohli Way in the post match interview.

Not thinking and Intent was what did it everyone.
He has a point though, didn't he? It was noticeable from the beginning of India's innings that they were far more aggressive with their general approach to batting, particularly their running.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke has been mixing being insightful on the game with being the Channel 9 cheer leader and sledging India subtly in the comm box. I hope they give it back to him like he deserves.
Yeah but it's the equivalent of having Lee and Hayden as paid shills for the BCCI - they are preaching to the converted

Compton

International Debutant
Really the **** moment was that 4/7 collapse on Day 3. Burgey was spot on, we should have buried them then and there.
Absolutely.

Everyone slogging out was never the tactic there. With so much time left in the game Australia should have looked to milk singles and punish bad balls for as long as possible. Maybe break Ashwin in the mean time.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not just basing it off of how they batted with the new ball though. I think if Warner doesn't get given out there, Australia win.

I don't think they'd have scored at 5 an over to get there, but not losing their challenge and having Warner there for at least another few overs would have made a big difference. India got a big lift from that wicket, and I don't think - had it not been given - they'd have been far away from getting really demoralised.

But hey, that's cricket.
And if Smith gets one that bounces above ankle height you could say the same thing. But there's no guarantee that it doesn't happen on exactly the next ball, and ultimately I think 190 is just a bridge too far for us right now. Maybe if we had a really settled, in-form top 6, but that's rare in itself.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Anyway, well played India. Congrats to the gambhiring...the gambhir.....idk, the gambhirists??
No way. I really like this community, but that aspect is easily its worst and not what someone trawling through tour threads after missing the day's play is looking for.

anil1405

International Captain
Intensity wise this has to be one of the best test matches I have seen. Every session was so gripping and neither team was giving an inch away for most part of the game until the collapse was triggered late in the innings in each of the four innings.

Watching Australia bat on day 2 was scary. It seemed like they did mend their ways to dig it out and take the game away from India but luckily we managed to hang around.

Pujara-Rahane partnership was a series changing one.

India will lose this series if they don't up their game a notch or two. But they did well to come back from a demoralizing first test defeat so all good for now and the SERIES IS ALIVE.