• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Kirkut

International Regular
Ishant set up the rhythm for us, his aggressive spell to Renshaw and Smith set the stage for Ashwin.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's different though. I think if it had been a chase of 140-150, I think Australia would've won. Those extra 40-50 runs put so much pressure.
Nah I think we would have gotten all out for almost the same score if not less.

Weird **** happens when you get close to a target, particularly with the pitch doing weird ****.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Tbf he wasn't alone in saying it, and was saying the same thing when Australia was well in front.
Honestly don't mind people saying the pitch was poor and it led to luck playing an impact on individual batsman surviving.

What I massively disagree with is that the result overall was a lottery. Independent of luck, India on average played better cricket in a few key sessions which led to them winning. To not acknowledge that and say it was all down to luck is in poor taste IMO.

Compton

International Debutant
Clarke kept on going on about how this score isn't big enough for India, wonder what he has to say now lol.
He was probably right tbh.

If Warner hadn't been given out Australia probably chase comfortably. They really ought to still have caught it comfortably if Smith hadn't been done by a shooter, and really still ought to have if not for MMarsh and Wade failing.

It's one of those things. I agree with Clarke that it wasn't enough, and I don't think Australia ultimately failing to chase it changes that.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both sides need one change. Vijay back for Mukund and Maxwell in for MMarsh. Australia also need Nevill in for Wade but let's not get carried away in our snob emotions.

I also wouldn't mind replacing Ishant, even though he did well today and has shown a lot of heart. That depends on the next pitch though.

Great day of cricket. A bit of a tame ending. Kudos to Australia for the way they played this game. Both teams need to minimize their mistakes. There have been too many.
Shami in for ishant surely?

Spark

Global Moderator
That score was enough at a 100 run lead tbh.
Yeah even 100 runs would have been nerve-wracking as hell. Smith out all out, basically, because he's the one with the sort of temperament and experience to get his way through his conditions.

Get rid of him basically by default, and you've done most of the work.

EDIT: Also, in hindsight, I think everyone is still massively downplaying India's position after Day 1, even. 190 is not that bad a score, maybe 50 runs short. It's hardly the kind of setback which is only rarely overcome.

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
It wasn't a terrible pitch to bat on, just a typical day 4 Asian pitch. Remember Australia's run rate was 5 an over in the initial overs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Clarke kept on going on about how this score isn't big enough for India, wonder what he has to say now lol.

Clarke has been mixing being insightful on the game with being the Channel 9 cheer leader and sledging India subtly in the comm box. I hope they give it back to him like he deserves.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Woooooooooooooooooo

We are back!!!

The no 1 team in the world is back!!!

The king of spin is back!!!!

Not O'Keefe, Not Lyon but Ashwin!!!!!!

To all non-Indians:

suno gaur se duniyaa waalon
buri nazar naa humpe daalo
chaahe jitnaa zor lagaa lo
sabse aage honge hindustaani

hamne kahaa hai tum bhi kaho

Beware all pretenders to the throne. The kings are back!!!
You're Virat Kohli and I claim my five bucks.