• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

pup11

International Coach

Pitch for Tomorrow.
If that's the pitch then Australian attack might not be that severely handicapped by picking two spinners, I seriously hope that if they are picking Maxwell, then they don't pick him instead of a bowler. In Hyderabad the biggest problem with the bowling attack was that we just picked three frontline bowlers and the rest of the bowlers just couldn't maintain the pressure Siddle and Pattinson exerted during the 1st session on day 2 of the test.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sometimes I think Marsh's series against India gets held against him a bit too strongly. Obviously he had to be dropped at the time, but Mark Waugh, Ricky Ponting, plenty of others have had series like that one.

Now, he hasn't gotten the runs since that demand selection, but if you were going on horses for courses, he'd be around the squad for the subcontinent. Mind you, still hamstrung?

Spark

Global Moderator
Brydon Coverdale @brydoncoverdale
Maxwell likely 12th man. Looked downcast during a long chat with Arthur, then Rixon holds a spin meeting with Doherty, Lyon & Smith #indvaus
just fyi

pup11

International Coach
mo matthews made a great point tonight about lyon being dropped to work on some things and then him coming out and saying he had nothing to work on. puts a different light on that now.

but having said that, if lyon can get dropped to work on a few things for someone the world thought would never play another test, why can't wade?
Lyon was dropped because he wasn't bowling well and all that technical bullcrap was said just to make sure that Lyon doesn't end up getting marked as another spin discard by the media and the fans, Lyon should have taken the cue and repeated the same things that Arthur said about him in the media.

pup11

International Coach
If Smith plays then I just hope Clarke backs Smith's leg-spin as an attacking option in this test, people talk about his batting but his bowling can cause a bigger impact, wrist spin is a hard art to perfect, but at the end of the day Smith has to show some belief in his ability as a bowler.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, because Smith has done huge amount of recent bowling in FC cricket to prepare him...

ohwait

the big bambino

International Captain
Smith batting at 5...shudder. If Wade is out then we have 12 to pick from. 11 if you include Doherty. Maxwell has to get a spot over the x man you'd think. Grinding my teeth to think Doherty will get a spot just bcos he turns it the other way.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, because Smith has done huge amount of recent bowling in FC cricket to prepare him...

ohwait
Yup... he hasn't bowled in recent FC games and that's the choice he made, but fact of the matter is he got into the Australian set-up mainly because of his ability to bowl wrist spin and that isn't an aspect of his game that he should relinquish, he has got ability with the ball and a good leader like Clarke can certainly get the best out of him as a spinner in these conditions.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Doherty did a decent job as the second spinner. Unfortunately he was picked as the number one. I can deal with Doherty and Lyon in the same team.

pup11

International Coach
LOL @ pup11 saying Steve Smith's bowling is more dangerous than his batting.

Unbelievable.
All I'm saying is that in these conditions chances of him having an impact with his bowling are a lot more than his batting, as a batsman he might score 30-40 runs which would have next to no bearing on the game, whereas as a bowler if he is used well he has the ability to take some wickets that could have an impact on the game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Same can be said with Warner and his leg spin itbt. No one is scoring more than 30-40 runs bar Clarke.

Last edited by a moderator:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
One thing that we'll never know is how much the players talked between each other about the task. Does it give some insight to the level of interaction between the whole squad?

I mean, surely you'd talk about it with other guys? "What did you write?" - it wouldn't have been a state secret. There'd be some sort of peer pressure to do it, even just by knowing that others have.