• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think as we saw yesterday, in patches his accuracy is fine. He bowled a couple of spells where most things hit the mark and a couple of balls that would have got just about anyone out, and a couple of spells which were absolutely all over the place.

The difference between Tait of 03/04 and Tait of 04/05 was that in the second season he bowled far more of the good spells than the bad ones, and often took several wickets when he bowled the good ones.

I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't managed to reverse the ball out yet. I've always been under the impression that, like McGrath, Flintoff and Jones (and unlike Lee), he can reverse the ball in both directions.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
Harmison is the key for the rest of this Test. I really think he's got to bowl more deliveries at the stumps. In the absence of Jones, he's really go to step up, if England are going to win.
I've got a suspicion that Hoggard will be key again, especially if the heavy/thundery weather that's forecast comes through. Harmison has by and large been a bit-part player since Lord's though - not bad, but could do a lot better.

greg

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
I never did. The guy looks like a nudger type of player. I just don't see how he will succeed against good attacks, given that he only looks to nudge the ball and almost never plays any real stroke at the ball.
Sounds like a perfect description of Thorpe to me ;-)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Thing One:

I think Slater`s commentary has been unexpectedly good. A future for him?
Yeah, Slater is cool. He was good in New Zealand as well. I think he'll be around for a while.

greg

International Debutant
tassietiger said:
I don't reckon he was out, but I'm not complaining. We've had plenty of decisions going against us, and it's nice to get one back. e.g. when Strauss edges it to the keeper, he's given not out, and when Martyn edges it, he's given out (lbw)
Or not given out, caught behind (I'm sure someone must have half-appealed at third man or something for that one 8-) - should have been good enough for the umpire :) )

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, Slater is cool. He was good in New Zealand as well. I think he'll be around for a while.
Mark Nicholas was surprisingly excellent yesterday in his explanations of Warne's bowling. English spin bowling would probably be in a much better state if every spinner had had him captaining them.

shaka

International Regular
probably given not out because the appeal was not good enough (only a guess). I thought it was out and was proved right.

greg

International Debutant
shaka said:
probably given not out because the appeal was not good enough (only a guess). I thought it was out and was proved right.
Watching it live my thought process was "oh no he's nicked it... why haven't they appealed? I must be wrong. "

I'm not surprised the umpire was doubtful.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
FOD will undoubtedly be able to quote the rule verbatim, but I think that only applies if you are struck in line with the stumps.
Righto - still it's easy to see why it was given, since as it hit he did move in line with the stumps.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
It seemed a regulation dismissal and, as such, Warne in particular didnt rant and rave as per usual.
But he also didn't rant and rave after it was turned down, which you have to admit is very out of character.

greg

International Debutant
Nnanden said:
Lee sure was confident!
I think the trouble was that Lee thought it was a regulation nick and in the normal course of events would have just carried on running to receive the congratulations from the slips. The trouble was when he realised the keeper and slips were not appealing he had to go into plan B and appeal himself, with the result that the whole thing looked completely unconvincing (Warne for example was raising his arms in a sort of "oh that was close" type way, and had to suddenly try to turn it into proper appeal.)

I got the sense that Lee's obvious frustration had as much to do with his fielders behind the wicket as the umpire.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sqwerty said:
That's right. If you're struck on the full the umpire must assume the ball is continuing on the same path - (more or less suits the spinners only).

All the other LBW rules still apply so that if you are hit outside the line you are not out.
If the batsman is playing a genuine shot?