• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Shane Warne said:
No it doesn't.

Hoggard said it would be interesting to see whether Mcgrath can last the rigours of bowling in back to back tests in a 5 test series due to his age.

Nothing to do with a freak occurance of stepping on cricket balls and turning an ankle during warm ups.
He was joking. I know it's late down under but come on old cake.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
:D

I've no problem with it whatsoever, it's all good. How's the article going Faaip? Tricky wallah.
Jotting down the odd note as I go, but I'll write it when play has finished. The game is far too interesting right now. :D

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's quite amazing. Flintoff has an absolutely wonderful technique against pace bowling, and does just about everything right except sometimes taking a swing at the wrong one. Against spin, he's not far above hopeless.

If he can sort that out he can be a top class batsman imo.
BBC said:
1420: Flintoff plays against the spin and lofts Warne over the rope at long-on for six. It's been breathtaking stuff all day.
Can anyone tell me which one's right? :p

shaka

International Regular
Shane Warne said:
Not really.

Even rugby players could be surprised by a cricket ball lying around on the field during the game.
It was meant to be a joke and not taken seriously

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see Gillespie pushing 90mph again!

Still, I'd look at giving him a rest and maybe bowling Lee for a little while along with Warne. One more wicket and Australia have a good chance of restricting England to under 350, and getting them out before today is finished.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Can anyone tell me which one's right? :p
Just because he belted Warne for 6 doesn't mean he's a good player of spin. The fact is that he looks very unassured against spin bowling, even guys like Brad Hogg.

Having said that, he's certainly taking to Warne with some success right now. The way he plays though, it always seems like a matter of time, and when he's not hitting it for 6 he's edging it through his own legs or prodding at one turning away from him outside off. And then of course, there's the time he swings one time too many, and gets caught on the boundary.

Slow Love™

International Captain
If Gillespie can just get one to nip back in a little further, one of those leaves from outside-off from Pietersen could get interesting...

Don't really know what to make of the innings so far. The Australians bowled particularly badly earlier in the day, and England then batted extraordinarily badly for an hour or so (at least, up to this little flurry of boundaries between Flintoff and Pietersen). Our bowling attack certainly does look so much more vulnerable without McGrath though - if he can't play for the rest of the series, things could get substantially tighter.

Gillespie has been much improved today, which was really needed, 'cause somebody had to staunch the flow of runs at their end, given the pace of England's run-scoring. Warne's looked OK, but hasn't quite been at the top of his game yet.

Anybody think Warnie might have crossed the line into dissent in his reaction to Bowden's rejection of that bat-pad appeal a little earlier?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Just because he belted Warne for 6 doesn't mean he's a good player of spin. The fact is that he looks very unassured against spin bowling, even guys like Brad Hogg.

Having said that, he's certainly taking to Warne with some success right now. The way he plays though, it always seems like a matter of time, and when he's not hitting it for 6 he's edging it through his own legs or prodding at one turning away from him outside off. And then of course, there's the time he swings one time too many, and gets caught on the boundary.
Better than playing cautiously, scoring 24, and then hoiking to fine leg, at any rate. :happy:

Steulen

International Regular
I would be surprised if this partnership survived until lunch. And then the tail starts...

Slightly wobbly position for England; but actually Australia's position is equally wobbly. A wicket before tea would definitely swing the balance.