• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England well on track for a score of 267 here.

lol at the choice of song over that replay. For England certainly.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very nice game of cricket so far. Hopefully it continues and (more importantly) the rain doesn't **** over the game.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most importantly I'm glad it doesn't seem to be an uber road....or at least not as much as what it was a couple of years ago.

stephen

I'll be glad when the cricket world realises that swing is parabolic.
Depends how much the ball slows down in the air and the physics of the ball. If the ball slows down significantly and changes the aerodynamics, it could conceivably swing more in the second half of its flight.

Starfighter

Depends how much the ball slows down in the air and the physics of the ball. If the ball slows down significantly and changes the aerodynamics, it could conceivably swing more in the second half of its flight.
From Mehta et al 2014:
In some photographic
studies of a swing bowler (Gary Gilmour, who played forAustralia in the 1970s), it was confirmed that the trajectorieswere indeed parabolic [8]. Those studies also confirmed that thefinal deflections of over 0.8 m predicted here are notunreasonable. One of the photographed sequences was analysedand the actual flight path is also plotted in figure 5. Theagreement is rather remarkable considering the simplicity of theimage processing and analytical techniques. The data in figure 5also have a bearing on the phenomenon of the so-called “lateswing.” There are many theories for late swing, but it turns outthat since the flight paths are parabolic, late swing is in fact“built-in,” whereby 75% of the lateral deflection occurs over thesecond half of the flight.
I think the perception of 'early swing' is simply more swing, which makes the curve more apparent earlier.

Anecdotally, I'd say that the bowler's end viewpoint makes the ball appear to move later than a back on one, because you're looking down the trajectory more.

Starfighter

I can see Warner really going for it on this surface. England are going to have to be super disciplined.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I don't think I've ever seen rain stop play in Perth. It might have happened in the last ten years but I don't remember it.
Curiously, the only times I can recall rain impacting Tests have been against New Zealand (1993/94, 1997/98, 2001/02).

Don't think there's ever been a ODI that's been washed out.