• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Was that Mmarsh listed at 5 on the scoreboard? Bowling I hope. Batting him that high would be lunacy.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They've clearly got a new game plan against Lyon. Sweeping and using the feet is a first.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bit weird to start attacking the spinner in the same test the 4th seamer is added.
DWTA.

Three things at play here.

1. They've perhaps recognised they made an error in how they played in the first two Tests and adjusted their plans on the run, rather than deciding "we'll attack the spinner if they have five bowlers, but defend him if they have four."
2. Even if #1 is false, it's actually easier to hit a spinner out of the attack if the opposition have four seamers -- otherwise he'd have to bowl lots even if taken to early. They might see him as a threat and want Marsh, a perceived lesser threat, to bowl some of his overs.
3. Even if both #1 and #2 are false, it's Perth. It might be perceived that Lyon is easy to attack here in a way that he wasn't at the other venues.

So I don't think it's weird unless you only look at it in that very specific non contextual way. :p

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
DWTA.

Three things at play here.

1. They've perhaps recognised they made an error in how they played in the first two Tests and adjusted their plans on the run, rather than deciding "we'll attack the spinner if they have five bowlers, but defend him if they have four."
2. Even if #1 is false, it's actually easier to hit a spinner out of the attack if the opposition have four seamers -- otherwise he'd have to bowl lots even if taken to early. They might see him as a threat and want Marsh, a perceived lesser threat, to bowl some of his overs.
3. Even if both #1 and #2 are false, it's Perth. It might be perceived that Lyon is easy to attack here in a way that he wasn't at the other venues.

So I don't think it's weird unless you only look at it in that very specific non contextual way. :p
Agree with all that. Think #1 is probably the main factor, so I guess my comment was more to highlight that the mistake was even bigger with that context.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't recall how he's ever bowled in Australia but he had a habit of picking up important wickets on the flatter decks of the 2015 Ashes.
Up and down generally. Sometimes looks like absolute trash but manages to prise a wicket out. Despite being massive he doesn't get much lift. When he sticks to bowling straight he's fine.