• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fantastic this, great piece of our cricketing history that Boxing Day of 1953.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I mean its one thing to play a C team but this is bordering on an E team now. NZ should win comfortably.
I think D team is fair ..

It's probably a B team for batting but an F team for bowling split the difference and you'd get somewhere around D, since you usually win test matches by getting 20 wickets which I'm not confident of.

I'm not joking by saying it's an F team at best bowling line up I can think of several choices of bowlers I'd call up before these lot:

First-Choice
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje

Second Choice
Harmer
Coetzee
Burger
Ngidi

Third Choice
Linde
B.Swanepoel
E. Bosch
Baartman

Fourth Choice
Kyle Simmonds
Beuran Hendricks
Lizaad Williams
Kwena Maphaka

Fifth Choice
Bjorn Fortuin
Darryn Dupavillon
Stefan Tait
Lutho Sipamla

Sixth Choice
Thomas Kaber
Glenton Stuurman
Junior Dala
Johannes Van Dyk

I'd put this bowling line between 5th and 6th Choice.

SeamUp

International Coach

It's probably a B team for batting but an F team for bowling split the difference and you'd get somewhere around D, since you usually win test matches by getting 20 wickets which I'm not confident of.

I'm not joking by saying it's an F team at best bowling line up I can think of several choices of bowlers I'd call up before these lot:

First-Choice
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje

Second Choice
Harmer
Coetzee
Burger
Ngidi

Third Choice
Linde
B.Swanepoel
E. Bosch
Baartman

Fourth Choice
Kyle Simmonds
Beuran Hendricks
Lizaad Williams
Kwena Maphaka

Fifth Choice
Bjorn Fortuin
Darryn Dupavillon
Stefan Tait
Lutho Sipamla

Sixth Choice
Thomas Kaber
Glenton Stuurman
Junior Dala
Johannes Van Dyk

When you put it like that ! :) Tbf we couldn't have asked for more experience with test caps between Paterson, Olivier and Piedt.

Batting? What we thinking. It's all up in the air for me. Guys from 3rd and 2nd could easily get past guys in the 1st.

Team 1
de Zorzi
Markram
Petersen
Bavuma
Bedingham
Stubbs
Verreynne

Team 2
Brand
Hermann
Breetzke
Rickelton
Hamza
Mulder
Fortuin

Team 3
Moore
Richards
van Tonder
Brevis
van Buuren
Ferreira/de Swardt/Zondo
Qeshile

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When you put it like that ! :) Tbf we couldn't have asked for more experience with test caps between Paterson, Olivier and Piedt.

Batting? What we thinking. It's all up in the air for me. Guys from 3rd and 2nd could easily get past guys in the 1st.

Team 1
de Zorzi
Markram
Petersen
Bavuma
Bedingham
Stubbs
Verreynne

Team 2
Brand
Hermann
Breetzke
Rickelton
Hamza
Mulder
Fortuin

Team 3
Moore
Richards
van Tonder
Brevis
van Buuren
Ferreira/de Swardt/Zondo
Qeshile
As far as I`m concerned van Tonder should be in team 1! :)

SeamUp

International Coach
As far as I`m concerned van Tonder should be in team 1! :)
He has a big chance to hopefully prove that but he may have to open which isnt ideal.

Quality player. Crazy but him and Coetzee might be the last of FS produced SA cricketers. Union feels neglected and they not producing anything at schoolboy level really. Think Wessels, Cronje, Donald, Boje, Dippenaar, VD Wath, McLaren, Elgar, Rossouw. Not bad for our 6th province but now sadly in division 2.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
The cricketing reference is roundabout if you don't know the history, but when you do, it's up there, especially considering last Christmas was the 70th anniversary. The "insert surnames of players" trophies template is a bit stale.

We need more perpetual trophies in the Test cricketing world, & NZ cricket especially needs more perpetual trophies. I still think it's a real shame we don't have one with England.

Silver Silva

International Debutant

First-Choice
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje

Second Choice
Harmer
Coetzee
Burger
Ngidi

Third Choice
Linde
B.Swanepoel
E. Bosch
Baartman

Fourth Choice
Kyle Simmonds
Beuran Hendricks
Lizaad Williams
Kwena Maphaka

Fifth Choice
Bjorn Fortuin
Darryn Dupavillon
Stefan Tait
Lutho Sipamla

Sixth Choice
Thomas Kaber
Glenton Stuurman
Junior Dala
Johannes Van Dyk

What would your 8th,9th and 10th choice attack look like ?😅

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
What would your 8th,9th and 10th choice attack look like ?😅
That's a tough one ..

8th Choice
Migael Pretorius (Could be higher just slipped my mind)
Prenalen Subrayen (If I wasn't worried that he would be called for chucking he would be higher)/Sean Whitehead
Eldred Hawken
Sisanda Magala

9th Choice
Corbin Bosch/Andile Phehlulwayo
Duan Jansen
Merrick Brett/Codi Yusuf
Tabraiz Shamsi/Junaid Dawood

10th Choice
Matthew Boast
Hardus Viljoen
Siyabonga Mahima/Matthew Pollard
Nealan Van Heerden/Achille Cloete/Thando Ntini

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
You've got me thinking who I'd even have as my 10th choice NZ quick.

There are a pile of dudes on the precipice of 5th but could easily be like 12th.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also the number of centimetres Flintoff missed that ball by.
The 2002 Andre Adams ball? That was bloody glorious. I've told this before but I was on the Terraces, blind drunk, and can still remember the feeling of 'oh wow, Doug Cowie has got that horribly wrong.....but YEAAAAAAAAAAAHH'. Poor old Doug.