• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

ataraxia

International Coach
Also, while I'm at it, I find it notable that I've been IP banned from Wikipedia for making a single edit to the 2024 Olympics beach volleyball page with a single sentence mentioning the controversy of child rapist Steven van de Velde's selection, even though there are a huge number of news stories and notability to this event in English language media, in comparison to overall notability of the beach volleyball tournament as a whole.

Also had even my page talk comment giving the justification for the edit scrubbed, so yeah make whatever you will of that.
This wasn't very well explained to you. Wikipedia has an extremely high bar to be satisfied re the inclusion of controversial information about living persons – references are absolutely required – and it tries not to be a news ticker. To write in a highly unencyclopedic tone a very controversial assertion with zero sources whatsoever will never ever work out.

Feel free to disagree with anything I've written. But it's an accurate summary of how Wikipedia works. The block has expired: go back and try again, in an unobtrusive place (the Teams section, not the lead section) with at least two references, toning down the accusation of "protection", and it should remain there because you're right, the information about van de Velde should be included.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kaylee McKeown has a lower profile than many of our other swimmers over the years but is close to being our best ever

Spark

Global Moderator
She’s much better than Susie O’Neill, Liesel Jones and Cate Campbell etc yet has a lower profile
From what I've read that's the way she seems to like it tbf; pretty much every single article about her seems to emphasise that she's a little bit weird and offbeat.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just saw the highlights of Australia vs India in the hockey. Australia ****ed it by being way too frantic it seems and bombed a number of chances. Having a 2 on 1 with the keeper and passing in 3 metres behind the bloke isn't great.

On the upside, they now get to play the Dutch instead of GB in the quarters 😒

Spark

Global Moderator
Just saw the highlights of Australia vs India in the hockey. Australia ****ed it by being way too frantic it seems and bombed a number of chances. Having a 2 on 1 with the keeper and passing in 3 metres behind the bloke isn't great.

On the upside, they now get to play the Dutch instead of GB in the quarters 😒
Does seem like "losing their heads under pressure completely" is a very common theme for the team sports in what is otherwise a pretty successful games for Aus so far

Molehill

International Captain
As these games draw to a close tomorrow, I think we can safely say they’ve been a success for Australia. Great to see us once again excelling across such a wide range of sports.
Makes me laugh how every other sport is seemingly cutting back on the number of medal options whilst swimming just keeps adding random relays!! Queens of the Pool no doubt.

Molehill

International Captain
Does seem like "losing their heads under pressure completely" is a very common theme for the team sports in what is otherwise a pretty successful games for Aus so far
Men’s Hockey looks very open, no real dominant team at all. Probably comes down to who takes their chances.

Spark

Global Moderator
Never watched fencing before, the men's epee team final was a good place to start - huge swings in momentum/result in the last minute alone leading to extra time