• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Flem274*

123/5
Agree with the sentiments here that this team has been playing like trash. Standards from good players have collapsed and new players, with the exception of the spiritual coaches son, aren't getting the opportunity to apply some pressure.

From what I've watched in the past year or so I doubt Guptill, Latham, Macewell, Tickner and Sodhi will do well in the World Cup and you can probably add Nicholls to that list as well. Sodhi especially, an inaccurate legspinner, is the last thing you want in India where the game is often decided by how clinical your spin options are.

What worries me more is how the best players in this side seem to always be the newer ones across all formats in the past 18 months. Our run into and the WTC final victory itself was built on the shot in the arm Jamieson and Conway provided. Now KJ is bowling 130kph straight up and down and slogging like a dickhead.

Martin Guptill smoking a ton against Ireland on a small ground is not a course correction its a delaying of the inevitable. Those ODIs against Australia and India can't come soon enough. If we dominate those series then assuming they pick halfway sensible sides, I will happily eat my words. I'm pretty safe though.
All time worst ‘it’s gone straight up’ by McMillan there. Goes 5 metres over the long on boundary and he doesn’t even correct himself.
it's not the longest boundary, so McMillan isn't wrong.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Not nice to wish poorly of players I know, but NZ cricket may well be in a better spot if Tickner gets pounded around the park today.
Problem is he may well chuck in a good performance, then he's ''hanging'' around in the fray which is not what I believe we want going forward.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
From what I've watched in the past year or so I doubt Guptill, Latham, Macewell, Tickner and Sodhi will do well in the World Cup and you can probably add Nicholls to that list as well. Sodhi especially, an inaccurate legspinner, is the last thing you want in India where the game is often decided by how clinical your spin options are.
Agree on all except Latham for the ODI WC, he’s a must in the subcontinent even if he’s playing carelessly at the moment.

Macewell - willing to see how he goes in the finisher spot against top 8 opposition, let’s see.

nzfan

Nicholls got to be the most ugliest batter going around surely. I can't think of anyone that's as bad aesthatically. Reasonable knock though but I'm glad to forget this series in a jiffy.

Why do we have to play so many one day games vs Dutch, Ireland etc back to back with such frequency. Don't mind playing them but 4 back to back series? Way too many.

nzfan

Agree on all except Latham for the ODI WC, he’s a must in the subcontinent even if he’s playing carelessly at the moment.

Macewell - willing to see how he goes in the finisher spot against top 8 opposition, let’s see.
Don't mind getting it wrong but I'll give him one series, max two. Having watched west indies carve up off spinners I shudder at the thought. Imagine Pollard or Pooran or anyone from that side for that matter. Dhananjaya a reasonable bowler with tricks up his sleeve was smashed for 6 sixes only recently. Good luck bowling offies to west indies.

Flem274*

123/5
Nicholls got to be the most ugliest batter going around surely. I can't think of anyone that's as bad aesthatically. Reasonable knock though but I'm glad to forget this series in a jiffy.
i like watching him bat. everyone being as orthodox as KW, Latham and Young would be boring.

thierry henry

International Coach
For me it’s not so much that Nicholls is unorthodox as that he’s just such an unnatural hitter of the cricket ball. Like whatever the opposite of a ‘clean striker’ is, he’s it. Yet he’s not as bad at accelerating his scoring rate as he looks.

nzfan

For me it’s not so much that Nicholls is unorthodox as that he’s just such an unnatural hitter of the cricket ball. Like whatever the opposite of a ‘clean striker’ is, he’s it. Yet he’s not as bad at accelerating his scoring rate as he looks.
Couldn't have explained any better, bang on