• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Will Young just can't catch a break atm. Occasionally hasn't helped himself, but between being forced to open in the tests, a couple of run outs and a couple of good balls early, he's barely made it out of the gate.

Still think he's a good player (and much better than Jamie How!) but when form is poor feels like every mistake is a wicket and anything else that can go wrong does too.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
What's with Lanham of late? Little the bowler has barely done little in the series and Latham nicks the first ball through 3rd slip, then they move first to third and Latham duly obliges by edging him to vacant first slip and them missed a straight one resulting in lbw review. He's looking pretty **** so far. He's supposed to feast on this bowling.

Ireland bowling has gone to dogs today. Lost count of how many leg stump half volleys, short and wide rubbish bowled so far. Club level bowling today so far.

nzfan

Will Young just can't catch a break atm. Occasionally hasn't helped himself, but between being forced to open in the tests, a couple of run outs and a couple of good balls early, he's barely made it out of the gate.

Still think he's a good player (and much better than Jamie How!) but when form is poor feels like every mistake is a wicket and anything else that can go wrong does too.
How's he in bad form? Only recently scored couple of hundreds vs Dutch. Had couple of fifties vs England as well. Looked very tentative today and that was a very bad call for an non existent run.

nzfan

Have to say it's so boring to watch Latham and Guptill batting vs Ireland. Rather watch Sears and Rippon bat. Helps them shore up their averages for the year though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
How's he in bad form? Only recently scored couple of hundreds vs Dutch. Had couple of fifties vs England as well. Looked very tentative today and that was a very bad call for an non existent run.
1&1, 47&56, 20&8, 1, 0, 3. That's not good.
And his only fifty he was run out.

nzfan

What's happened to all our batters of late? Now Latham goes after like nicking off many times. Even Guptill has been squared up and beaten so many times. He's played some gun shots in between. We're such battlers. Starting to think if Kane, Conway and Mitchell don't show good form after this European series we can go down in a massive down spiral. Haven't felt like this in many years.

Moss

Have to say it's so boring to watch Latham and Guptill batting vs Ireland. Rather watch Sears and Rippon bat. Helps them shore up their averages for the year though.
No Cleaver in the lineup as well, instead we get to see Nicholls enjoy another chance to bat himself into form.

What is with these predictable team selections? At least the T20 series in Bangladesh last year with the second string side told us a few things.

nzfan

No Cleaver in the lineup as well, instead we get to see Nicholls enjoy another chance to bat himself into form.

What is with these predictable team selections? At least the T20 series in Bangladesh last year with the second string side told us a few things.
Hugely disappointed Cleaver didn't get to play. No better opportunity than this series to have given him a go. It's a dead rubber as well. We'll get to watch Nicholls get to 50 and play for next 10 years maybe.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah really disappointed with Cleaver's non-selection. Also struggle to see why Tickner keeps getting rewarded for poor performances.

Moss

What's happened to all our batters of late? Now Latham goes after like nicking off many times. Even Guptill has been squared up and beaten so many times. He's played some gun shots in between. We're such battlers. Starting to think if Kane, Conway and Mitchell don't show good form after this European series we can go down in a massive down spiral. Haven't felt like this in many years.
My gut feeling is that Guptill is on the wane and NZ would be better off working out a new opening combination (Conway and Allen would be my choice). Been a great ODI player but don't see the 36-37 year old version of him giving the top sides a headache in a World cup in India.

He's always had these phases where he looks extremely scratchy and has had relatively little top-flight cricket in the last couple of years, so I guess the games against the Windies/Australia/India will probably give us a better idea of where he's really at, if he's managed to play himself into form by then.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I see Latham isn't in the T20 squad so Cleaver will get all 3 Ireland T20s (injuries permitting). I suppose Finn Allen is the back up as Phillips and Bracewell are spin options (and excellent outfielders).

nzfan

I see Latham isn't in the T20 squad so Cleaver will get all 3 Ireland T20s (injuries permitting). I suppose Finn Allen is the back up as Phillips and Bracewell are spin options (and excellent outfielders).
Why would you have Allen playing one day but not t20s? T20s is his best suit. In fact he had the worse numbers even at domestic list A. I'd rather think he's a shoo in for t20s.

nzfan

Yeah really disappointed with Cleaver's non-selection. Also struggle to see why Tickner keeps getting rewarded for poor performances.
They're hell bent on proving their pick is decent. They'll keep giving a go till he comes good.