• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Test Opener

Who should be the new New Zealand opener?

• J. How

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • M. Papps

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • M. Horne

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • M. Bell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. Cumming

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • B. Watling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P. Fulton

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other (Who)

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fiery

Banned
Ming said:
Well funny that. One year ago he took a 10-for against South Africa and was the/one of the fastest NZ players to reach 50 Test wickets....

I'm sick of hearing we need to build a team around younger players. When has that plan work? Sure it sounds cool to say it, but it means rubbish. Pick players regardless of their age, just like how they have done with Wilson. I guess you were against the selection of Wilson then since he is 31?
No, I was rapped to see him back but Goldie is an exception to most rules. I'm not saying we need to build a team around young players. We should build a team around the experienced players if anything and we need to bring in youngster now and then to have a good balance. In selecting a side you need to have an eye on the future. Don't take it personally. You seem to treat others opinions with disdain. I don't write things to "sound cool" and don't like my opinion being called "rubbish". Nothing wrong with healthy debate man.

bryce

International Regular
Ming said:
I'm sick of hearing we need to build a team around younger players. When has that plan work? Sure it sounds cool to say it, but it means rubbish. Pick players regardless of their age, just like how they have done with Wilson. I guess you were against the selection of Wilson then since he is 31?
agree completely, the talk is always to pick the young players for the future but what's the point in worrying about the future when your not doing any good at the current time?

Ming

State 12th Man
Ahhh good. Good to see Bryce agrees with me. So that proves I'm not crazy like Fiery is suggesting me to be....:D

Do we need to select a side with an eye to the future when we already have pretty young players in Marshall, Oram, McCullum, Vettori, Tuffey and Mills in the team?

Fiery

Banned
bryce said:
agree completely, the talk is always to pick the young players for the future but what's the point in worrying about the future when your not doing any good at the current time?
We're not doing so badly that we need a blinkered focus on the now.
If that was the way the selectors thought teams of 25 year old would be picked and there would be no changes until they were 35 and then they would all be dropped and a new set of 25 year olds would be picked.

Ming

State 12th Man
Eh no, not really.

I don't think you understand what Bryce and I are getting at. Pick the best players regardless of their ages.

But you seem to have an odd addiction to picking young players, but nearly half our team are under 26.

Fiery

Banned
Ming said:
Eh no, not really.

I don't think you understand what Bryce and I are getting at. Pick the best players regardless of their ages.

But you seem to have an odd addiction to picking young players, but nearly half our team are under 26.
8-) 8-) All I said was the Zimbabwe tour would a good one to experiment on and to pick a few young players to see if any of them can show they are worthy of future selection, to give them a taste of touring and to get them familiar with the international environment. If you read my earlier posts you'll see I wrote that we shouldn't bring in any new players for the Aussie series and use the proven ones. Players like Ryder and Taylor are talented enough to get in there young but only if more established players aren't performing.
The only things I'm addicted to are cricket and my fiance says *** (oh and maybe beer...mmm, beer)

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
sherlocks injured but when he comes back he should play 4 black caps before 06, as for batsmen I think How should play tests 4 a while and papps play odi's and mayb put them together later, How shouldn't need 2 worry about strike rate at his age, papps is more experienced 4 his age, fulton is a possibility 4 sinclairs 3 spot in odi's.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Ming said:
Ahhh good. Good to see Bryce agrees with me. So that proves I'm not crazy like Fiery is suggesting me to be....:D

Do we need to select a side with an eye to the future when we already have pretty young players in Marshall, Oram, McCullum, Vettori, Tuffey and Mills in the team?
I agree with you also. Fiery seems to have quite alternate views..including Opening tests with Nathen Astle

Fiery

Banned
Richard Rash said:
I agree with you also. Fiery seems to have quite alternate views..including Opening tests with Nathen Astle
It's a phrase I dislike but it's called "thinking outside the square" and I only suggested it for the Aussie series because there was no one else really putting their hand up. Astle has an average of 40 as a test opener.
It sounds like they might go with Hornet anyway who has found some good form. A wise choice IMO. If I had to place them in order of merit, Papps would be next in line,then How, then Cumming.

Last edited:

Ming

State 12th Man
Horne has already talked of retiring, so I doubt he will be picked.

Astle averages 40 as a Test opener? Don't be stupid. That is probably only from a few innings. How much can you read into that?

Fiery

Banned
Ming said:
Horne has already talked of retiring, so I doubt he will be picked.

Astle averages 40 as a Test opener? Don't be stupid. That is probably only from a few innings. How much can you read into that?
Hey man, what's with the "rubbish" and "don't be stupid" calls, Ming? Do you speak to people like that in real life? If so, I doubt you make many friends.
Horne wont retire if he's picked, and word is he has the inside running.
Just giving you a fact regarding Astle's record as an opener. Admittedly, he's only opened the once but he did alright. I don't have to point out his record as an opener in one-dayers and don't see why we have to have a couple of stone-wallers or greenhorns to open the batting. Look at how improved Langer is now that he goes after the bowling early.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
What is the stuf you have heard about ross?? Would be interested to know and he would be to. Know him really well. He has been injured but is back on track now. But as for attitude. If that really matters then get ride of hamish marshell and don't ever let lou vincent near the team. Those guys are shocking.

Fiery

Banned
Tamara said:
What is the stuf you have heard about ross?? Would be interested to know and he would be to. Know him really well. He has been injured but is back on track now. But as for attitude. If that really matters then get ride of hamish marshell and don't ever let lou vincent near the team. Those guys are shocking.
Can't remember why I thought that. I shouldn't have tarred him with the same brush as Jesse Ryder. I think I heard someone who may have just been speculating as to why he wasn't playing or something and may have jumped to a conclusion. Apologise to him for me.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
That is not entirly true. Every young guy will go and have a few drinks. He just got violent and went through stages where he got himself into trouble before games.

Ming

State 12th Man
Fiery said:
Hey man, what's with the "rubbish" and "don't be stupid" calls, Ming? Do you speak to people like that in real life? If so, I doubt you make many friends..
OK. 8-)

Fiery said:
Horne wont retire if he's picked, and word is he has the inside running.
Just giving you a fact regarding Astle's record as an opener. Admittedly, he's only opened the once but he did alright. I don't have to point out his record as an opener in one-dayers and don't see why we have to have a couple of stone-wallers or greenhorns to open the batting. Look at how improved Langer is now that he goes after the bowling early.
Where did you hear he has the inside running? I wouldn't put down Langer's success to him being more attacking now. There's more to it than that.

Fiery

Banned
Ming said:
OK. 8-)

Where did you hear he has the inside running? I wouldn't put down Langer's success to him being more attacking now. There's more to it than that.
Radio Sport this morning. Not sure who Veitch was interviewing but heard them say he was the one most seriously considered to open against the Aussies.