• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Test Opener

Who should be the new New Zealand opener?

• J. How

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • M. Papps

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • M. Horne

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • M. Bell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. Cumming

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • B. Watling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P. Fulton

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other (Who)

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Natman20

International Debutant
Papps

I think Papps would do quite well like he has on some occasions before but im not sure if he will be very consistent in the NEw Zealand team.

Ming

State 12th Man
No, he was dropped in England.

It should change because he's in terrible form at the moment.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
wasnt he injured in england
no one is really standing out for the position in domestic cricket
apart from How,and he is not ready for test cricket yet and untill then Fleming and papps should open

anzac

International Debutant
if Papps was showing some form in the Championship I'd pick him, as he hadn't really had a decent run b4 injury in ENG - he's only had 1 full series.........however he is not scoring runs and does not warrant a place in the side just because he was there b4..........it's not as if he was setting the world alight when he was there - he wasn't doing an Andrew Strauss...........

for my money it will either be Flem & Sinclair as the 2 most recent openers used & available, or it will be one of them and a 'newbie' - currently I'd say either How or Cumming, with Cumming getting the nod because of his OD series at this level & maturity / experience...........

anzac

International Debutant
bryce said:
agree completely, the talk is always to pick the young players for the future but what's the point in worrying about the future when your not doing any good at the current time?
'coz if something's not working as it should you try to fix it as best as your resources allow.............

part of that may involve a stop gap measure / player as a bridge while you bring on a youngster..........

alternatively you could just put all your eggs in 1 basket with a players and say that we will stick with him for the season and see where we go from there, and accept that you may take several steps backwards when you do so.........

otherwise you just stick with the same squad of players who are not getting the job done in the first place.............

IMO all this talk of competition for places is basically rubbish until some of the so called 'contenders' are given opportunities or squad selections at least.....

anzac

International Debutant
I also think that the ZIM - RSA Tour should be used to take some new blood in the Squad...............

primarily because there are so few mid-week games on Tours these days that there is virtually no chance of blooding a player in that manner...........you can only really do so against the weaker opposition or in series that hold little bearing on your ranking.............

as I've said b4 IMO they missed a trick v BAN, and ZIM are the other side down at that end of the scale - unless you want to do it v SRL in your own back yard considering their Away form...........

bryce

International Regular
anzac said:
'coz if something's not working as it should you try to fix it as best as your resources allow.............
which is the same as picking the best team you can really - which is the notion i was supporting

Natman20

International Debutant
Domestic

I think they should call up a few players for the Sri Lanka matches after the Aussie series it would be perfect time to test them out.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Sinclair has been tried and failed against AUS as an opener - but deserves to be in the middle order.

How and Cumming are the form openers in FC cricket. How is the more consistent in OD matches, while not brilliant. Cumming's domestic OD record is rubbish from memory. So How seems the best all-round long-term option.

Unfortunately Bracewell seems too cowardly to make the necesary changes. It's as though he thinks he's beyonf blame for the team's failure in tests if he doesn't appear to be directly linked to player selections; choosing established failures rather than trailing young blood being his preference.

Blaze

Banned
Will Scarlet said:
Sinclair has been tried and failed against AUS as an opener - but deserves to be in the middle order.

How and Cumming are the form openers in FC cricket. How is the more consistent in OD matches, while not brilliant. Cumming's domestic OD record is rubbish from memory. So How seems the best all-round long-term option.

Unfortunately Bracewell seems too cowardly to make the necesary changes. It's as though he thinks he's beyonf blame for the team's failure in tests if he doesn't appear to be directly linked to player selections; choosing established failures rather than trailing young blood being his preference.
How's OD record is even worse than Cumming's.

Bracewell is going to have to bring in someone to replace Richardson. It's just a matter of who

anzac

International Debutant
bryce said:
which is the same as picking the best team you can really - which is the notion i was supporting
agreed - but I disagree that that should mean you persist with players who are not able to perform consistantly or are out of form.............Papps, McMillan, Styris, Astle etc.........

if the team was playing well & we were getting the results a la AUS or ENG then stick with the players who are getting the job done, but neither is happening atm..........

ENG have rebuilt the side (both players & positions) & are now getting the results - it would be interesting to see how many players they have tried b4 settling on this current lineup..........

RSA have now started on the same path judging by their selections in the ENG series;
IND have introduced new blood into their seam attack, openers & 'keeper;
AUS have primarily brought in Clarke, Katich & re-introduced Kasper;
PAK & WIN have also brought in new talent over the past few seasons;
SRL have also shown some new faces;
NZL have also made changes but primarily seems to be motivated by injury & retirement, and the actual pool of players at Test level still seems rather thin........esp in regards to batting; pace, spin & slow bowling..............IMO too much of the same in both batting & bowling..............

Only AUS seems to have made an almost seamless transition with new faces, Captain & tactics - the rest of us mere mortals need several seasons to get it 'right'..........

bryce

International Regular
anzac said:
agreed - but I disagree that that should mean you persist with players who are not able to perform consistantly or are out of form.............Papps, McMillan, Styris, Astle etc.........
yeah well if the player is so badly out of form that he should be dropped then that is still basically picking your best team

Natman20

International Debutant
Problem

The problem is you cant really put inexperienced players in series against Aussie or Sri Lanka I would say they either put Papps in or they wait till Zimbabwe series to test it out. :wacko:

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Or NZ could try a new opener against AUS and it could make the player a star. At least How, Papps, or Cumming would be able to gauge their progress against the best, rather than just wonder about it.

Even if they failed against AUS they could learn a lot from the series and still come out with the experience to succeed against SL. I comes down to the mentality of the player(s).

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
To be honest I am worried as about our openers. :mellow:
Yes sure, Sinclair middle order, but instead of whom? Fleming, Astle, Styris, Marshall, McMillan, Oram? Personally also I think McCullum should bat higher.
If Sinclair wants in the team, he HAS to open.
Sad but true.
Who goes with him?
I would have to say maybe How at the moment, with Papps not far behind. But both have been so inconsistent this year.
Why did Rigor have to get tired of cricket in England? :@

bryce

International Regular
marshall isn't exactly an incumbent in the test team, i'd like to see a team like this with big competition for the opening spot an a middle order spot

Fleming
Cumming/Papps/How
Sinclair
Styris/Marshall/McMillan/Fulton
Astle
Oram
McCullum

Flem274*

123/5
Three years later....:laugh:

Found this in the India thread, IIRC Pakistan don't have much in the way of openers either, nor England bar Cook if Vaughan doesn't cut it opening and Strauss gpes back to poos, wonder why openers are so hard to find for some sides?

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Maybe it's because we don't persist with them long enough? Openers are more often than not subjected to unplayable deliveries thanks to the new shine. So they will fail more than they succeed normally. Key thing is whether they chuck their wickets away, or tried really hard to stay in but gets out to balls that has their name on it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Three years later....:laugh:

Found this in the India thread, IIRC Pakistan don't have much in the way of openers either, nor England bar Cook if Vaughan doesn't cut it opening and Strauss gpes back to poos, wonder why openers are so hard to find for some sides?
Pakistan and West Indies have had few high-class openers historically - you could probably count them on one hand.
Rae
Stollmeyer
Hunte
Fredericks
Greenidge
Haynes
Hanif Mohammed
Majid Khan
Shoaib Mohammed

Can't immediately think of many from NZ outside Turner and Wright either.