• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
NZ commentators aren't that bad. They are all miles better than Howie and more interesting than Hussey (who I really liked as a player) and more balanced than Mark Waugh.

Also Skull would never criticise the Big Bash (or even analyse it objectively) as it is a huge Fox Sports cash cow.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think he was better suited to radio maybe too. Used to enjoy the ABC team with Roebuck, Geoff Lawson and Jim Maxwell.
Like most commentators of his style, he's much better rationed out then a frequent contributer.

As for the TVNZ team, I'd still rather listen to them than the Channel 9 team post-Benaud. I find the TVNZ team all pretty good with the exception of McMillan and Stevenson. And Stevenson makes a pretty good host.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I tend to think of bowlers with a more front-on action as better suited for white-ball cricket than the side on action*, especially bowling at the death.... though I don't know if this idea holds up to any kind of scrutiny. Kristian Clarke has that front on action, hope he turns into an ODI/T20 performer. Could be a very strong action, needs to add momentum through the crease and pace first though.

* short of slingers like Waqar and Malinga of course.

Ghost75

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Now that Stevenson seems intent on calling overs “sets” I’m eagerly awaiting him to say a batter is out for love instead of a duck

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't this guy a notorious alcoholic
Ruddy face...laughs loudly at his own **** jokes...Yep, checks out

I mean, we do forget pretty quickly we used to complain about the SKY commentators, too.

I liked Stevenson when he did rugby for SKY. He was a cheerleader, but I didn't mind that - knew the game, got on well with the players, wanted the best for the sport. But then SKY ousted him, and he started going dog on the NZRU immediately. Wrote a lot of anti-NZRU stuff, not a peep before that. I wish McMillan and co would just say to him mate, you're a good frontman but you don't know the game. You call the straight ups, the crunches, the wows, and let us analyse them.

ataraxia

International Coach
Hamish Rutherford retiring after the last Super Smash game next week.
Yeah, past it. Still Otago's second best bat though lol.

With Broom, Kitchen, Rutherford (and Finnie) retired, and Kelly moved to Wellington, Otago's oldest batter is now Foxcroft at 25 (or Nick Kwant who played last season without success, 26; or Jake Gibson if he counts, also 26).

Could be a gun lineup in 8 years' time, but I suppose the best way to reflect on the situation would be to dwell on the significance of Dion Ebrahim and the decidedly milquetoast Gen Z attitude (as contrasted by the stoic Christianity espoused by their only two proven domestic-level batt(l)ers, both as it happens Saffa imports). Where is Kippax when you need him?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Rutherford looked like he can barely run between the wickets anymore, or in the field.

So, seems right move. Obviously hampered by a major injury. And at 35 its probably time.

Been a good servant for Otago. Congratulations on a good career

It would be a huge hole he was leaving , if he wasn't already so far declined off the required standard .

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Most competitive bloke I have ever come across.
So competitive it got him into trouble at times. Like the team he challenged anyone in the NZ development squad to a 100m dash and ended up getting paired against Jeff Wilson. Lol. Or the time he came out to bat against Chris Cairns not wearing a helmet (he was lucky to get away without a concussion from the ensuing volley of bouncers he received).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Smithy’s just calling as he sees at, which most of New Zealand would probably agree with. The TVNZ crew are horrendous. Almost make the game impossible to watch.
I really hated that from Smith. I'm not a fan of Sumo's commentary, but there's zero need to so publicly and dismissively **** on someone who's just trying to do their job to the best of their (albeit limited) ability. I guess he feels bitter about NZC going with Spark back in 2019 - that's fine, he's entitled to his opinion. But **** me, if Smitty got called out by his fellow commentators everytime he acted like a **** behind a microphone he'd never get a word in.