• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sears' reaction almost as good.

Then Smith's dismissal of Sheat is an early contender for my favourite bowled of the season. Middle stump cartwheels. Mmmmm.
Really hoping this is N.Smith's season, gee I love watching him bowl and he can fair hold a bat, too. With a couple more years under his belt, and Santner batting 7, he could be ideal for our ODI side. Of course, only at World Cups, because apparently that's the future.

DavidUK

Cricket Spectator
Just finished watching ND v Otago match. Chu and Lockrose batted well. Duffy and Bacon bowled well but apart from that it was a pretty poor performance. Two run outs! Cumming, who impressed me last year, played an atrocious shot in 2nd inns with three overs left in the day which set the tone for a dire 2nd inns batting performance. Not sure why Foxcroft was captain in absence of Rutherford when Chu is VC. Georgeson doesn't look like an opener in 1st class cricket to me....more like a bits and pieces one day player. Hopefully Rutherford and Muller will return for next match.

ataraxia

International Coach
Mostly fairly unchanged sides for tomorrow's second round.

A couple of notable changes for Canterbury, however. Jamieson (!) and Nicholls in. Nuttall and Ben Russell back out – I suspect Nuttall will fade away this season as his leaky quick strike-bowler role is better filled by Rae. Dylan Hunter, whose newly-minted cricinfo birthdate is off by 10 years, retains his spot in the squad at least.

ataraxia

International Coach
Foxcroft in rescue mode out to a terrible lbw call. Unless he can provide a grand 4th-innings display again, that's the game.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Didn’t seem to be, but all but a couple were batsmen “going after” him so might say ad much about their techniques as anything. But still it’s his 3rd 5-fer in only his 8th FC game so a pretty good start to his career by NZ spinner standards.
It was actually pretty disappointing to see a bunch of FC batsmen swinging fairly wildly at Ashok, despite their team being well behind and needing to consolidate. None of the seven wickets looked jammy, but a few did look very unnecessary.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah this is another problem with developing spinners, especially wrist spinners, in NZ domestic cricket. A heap of wickets come from getting the ball above eyeline and the batter having a massive swipe at it.

Still, looked like Ashok was bowling nicely there, not a single wicket from a half-tracker or full toss.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Great start to M Hay's domestic career - 739 runs at 41 and a chance to downhill-ski a first century today, if McConchie lets him bat that long.

At different times he's opened and he's kept wicket for Canterbury. Anyone know which way he's more likely to go long term?

ataraxia

International Coach
Great start to M Hay's domestic career - 739 runs at 41 and a chance to downhill-ski a first century today, if McConchie lets him bat that long.

At different times he's opened and he's kept wicket for Canterbury. Anyone know which way he's more likely to go long term?
Well Fletcher's left / been pushed out to Auckland in favour of him, so probably keeping.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well Fletcher's left / been pushed out to Auckland in favour of him, so probably keeping.
If the latter is true then yes sounds like he's a keeper first. Though I wondered if Fletcher might've left of his own accord, Hay was just the best remaining wicketkeeping option and so they pushed him down the order too.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
It’s a capital pre-Christmas domination (followed by a March calamitous collapse) we haven’t seen the likes of since Papps & Woodcock days.