• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

Howsie

International Captain
Sandeep Patel finally gets an opportunity and proceeds to hit a quick fire 145…

Yeah he’s played one first class game before this but that was the game where ND lost their entire team to a covid test and debuted about 7-8 players. Talented kid can bowl some decent medium pace too.

ND have 5/6 guys around his age that have just never been given a shot. Need to move on from the likes of Raval, Hampton’s etc and blood more of these kids before they chuck cricket in which a couple of them did this winter

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Any reason shipley isn't featuring for canterbry? Would have assumed he was fit by now given how long he's been out.

ataraxia

International Coach
Sandeep Patel finally gets an opportunity and proceeds to hit a quick fire 145…

Yeah he’s played one first class game before this but that was the game where ND lost their entire team to a covid test and debuted about 7-8 players. Talented kid can bowl some decent medium pace too.

ND have 5/6 guys around his age that have just never been given a shot. Need to move on from the likes of Raval, Hampton’s etc and blood more of these kids before they chuck cricket in which a couple of them did this winter
Don't agree with setting Raval, Popli go because the good FC bat is such a valuable commodity. But Hampton sucks, and all ND's top-order batters are much worse in LO cricket, and they consistently play a bowler many. So I certainly agree on that front.

Meanwhile Wellington have decided to squander a 170-run first-innings lead -- sans Abbas, who remains an exceptionally promising prospect.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Foulkes's bowling sure is interesting.

For me, at my talent levels, that hooping inswing is my nightmare. But traditionally the higher levels you go the easier batters find inswing. To the point where at test level it used to get gobbled up.

The 'Broad method' of around wicket to LHers has breathed new life into it though.

Howsie

International Captain
Don't agree with setting Raval, Popli go because the good FC bat is such a valuable commodity. But Hampton sucks, and all ND's top-order batters are much worse in LO cricket, and they consistently play a bowler many. So I certainly agree on that front.

Meanwhile Wellington have decided to squander a 170-run first-innings lead -- sans Abbas, who remains an exceptionally promising prospect.
tbf Raval should never have been brought down in the first place, he wasn’t needed.

You are right, and you do need to strike a balance when it comes to youth versus experience but I definitely believe the average age of our first class teams at the moment is way too high. I’d love to know the average age for every team in 2023 to say 2013 for example and what the difference is.

We had a few guys from the ND region chuck cricket in this winter simply because they weren’t getting the opportunities they needed to make a real go of being a professional cricketer. I remember Santner for example close to doing the same thing back when Braeburn was coaching, he goes, new coach comes in and gets rid of a few older heads and 18 months later he’s playing for New Zealand. He’s not the perfect cricketer but how many Santners do we lose due to older guys not being moved on quick enough?

Howsie

International Captain
Foulkes's bowling sure is interesting.

For me, at my talent levels, that hooping inswing is my nightmare. But traditionally the higher levels you go the easier batters find inswing. To the point where at test level it used to get gobbled up.

The 'Broad method' of around wicket to LHers has breathed new life into it though.
Foulkes in general is an interesting cricketer. This isn’t the first time he’s opened the batting for Canterbury in first class cricket. Yep he hasn’t done anything with the bat yet but anyone, especially someone at just 21 who is deemed good enough to open the batting and then bowl first change pace is definitely someone I’ve been following since his debut.

Would be interesting to know how quick he is

ataraxia

International Coach
An interesting last over at the Basin, with Hay desperately trying to find a way to smash Sears, capped off superlatively.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That's great to hear that Foulkes has opened the batting before - looks an even more useful allrounder then. I wonder if Canterbury will put him back down the order when back to full strength, or if he's opening for the season now. Good start for Abbas too - we have quite a few young allrounders in the next generation.

Thought N Smith looked good with the ball, long may it continue. Sears a bit more patchy.

That Auckland batting lineup should not be getting dominated that heavily by CD's attack, even if they had to spend 140 overs in the field first. CD's attack relies on bowling tight, a bit of nip and a lot of patience (with the sometimes exception of Tickner) and Auckland's top 8 batting looks pretty good on paper. So 264 and 168 is terrible.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Another tough year ahead as a Volts supporter. 😢
Once Rutherford back at the top and Muller also back to provide engine-rooming down the order, the Otago batting lineup doesn't even look that bad. They always seem to have a major collapse in them though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Go watch the hay dismissal vs wellington if you haven't already. Tried scooping sears, fell on his ass in the process and hit the stumps with his bat as he completed the shot, so given out as hit wicket. Peak cricket.
Sears' reaction almost as good.

Then Smith's dismissal of Sheat is an early contender for my favourite bowled of the season. Middle stump cartwheels. Mmmmm.