• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New ICC Test Rankings

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Protea said:
What confuses me is how India are rated below both England & Pakistan...I think India should be no. 2 with SA at 3
Why should India be no. 2 and why South Africa after? Explain further and quote results please.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
So it doesn't matter squat in the official rankings?
No it does matter. It means that the West Indies close the gap and come a series or two away from moving up from #8. Not going to happen though.

Swervy

International Captain
Protea said:
What confuses me is how India are rated below both England & Pakistan...I think India should be no. 2 with SA at 3
You ranking method is purely subjective..the official rankings are based on actual results, which is what counts.

its no good India drawing with Australia and yet getting hammered by NZ, Indias lack of consistancy is showing in the rankings. Englands current run of results compares very favourably to Indias

Sehwag309

Banned
marc71178 said:
A few ifs and maybes there!

True, but an Ind/Aus Draw series is the least likely than Eng beating WI 3-0 again. In addition, if India wins the auzzie series 2-1, then let Eng beat WI 4-0, it wouldn't matter, India NO.2

Swervy

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
True, but an Ind/Aus Draw series is the least likely than Eng beating WI 3-0 again. In addition, if India wins the auzzie series 2-1, then let Eng beat WI 4-0, it wouldn't matter, India NO.2
which would be a fair indication of the power balance in the test game at the moment..however a 2-1 victory to India is a big ask

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:
which would be a fair indication of the power balance in the test game at the moment..however a 2-1 victory to India is a big ask
I feel otherwise, its not the same deal as Lanka for Australia.

Swervy

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
I feel otherwise, its not the same deal as Lanka for Australia.
no its not,(although Sri lanka are almost as tough to beat at home as India are)..but surely you cannot kid yourself into thinking this will be a stroll in the park for India.

I will still say that anything but an Australian series win will be a surprise to me

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:
no its not,(although Sri lanka are almost as tough to beat at home as India are)..but surely you cannot kid yourself into thinking this will be a stroll in the park for India.

I will still say that anything but an Australian series win will be a surprise to me

:) Nothing is a stroll in the park for India. I personally feel its gonna be a tight series

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sehwag309 said:
True, but an Ind/Aus Draw series is the least likely than Eng beating WI 3-0 again.

You think so?

England are on a roll now, and that momentum will quite possibly carry them to a handsome series win.

Tomorrow (or today as it is now) is the key.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
NZ perform well againt AUS but they are 7th. I think the hiding the kiwis got from ENG and the amount of upcoming talent will see NZ climb back to 3rd in the next two years. Their home record is not startling so wins against SL and even a drawn series against AUS will see a decent rise.

India has hardly won an away series in the last 10 years so how could anyone realistically think them to be the 2nd best team. They do perform well against AUS though.

Last edited:

Sehwag309

Banned
marc71178 said:
You think so?

England are on a roll now, and that momentum will quite possibly carry them to a handsome series win.

Tomorrow (or today as it is now) is the key.
We'll see..and I am sure you would too :cool:

Waughney

International Debutant
Will Scarlet said:
India has hardly won an away series in the last 10 years so how could anyone realistically think them to be the 2nd best team. They do perform well against AUS though.
They can be considered (in official rankings) because test series before 2001-2002 are not included.

Swervy

International Captain
i did think before today that WI's ranking (well the number of points they have) was a bit harsh...not anymore...that was genuinely one of the worst bowling desplays I have seen in the last 20 years in a test match

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
SL has lost more home series than india since 90 they even lost to england at home :-O :-O
and get ready to suprise since OCT is not that far away

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
SL has lost more home series than india since 90 they even lost to england at home :-O :-O
why pick 1990 as your cut off point....1990 has no relevance to today..and anyway,Sri lanka were still an emerging test playing nation at that point..Sri lanka only won their 3rd ever test in December 1992

yeah dont worry...I am sure the Aussie team are looking forward to October as much as you are

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
anyway...have a look at the official ranking...even England are better than India :D