• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Was it one of the Private tours to Australia in the 19th Century which were given Test status ?

If that's correct , is it Andrew Stoddart or one of the others ?:)

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Was it one of the Private tours to Australia in the 19th Century which were given Test status ?

If that's correct , is it Andrew Stoddart or one of the others ?:)
No it is a Test that took place in England and the players wanted more money, it is a rather famous case as far as professional cricketers go:)

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
William Gunn. They are the professionals who threatened to stand down from a Test match in 1899 if they were not given a share of the gate. Unlike the Aussies who did the same in 1884/5 (8-) ), all but two agreed to withdraw their demands.

archie mac

International Coach
Tapioca said:
William Gunn. They are the professionals who threatened to stand down from a Test match in 1899 if they were not given a share of the gate. Unlike the Aussies who did the same in 1884/5 (8-) ), all but two agreed to withdraw their demands.
Well done Tapi, I thought that one might be to hard, your turn :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Good on you Archie for trying to reawaken this thread - Unfortunately SJS has gone fishin' in the middle of the question in both threads - leaving them to die.

I will post new question shortly to keep both threads running.:)
Sorry for that Jason though I hadnt gone fishing.

I had to rush to Jammu where my mother was in a bad condition. She suffers from blood cancer.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:

I had to rush to Jammu where my mother was in a bad condition. She suffers from blood cancer.

Sorry to hear that SJS, hope all is well?

If Tapi does not mind, and you will be around for awhile, may we go back to your Q?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Sorry to hear that SJS.

I am happy to pass that one. If SJS cannot ask the next one, I'll ask an ordinary question here.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:

Sorry to hear that, I hope your Mum is well !! My thoughts and prayers are with you .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I am back. Mu mother is better and we can only hope and pray that she will be with us for some time yet.

Yes I am back. Reaching Bombay tonight as I write this from Delhi airport.

We can go back to my question if its okay for everyone.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q14. Are both players playing in the match?.....NO
Q15. Are they both amateurs?.....NO
Q16. Godfrey Evans ?......YES

So who is the other player and who was the one who said this of the two ?

We will allow 21 questions since Q13 was not intended to be a question though I doubt this will go that far.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Who said this and to whom ?

Before you came in, I knew you were no gentlemen. Now that I have seen you batting a bit, I know you are not a player, either.

Q1 Is the person talking English?.....YES
Q2. Is the person he is talking about Ranji?....NO
Q3. Did both play Test cricket?......YES
Q4. Is he talking to an Australian?......NO
Q5. Is he talking to an Englishman?......YES
Q6. If yes, is it an amateur talking to a professional?......NO
Q7. Did this conversation take place before WWll?......NO
Q8. Did this conversation take place during a Test Match?.........NO

CLUE # ! : This took place in a Gentlemen vs Players match and they are both england test players.

Q9. Did it involve any dismissal that is considered 'bad form' (mankading, for instance) ?........NO
Q10. Was it WG Grace ?........NO
Q11. Did the Test players Make their Debut in the 19th Century ?.....NO
Q12. Did they Make their Test Debut before WW 1 ?......NO
Q13. Test Debut before WW2 ?.......NO

Clue # 2. Thomas is one players christian name

Q14. Are both players playing in the match?.....NO
Q15. Are they both amateurs?.....NO
Q16. Godfrey Evans ?......YES
Q17. Q17. Is the other fellow still alive?.....YES

I hope I got them all :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q18. Is Godfrey the one talking?......YES

Clue # 3 : The other opened the batting for England in test matches.