• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Which former English Test cricketer had a name curiously similar to that of a character from Catch-22 ?

(I hope I have got my facts right here. If you are familiar with Catch-22, you may not need to go the SJS route. It is possible that there could be multiple answers to this question. I am looking for a specific one but you'll get points if you can do better than the one I am thinking about).

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know Catch 22 fairly well. Dunno any cricketers called "Yossarian" tho! :D

Is the character who sounds like the cricketer ranked higher than Yossarian?

archie mac

International Coach
Tapioca said:
Which former English Test cricketer had a name curiously similar to that of a character from Catch-22 ?

(I hope I have got my facts right here. If you are familiar with Catch-22, you may not need to go the SJS route. It is possible that there could be multiple answers to this question. I am looking for a specific one but you'll get points if you can do better than the one I am thinking about).
Dobbs= Hobbs? But that is to easy :huh:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Not Dobbs.

>> Is the character who sounds like the cricketer ranked higher than Yossarian?

What was Yossarian ? Pilot ? Higher than that (and a soldier, not someone like Milo)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The only English Test Cricketer to have died in his twenties in WW1 that I can find is a person called Major Booth . But can't think whose name it rhymes with . :blink:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Hutchings?

Can't think of a character to go with him though, even though I know Catch-22 very well.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I said 'curiously similar' - not that the names rhymed.

Major was the first name of Major Booth . He might have ended up as Major Major Booth, but he sadly died as Second lieutenant Major Booth.

His counterpart in Catch-22 is Major Major who did end up as Major Major Major Major :p

Catch-22 contains a memorable description of Major Major

Major Major had been born too late and too mediocre. Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three. Even among men lacking all distinction he inevitably stood out as a man lacking more distinction than all the rest, and people who met him were always impressed by how unimpressive he was.
All yours, Jason

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

What is the uniqueness that joins the following 4 Englishmen together as a group ?
Mike Gatting, John Emburey, Chris Cowdrey, Graham Gooch