• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Yes, he has, Gillespie has always had form slumps.
Just that his good patches in between them tend to be rather sensational.
the start to Clarkes test career was not?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
the start to Clarkes test career was not?
5 Tests - wow.
Gillespie's tend to be a bit longer than that (and they've also happened plenty of times more).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Marsh said Chris Read was the best he'd ever seen - Marsh is hopelessly hyperbolic - the minute someone comes to an Academy of his and works hard he tends to call them the best he's ever seen.

ahh yes but ponting still gained the tag didn't he :p not quite as publicly as Clarke cause noone really cares much for tasmania, than again, Pontings Record in internationals isn't too shabby is it ;)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
5 Tests - wow.
Gillespie's tend to be a bit longer than that (and they've also happened plenty of times more).

well if you let clarke play just a few more tests he might have the chance

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Yes, but those 2 didn't have this patch so early in their career...
Tendulkar after 13 Tests: 666 runs at 35.05
Lara after 4 Tests: 244 runs at 30.50

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
ahh yes but ponting still gained the tag didn't he :p not quite as publicly as Clarke cause noone really cares much for tasmania, than again, Pontings Record in internationals isn't too shabby is it ;)
Did he gain it from anyone except Marsh?
Because, as I mention, gaining it from Marsh means sod-all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
well if you let clarke play just a few more tests he might have the chance
He might - hence I've not said he should be dropped from the side.
I've simply said Clarke has done nowhere near as well as so many people would like to think.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
i dont think his lack of a decent FC record has anything to do with it mate. Its just a faze, he is young has i said just now it if u can remember it was the same problem Mark Waugh had earlier in his career, but it doesn't bother me much he will get out of it and it should bother u neither ur an aussie fan just like me
Mark Waugh who after 9 Tests averaged 54.45?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Did he gain it from anyone except Marsh?
Because, as I mention, gaining it from Marsh means sod-all.

most people who saw him play even at the start of his career knew he would be class, picked as future test captain by Richie Benaud at age 19 if i remember correctly

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Langer, Hayden, Stephen Waugh, Ponting, Martyn and Lehmann's early careers were a bit more disjointed than Clarke's.
None of them, even Ponting AFAIK, undeservedly acquired the wonderkid tab in such a flurry.
I think that's probably partly an image thing. None of the others (although I've a feeling Linda will probably disagree about Martyn!) are as photogenic as young Michael.

The same is true about the clamour to get B Lee back into the test team; it makes debatable cricketing sense to ditch Kasper (FWIW I wouldn't), but perfect marketing sense.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
He might - hence I've not said he should be dropped from the side.
I've simply said Clarke has done nowhere near as well as so many people would like to think.

hes also done nowhere near as badly as certain people like to think

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I think that's probably partly an image thing. None of the others (although I've a feeling Linda will probably disagree about Martyn!) are as photogenic as young Michael.

wasn't martyn a model before playing full time cricket?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Waugh who after 9 Tests averaged 54.45?
My GOD, Mark Waugh also averaged 138 after his first Test!!

Your number fails to take the following into account; he made his debut in the 1990/91 series against England and was dropped for the fifth Test against India the following summer for poor form for Tom Moody (along with Geoff Marsh who was dropped for Wayne Phillips, the ultimate one-Test wonder) after a series where his scores when this way:

11, 34, 5, 18, 15, 0.

Then he was recalled for the series in SL away where his scores were just a little worse:

5, 56, 0, 0, 0, 0.

It was only after that series in SL that he started to build his career back up again. But I would say that the Aussie selectors were quite generous to him in the early days when a slump like that is taken into account.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Top_Cat said:
My GOD, Mark Waugh also averaged 138 after his first Test!!

Your number fails to take the following into account; he made his debut in the 1990/91 series against England and was dropped for the fifth Test against India the following summer for poor form for Tom Moody (along with Geoff Marsh who was dropped for Wayne Phillips, the ultimate one-Test wonder) after a series where his scores when this way:

11, 34, 5, 18, 15, 0.

Then he was recalled for the series in SL away where his scores were just a little worse:

5, 56, 0, 0, 0, 0.

It was only after that series in SL that he started to build his career back up again. But I would say that the Aussie selectors were quite generous to him in the early days when a slump like that is taken into account.
thats for the back up their on mark waugh mate :D , shocking i didn't know that