• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not a great shock that you refuse to acknowledge the fact that he was clearly one of Australia's best batsman in the series.
Indeed not.

Before the series I was very sceptical about him, and have made many comments about him on here in the past.

I have to say that he impressed me greatly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
greg said:
I wasn't disagreeing about that. On a number of occasions though i recall the commentators claiming that the ball was conventionally and reverse swinging at the same time when it wasn't.
Do you?
I only recall one or two, and I examined it (once assisted by Simon Hughes) and found it to be correct.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Do you actually watch the same game as everyone else?
Possibly not, given that some have made the utterly ludicrous claim that he was unlucky when in fact he was extremely lucky.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Indeed not.

Before the series I was very sceptical about him, and have made many comments about him on here in the past.

I have to say that he impressed me greatly.
In other words you made up your mind before watching him (!)
Who does that accusation remind me of, now... 8-)

greg

International Debutant
Richard said:
Do you?
I only recall one or two, and I examined it (once assisted by Simon Hughes) and found it to be correct.
Yes. Otherwise i wouldn't have written it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I wasn't able to watch every session on C4 due to work, so you clearly had more scope than me.
All I can say, however, is that there were a couple of occasions where the commentators said conventional and reverse swing were happening at the same time and it was true.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Possibly not, given that some have made the utterly ludicrous claim that he was unlucky when in fact he was extremely lucky.

Hmm, here we go again - everybody else is wrong, and I'm right...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
In other words you made up your mind before watching him (!)
Who does that accusation remind me of, now... 8-)
No, in other words I was sceptical as to how good he actually was because his record wasn't that great.

If I'd made up my mind, why would I then have posted that?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Hmm, here we go again - everybody else is wrong, and I'm right...
So explain to me how someone who has had at least 7 pieces of good luck and 1 piece of bad in a series was unlucky...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
No, in other words I was sceptical as to how good he actually was because his record wasn't that great.

If I'd made up my mind, why would I then have posted that?
And his record still isn't that great... he still doesn't look like he'll make an especially good player.
Of course, things can change.
Such an extraordinary coincidence that you can do the typical praise of a young player now that your team has beaten the team he's involved in...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not a great shock that you refuse to acknowledge the fact that he was clearly one of Australia's best batsman in the series. Only Langer looked more consistently comfortable against the swing and seam of the England seamers, and Clarke was easily the best against Giles. Overall, Langer was better, Ponting played one great innings, but Clarke had a very solid and actually quite unlucky series. He still has some problems with shot selection, but his technique is utterly superb and stood the test of the Ashes series extremely well.
That is highly debatable (sp).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
That is highly debatable (sp).
I don't think it's debatable that:
a) Clarke looked the most comfortable of any Australian batsman aside from Langer and Ponting against swing and seam during the Ashes
or b) Clarke is clearly the best player of spin in the Australian team... especially now that Martyn has been dropped.

That amounts to a superb technique. The vast majority of his dismissals during the Ashes were caused by poor shot selection, he was never technically exposed by any bowler, despite the fact that his supposed weakness was genuine pace.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't think it's debatable that:
a) Clarke looked the most comfortable of any Australian batsman aside from Langer and Ponting against swing and seam during the Ashes
or b) Clarke is clearly the best player of spin in the Australian team... especially now that Martyn has been dropped.

That amounts to a superb technique. The vast majority of his dismissals during the Ashes were caused by poor shot selection, he was never technically exposed by any bowler, despite the fact that his supposed weakness was genuine pace.
Clarke is a better player of spin than Hayden...? :blink:
Just possibly Clarke might have been better exposed had he not been so remarkably lucky. Indeed I'd like to know how he wasn't technically exposed by Hoggard's working-over in that shocker of an innings at The Oval.

howardj

International Coach
On balance though, he had a solid series. Definitely a pass mark. That, in itself, was a very good achievement against some absolutely world class fast bowling - which was formerly a weakness of Clarke's.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He did indeed Howard - and shut a fair few people up at the time.

Now you just need to find another 6 batsmen of quality ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Clarke is a better player of spin than Hayden...? :blink:
Just possibly Clarke might have been better exposed had he not been so remarkably lucky. Indeed I'd like to know how he wasn't technically exposed by Hoggard's working-over in that shocker of an innings at The Oval.
Hayden's play of spin has declined just like his play of seam. The powerhouse that tore apart India in 2001 has been reduced to playing the sweep or the slog down the ground and nothing else, his footwork has declined hugely and he is prone to hitting the ball straight to fielders in the deep off spinners. He is still a good player of spin, but certainly not as good as he once was, and Clarke and Martyn are obviously more reliable these days.

And, as far as The Oval goes, conditions were difficult for batting, the bowling was good and Clarke was under directions to score runs quickly. It hardly invalidates what he achieved earlier in the series.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
marc71178 said:
He did indeed Howard - and shut a fair few people up at the time.

Now you just need to find another 6 batsmen of quality ;)
First time you haven't barked at one of my posts. This could be the embryonic stages of a wonderful friendship. :D

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hayden's play of spin has declined just like his play of seam. The powerhouse that tore apart India in 2001 has been reduced to playing the sweep or the slog down the ground and nothing else, his footwork has declined hugely and he is prone to hitting the ball straight to fielders in the deep off spinners. He is still a good player of spin, but certainly not as good as he once was, and Clarke and Martyn are obviously more reliable these days.
What do you mean? Hayden was "batting really well the whole summer"

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16760357-23212,00.html

Seriously, I think some of these lads have swallowed Buchanan's quote books.