• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
I probably shouldn't admit this (only because Mr Wright will want to pay all of his life savings for this :D) but I own the official video highlights of Queensland's first Sheffield Shield win in 1994-95. In it, you see Marty Love, about 21, playing I think was his his second or third match for QLD. He smacked the daylights out of the SA (yes, it was South Australia in the final, leave me alone) attack for about 150-odd and was so crisp off the back-foot. After watching that knock live at the time and later on again when I got the video, it beggars belief that it took 10000+ FC runs for him to be considered for a Test spot.

Another unrelated note; it was Jason Gillespie's 4th (?) FC match and I can promise you, he was a vastly different bowler. He was barely touching 130km/h at the time and his action was just weird.
You can pretty much bank on Love scoring a century in a FC final. He did it this year after having a diabolical season with the bat.

Mister Wright

vic_orthdox said:
I completely disagree about those balls. It wasn't as though he was the only bloke to go out to Vaas like that on the first day - balls that were swinging away and cutting a little bit further. He did cop two pretty good knackers IMO, moreso the first than the second.

Simply put, it's like what happened with Bevan under Ponting. S. Waugh became Captain, was never really a fan, and coupled with a poor series against the best opening bowlers in the world at that stage, screwed his chances of playing for Aus.
They weren't particularly vicous deliveries. Regulation balls from a top class bowler, he should have handled them better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
that was a pity really, from what i saw off him he looked like a player of real class, and now it appears that he may never get another chance at the international level again. :down:
Blimey, if tec is :down: it must big a big sadness! :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

You can pretty much bank on Love scoring a century in a FC final. He did it this year after having a diabolical season with the bat.
Yet another reason why it was unfortunate he didn't get picked earlier; he's definitely a big-match player.

Mister Wright

Top_Cat said:
Yet another reason why it was unfortunate he didn't get picked earlier; he's definitely a big-match player.
Yeah, 'aint that the truth. I think for too long in his career he was pidgeon holed as a number 3 only. I mean, if you can bat three, you can bat middle order. I guess the only thing against playing as a number 3, is you don't have to wait as long as a number 6. That is where Elliot was shown up not to be a three. He couldn't handle the waiting.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
He batted at 3 for an entire South African series and the test against Sri Lanka.
From memory, he didn't have the worst series in SA, though? Probably not the best, either, but still...

Top_Cat

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
The 85 he scored in the match below was the best knock of that series but indeed, he didn't capitalise. To this day, I remember and hear from other people his hooked 6 off Alan Donald; it sent a message to the Saffies and I don't think they liked what they saw. :)

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1996-97/AUS_IN_RSA/AUS_RSA_T1_28FEB-04MAR1997.html
Yeah. Guys from my club talk about a front foot pull off Donald in that series, and they still talk about it being one of the best shots they've ever seen. But I'm sure they're a bit biased ;) Might be the same shot you're referring to.

Top_Cat

Yeah. Guys from my club talk about a front foot pull off Donald in that series, and they still talk about it being one of the best shots they've ever seen. But I'm sure they're a bit biased
If you'd seen it, that thought wouldn't even enter your mind. :D

Top_Cat

I meant you wouldn't think they were just biased - it really was an outstanding shot. They may well BE biased but not without reason. Wish I still had footage. You could almost hear Elliott thinking "Geez, smacked that one." and Donald thinking "That's never happened before..........."

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke is a highly gifted batsman going through a bad patch. To use this to call him over hyped is unfair and worse.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
I meant you wouldn't think they were just biased - it really was an outstanding shot. They may well BE biased but not without reason. Wish I still had footage. You could almost hear Elliott thinking "Geez, smacked that one." and Donald thinking "That's never happened before..........."
IF it had never happened before it will have happened a few times since.
Even the best bowlers get Hooked for six occasionally.

Top_Cat

IF it had never happened before it will have happened a few times since.
Even the best bowlers get Hooked for six occasionally.
:blink:

I'm a bit stuck for words after reading this so I'm going to try some combination of "Duh", "Doi" or maybe "My God, Veronica, ya think??"

Hooked for 6, yes of course. Pulled off the front-foot, the sort of shot that even the very best only try against medium-pacers, forget about a guy who was bowling thunderbolts at 150km/h+ and was in great form, no not quite as often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not quite as often no - exceptionally un-often in fact.
But think... of all the 150kph thunderbolts that have been bowled, the odd one WILL have had a similar stroke played with similar effects.

howardj

International Coach
Damn you to hell, whoever revived this thread. I was hoping it would be forgotten about and die a slow death :)