• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Mister Wright said:
Just look at his first class career. He has never been a consistent performer and his mediocre average proves it.
even so, he still has talent and has i have maintain its just a phase that clarke is going through, you dont score so much runs in your debut series in India which is one of the toughest places for a tourist to make his debut, and be so dominant and not be talented. For me i think Clarke is batting one slot to high, i think he should be at 6, sending Katich up to 5 wont be a bad option

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scoring runs in India is only tough given turning pitches, which happened in just 2 out of the 4 Tests - coincidentally, the two that Clarke didn't score that many runs in.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Scoring runs in India is only tough given turning pitches, which happened in just 2 out of the 4 Tests - coincidentally, the two that Clarke didn't score that many runs in.
richard all the pithces in that series, Bangalore,Chennai, Nagpur and Mumbai had assistance for the spinners, maybe in nagpur it wasn't that much has the rest but still enough to keep a spinner interested

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
You didn't even watch the bloody series. The only pitch in that series which was not a big turner is Nagpur, and even that had more spin than your average Australian wicket. The other three were big turners.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
And having seen Clarke field for more than this winter I think he goes poorly.
Clarke may be an over-rated batsman, but he is an excellent fielder...catcher? Well that's a different story...

Mister Wright

aussie said:
even so, he still has talent and has i have maintain its just a phase that clarke is going through, you dont score so much runs in your debut series in India which is one of the toughest places for a tourist to make his debut, and be so dominant and not be talented. For me i think Clarke is batting one slot to high, i think he should be at 6, sending Katich up to 5 wont be a bad option
Having talent doesn't give you an extended test career, being mentally tough and a compact technique gives you success at test level. Look at Hick, probably one of the most talented batsmen in the last 2 decades, but he was never able to be consistent at test level. The major difference between Hick & Clarke, is that Hick had the domestic record to justify his selection - Clarke hasn't.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:

made 39* in the 2nd innings of one of those which isn't too bad.

Mister Wright

age_master said:
not really for mine, hes not a slip, but in the gully or in the deep hes good.
Not too sure about the Gully, but Cover/mid-wicket he is good. Nowhere near the class of Symonds in the field.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
xan_pro said:
clarke - a hype. its ABSOLUTELY WRONG. he is such a wonderful player. he is a perfect allrounder.
he quite obviously is nothing of the sort, his bowling is not of the quality required to call yourself and allrounder, i wouldnt say that he was perfect at anything either.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Hick, on the other hand, was Test-class only for a small part of his Test-career (1994-1996). And there's a good reason for that.
it was 93-96, and it formed nearly half his career.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
how many times must it be said?
bangalore was a slow turner for the 1st and 2nd innings, eventually like most subcontinental wickets, there was turn and bounce, in the 3rd and 4th inning.
and scoring 151 against the likes of kumble and harbhajan is quite an achievement on any slow turner. raging turners hardly ever happen in test cricket, having 2 in the same series was extremely surprising indeed.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Not too sure about the Gully, but Cover/mid-wicket he is good. Nowhere near the class of Symonds in the field.
noone is except for maybe Ponting.

id put him in a world top 10 in the field fairly comfortably.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Having talent doesn't give you an extended test career, being mentally tough and a compact technique gives you success at test level. Look at Hick, probably one of the most talented batsmen in the last 2 decades, but he was never able to be consistent at test level. The major difference between Hick & Clarke, is that Hick had the domestic record to justify his selection - Clarke hasn't.
ok mate, i understand ur point with hick but hick didn't have such a great start to his test career i for one will maintain its just a phase, but lets monitor what he does over the next year in the ashes, super test and home againts SA & WI and we will see if all the talent he has isn't good enough for test cricket

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
ok mate, i understand ur point with hick but hick didn't have such a great start to his test career i for one will maintain its just a phase, but lets monitor what he does over the next year in the ashes, super test and home againts SA & WI and we will see if all the talent he has isn't good enough for test cricket
I think, after the Ashes series, the only arena in which you'll be monitoring Clarke's form in the longer version of the game, will be the Pura Cup. :p

Mister Wright

aussie said:
He has to get through the Ashes first.

It cannot be considered a slump if it has defined his entire first class career. What people don't realise, is that during the 'hot' summer he had before he was brought into the international side, he only scored about 2 centuries for the whole season, it would surprise me if he averaged any higher than 45. He then went to England and struggled until the end. It is not like he has been pounding centuries everywhere he plays for the last 3 seasons, if so, then you would call it a slump, but at the moment you would have to say this current patch of form is characteristic of his entire career.