• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Meet the ICC Hall of Famers: Sunil Gavaskar

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But it's one nation - and it's not like Lillee toured India either to make it up so....
Sample size: 3 tests in matches vs Lillee. 3 matches out of 125.

You'd have a point with regards to scrutinising his record there if he had similar such holes elsewhere - e.g averaging 100 or whatever vs a crap Windies attack but only ~20 odd when the proper team showed up. But that's simply not true.

My point was also specific to averages against a SINGLE individual bowler (and that's not even in a match involving Lillee, but specifically an average VS Lilee)
That's just bull**** - this is how you start getting into "But he had a broken fingernail at that time and clearly wasn't in the right mood to play cricket/out of form" etc crap.

For the record, if the above is true, then he averages higher vs Lillee (21) than he does in a match involving Lillee (19) so....

A better stat is this: In matches involving any of Lillee, Botham, Holding, Marshall, Garner, Imran, Hadlee - a total of 61 matches - he averages 50+

Not having a go at you by the way, just earlier regarding a specific average vs one specific bowler only - a match size sample of 3 tests.
I don’t know about individual bowlers, I’m talking about his average vs a full strength attack at all. Lillee peculiarly gets marked down for a sample size of three tests in Pakistan, but you know, Sunny Days and all that.