• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

lara vs tendulkar

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
I would just rather Ponting he is more of a match winner were as Dravid is probably more a match saving player. Personaly I like an aggresive player who is prepared to take the initiative in a tight contest between bat and ball.
ponting plays in australia where you can score at 5 runs an over and get away with it. lets see him try to play aggressive in india! his innings in adelaide certainly shows that he is very much a match winner. its ponting who im worried about,how many innings has he played under pressure in the test arena?

Eclipse said:
Ponting has 35 International hundereds to Dravid's 25 and Dravid has played 26 more international innings.

Given this stat alone I think it's reasonable for me to argue my case that Ponting is at least as good as Dravid.
whos average is higher btw?

Eclipse said:
He is also a much better One Day batsman and can play good innings in pressure matches (WC Final). Dravid could never have played an innings like that.
there is not much doubt that ponting is a better player than dravid in the ODI's. but dravid is ahead by a country mile in tests because of his ability to play those gritty knocks under pressure.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Avrages dont mean everything Lara's avrage is not as high as Hayden, Dravid etc... but we all still consider him one of the two best batsman going around.

I had no idea untill I cheeked just then his avrage had jumped to 58 I though it was still around 56 witch it was at the time I last cheeked infact it was more or less exactly the same as Ponting's who's avrage has sliped 2 runs since then from 56 to 54.

The diffrence between 4 runs in avrage is quite alot I suppose but just a few monthes ago they were basicly the same.

lets not forget Ponting scored 1500 odd runs in 2003 at an avrage of 100.5 or there abouts but of course Dravid also avrage around 100 all be it with much less innings and with only about 800 runs.

I dont think I can convince anyone not even myself now to be honest that he is a better test batsman than Dravid but overall as a batsman I rank Ponting slightly ahead but again it's very close and it's not worth arguing about.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
Avrages dont mean everything Lara's avrage is not as high as Hayden, Dravid etc... but we all still consider him one of the two best batsman going around.

I had no idea untill I cheeked just then his avrage had jumped to 58 I though it was still around 56 witch it was at the time I last cheeked infact it was more or less exactly the same as Ponting's who's avrage has sliped 2 runs since then from 56 to 54.

The diffrence between 4 runs in avrage is quite alot I suppose but just a few monthes ago they were basicly the same.

lets not forget Ponting scored 1500 odd runs in 2003 at an avrage of 100.5 or there abouts but of course Dravid also avrage around 100 all be it with much less innings and with only about 800 runs.

I dont think I can convince anyone not even myself now to be honest that he is a better test batsman than Dravid but overall as a batsman I rank Ponting slightly ahead but again it's very close and it's not worth arguing about.
i agree with you its not about the averages....but has ponting played test match knocks under pressure?

Eclipse

International Debutant
i agree with you its not about the averages....but has ponting played test match knocks under pressure?
Yes has but much more so when he was batting at number six he has quite a few hundreds coming in when Australia were five down for not many.

Since he has been batting at number three he has had an easyer life basicly because of the strength of that top three of witch he is part of.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
So, in other words, he makes himself look better than he is because he's so good?

??????

Deja moo

International Captain
I remember watching on TV a statistic about the alst 5 years, that Ponting ,in India-australia ODI's averages 100+ batting first, but a pathetic 23 or something batting second.

So much for his ability to take pressure.

Eclipse

International Debutant
orangepitch said:
I remember watching on TV a statistic about the alst 5 years, that Ponting ,in India-australia ODI's averages 100+ batting first, but a pathetic 23 or something batting second.

So much for his ability to take pressure.
Well 95% of batsman avrage signifigantly less batting second in ODI's (especialy in the sub-contenent) and even if 23 is a low avrage I know he has done well batting second against other teams I can remember a few hundreds made batting second under pressure againts England & Sri Lanka.

The best one was probably his 125 against Pakistan when Australia succsesfully chased down 315 odd.

Another very good innings batting second was his 92 against Soutch Africa when Australia broke the world record for a run chase in ODI's.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Pontings Overall avrage batting second in ODI's is 40.56 quite good.

But yeah he only avrages 26 batting second against India. I would say thats a combination of the fact 20 of those 33 innings batting second have been in the subcontenent probably facing spinners. More of a weekness in his techneque and ability against spin than a failure under pressure.

deeps said:
geez, that was such a defensive knock by dravid..wat was he thinking? taking soOO long to make 50..with a totally useless strike rate of 227...sooo defensive ..
1) It wasn't the only quick knock.
2) It wasn't the biggest or best knock
3) It wasn't a match-winning knock.

deeps said:
in the WC final dravid made 47 of 57 balls..i admit, no where near as brilliant as ponting...but dravid had alot more pressuer on him at that stage, because his team was chasing a mammoth total, and when he came into bat, the team was 3-59...
Irrelevant. What does it prove about Dravid? It didn't win the match and I'll argue that if his team was already gone, what pressure was there? Chasing a mammoth total in an all-or-nothing contest, there's only one thing to do.

Just out of curiosity, whose team put India/Dravid in that position? How much did this person have to do with it? How many runs did this person score in the match? Don't you think if you're going to bring up this particular match that someone might have performed just a tad better?

Deja moo

International Captain
I am completely convinced now. Ponting is batter than Dravid.Thanks for converting me.

All it takes is one single WC final innings.

Maybe AA will make 150 in 100 balls in the next WC final against LEe,McGrath, Gillespie etc , and then we will all agree that AA is a better batsman than Ponting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
More of a weekness in his techneque and ability against spin than a failure under pressure.

Ponting has a weakness?!

Some people on here (although this is not something I can aim at you) seem to think he's unstoppable!

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
thehellraiser said:
lara vs tendulkar:

what do u huys think.....
i think lara is the best batsmen in the world coz he has done so much and performed on tracks all over the world ....

coupled with the fact that he is playing in a very weak team where all the pressure is on him....while tendulkar has good batsmen around him....(i personally think of dravid as the best batsman in the indian team)......

Brian Lara is way better. I have my reasons but they'd take 3 long pages.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
orangepitch said:
I am completely convinced now. Ponting is batter than Dravid.Thanks for converting me.

All it takes is one single WC final innings.

Maybe AA will make 150 in 100 balls in the next WC final against LEe,McGrath, Gillespie etc , and then we will all agree that AA is a better batsman than Ponting.
How dare you even try to compare Ponting to The One? AA is beyond comparison.
:@ :@

Sehwag309

Banned
vishnureddy said:
Such support coming from a non-member of AAAS :laugh:
After reading AA's 150 of 100 balls, I had a dream (seriously) that he broke lara's record, he was 403* and ultimately got out at 479. The match was taking place in some mountain and he batted all 5 days :-O

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Ponting has a weakness?!

Some people on here (although this is not something I can aim at you) seem to think he's unstoppable!
It's not his only weekness ether.

He still plays a risky game on seaming wickets going hard at the ball and playing on the rise. It's a good thing he has a great eye or he would pay the price for it more often than he does.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
i think that Lara is the best for the mere fact that he has no one to fall back on. Australia and India are both powerful batting sides and cricket sides in general. WI is slightly better than Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Deja moo

International Captain
i think that Lara is the best for the mere fact that he has no one to fall back on. Australia and India are both powerful batting sides and cricket sides in general. WI is slightly better than Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.
In that case , Andy Flower is the best ever.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
no, but andy flower was a great and under rated batsman. In addition though, flower never scored the type of innings that Lara did. 153*,213 and the WR twice in addition or the 501*? Lara for the last two years has been averaging over 74. And this without any real batting support. Look at the SA series just completed, the Australia series just before that, the 2001 Sri Lankan series and the 1999 Australian series here in the WI. Then you'll see what i mean.