• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara vs Steve Waugh

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
He'll probably be successful in Australia, their home attack isn't nearly as terrible as India at home and Cummins has looked toothless since 2022 BGT, Starcc has completely fallen off and Lyon is in form but spinners aren't really a threat to Root at all.

too good a player to not have a big series of Australia imo, he constantly gets starts in Australia, he just needs to convert a couple. He isn't like Ponting in India or Dravid in South Africa who looked perpetually hopeless and weak, he isn't really weak to Bounce either like Dravid was to Bounce or Ponting was to spin, It's mostly mentality problems imo.

Reckon, this can be the closest Ashes down under in years
Don’t think he’s mentally tough enough or good enough against high quality pace to score there but maybe I’m wrong. It will certainly be a lot tougher than the series in India for him lmao.

Coronis

International Coach
Steve Waugh also got a pair of 25s when NZ thrashed Aussie in 1990 in Wellington* which was after Waugh averaged about a million in the 1989 Ashes.

* There were a pair of tests (famous Greatbatch drawn test in Perth at the end of 89 and this one)
I mean a 25 year old scoring 50 runs and being dismissed by Hadlee twice? I’m ok with that.

Johan

State 12th Man
Don’t think he’s mentally tough enough or good enough against high quality pace to score there but maybe I’m wrong. It will certainly be a lot tougher than the series in India for him lmao.
are you trying to say Australia have a stronger home attack than India?

tho He is indeed a bit iffy against Bounce, he gets starts and then throws them away, I've seen this pattern in both SA and Aus, in SA he is more consistent and has that amazing 100 at wanderers (6 50s btw) but in Aus it really shows. Not nearly as daft against high quality pace as Ponting against Spin and Dravid against Bounce but still, it stops him from being tier 1

Last edited:

BazBall21

International Captain
Win a series in NZ for the 1st time since 08 before you start thinking about the Ashes in Australia. If NZ don't pick Southee I think we'll beat you.
The unnecessary follow on in Wellington really grates. Especially given how batsman friendly NZ often is on days 3 and 4.

Migara

International Coach
Do you really rank Sanga 2nd best all time?

And if not 2nd, where do you rate him?
Issue is it is very difficult to rank him. I'd rank Bradman at #1. Although I have not seen, I like to put Sobers in #2.

Sanga's rank depends on how you look at him. How much he would have scored if he never kept? Or how much he would have averaged if he kept the whole career? We could have educated guesses only. Sanga as a pure bat averages 66, and obviously he is going to average less if he started it doing from the debut. He averages 40 with bat as a keeper, but once again it is going to be much more if he kept on keeping throughout his career.

An educated guess would put his average 60 - 64 as a pure bat and 47-51 as a keeper bat. If it is the first, he is the greatest since Sobers. If it is the latter he is the greatest keeper bat ever. Obviously various people can have various guesses. That is why it is pretty difficult to rate him either as a batsman or a keeper bat.