• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara- rank him

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah but he still couldn't make himself part of a matchwinning performance like Dravid did. Bad or good umpiring decision.

Also iirc SL were about a 100 still adrift, with one wicket there was perhaps 5% chance of SL winning that match.
Dravid wouldn't have done it either without Laxman sticking beside him in the first innings, or without Agarkar taking 6 in Australia's 2nd.

I'd have backed Sangakkara to make those 100 runs, easily, with a bit of help from the tail.

bagapath

International Captain
Lol you can't say Bagapath is wrong mate.
why do you say that mate? i could make, and have made, some really stupid mistakes. but i am right this time. if i have to take a number three with me for an overseas tour i will take rahul dravid over sangakkara any day, except to sri lanka. rahul is a better bet everywhere else.

bagapath

International Captain
and by the way, in case i wasnt clear about this so far, i do believe sanga is an absolute champ. love his batting big time. just that i don't think he belongs in the category some guys want to slot him in. he is not ready for that leap yet, in my opinion. scoring hundreds in england and south africa and west indies is very important for any batsman worth his salt. otherwise, he is a terrific test batsman. a match winner. and the biggest thorn in the flesh for any team playing SL in SL.

Sir Alex

Banned
why do you say that mate? i could make, and have made, some really stupid mistakes. but i am right this time. if i have to take a number three with me for an overseas tour i will take rahul dravid over sangakkara any day, except to sri lanka. rahul is a better bet everywhere else.
No I literally meant that. Wasn't a dig at you. You were indeed right in calling out he was wrong.

It's not as if Dravid did that by himself, Laxman played a huge part in that Adelaide win in both innings.

Sangakkara played pretty much a lone hand at Hobart and could possibly have won the Test had Kirtzen not given him out - the Aussie bowlers certainly wouldn't have gotten him.
Not that it matters but I think Sanga gor a reprieve when his score was 50-60..don't remember exactly though..an lbw decision...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lol you can't say Bagapath is wrong mate.

I do agree Dravid and Sanga, as batsmen are on almost even plane now. If Sanga churns out an Adelaide 2003, I'd readily place him above Dravid.
Hmm, what about his innings down in Hobart? Probably against a better attack, too.

EDIT: Ah, already mentioned.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The reason more people are picking Dravid or Sangakkara is not because there is some deficiency in Sangakkara's batting, its because Dravid has acheived more and he has acheived more because he has played more. Let Sangakkara play over 100 matches given his quality, his acheivements should rival those of Dravid's and then you will see more people picking Sangakkara.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
The reason more people are picking Dravid or Sangakkara is not because there is some deficiency in Sangakkara's batting, its because Dravid has acheived more and he has acheived more because he has played more. Let Sangakkara play over 100 matches given his quality, his acheivements should rival those of Dravid's and then you will see more people picking Sangakkara.
This. It's almost uncanny how Black Warrior makes me shut up by posting what am about to post...

Good for the forum atmosphere I guess :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Kumar Sangakkara- rank him. . .

Best batsman-keeper produced by Sri Lanka in the last 15 years :sleep:

Last edited: