• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara- rank him

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In fairness to him, those tours were as a keeper-batsman.

That said I do wonder if the relatively low number of Tests played by SL actually benefit him.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He mainly needs to rectify his record in England, an average of about 40 in SA is not bad. It's also surprising that he only averages 36.50 in India for someone who thrives on subcontinent wickets.

It's also hard to do a proper comparison of his numbers with his counterparts.. Tendulkar and Dravid play about 44% of their Tests at home, Ponting plays about 54% at home, Lara exactly 50% and Sangakkara plays 57% of his matches at home.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He mainly needs to rectify his record in England, an average of about 40 in SA is not bad. It's also surprising that he only averages 36.50 in India for someone who thrives on subcontinent wickets.
It's never easy taking on the #1 team on their own turf :cool:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Thats something I truly find mind boggling. Last year when SL toured India, those were some pretty flat pitches and while the Sehwags and Gambhirs were piling on the runs...Sangakkara's failure was inexplicable.. His value went down quite a lot in my books after that series.

Migara

International Coach
Wrong. he toured SAF twice.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Wrong again. Dravid averages 55 away. Sanga averages 50.

Listen, mate. Sanga is good. But not that good yet. no batsman who averages under 40 in four countries can be bunched with the very best of his generation. sanga has to pull his average over 40 in england, india, south africa and west indies. then we can have this conversation once again.
Wrong again. Sanga averages better on more countries than Dravid. Put that in to a similar number of tests, Sanaga will average more. Against SAF the average is nearly 40 (that also in his early career). And it comes to 3 vs 2 countries where he averages less than 40. (Dravid in SAF and SL).

Migara

International Coach
Thats something I truly find mind boggling. Last year when SL toured India, those were some pretty flat pitches and while the Sehwags and Gambhirs were piling on the runs...Sangakkara's failure was inexplicable.. His value went down quite a lot in my books after that series.
Haven't you noticed the same trend with Dravid in SL?

When Sanga finishes his career he will go down as an ATG in my books.Whether he averages 5 in England or whether he averages 20 in day 5 of all matches involving Mithun and Dinda is irrelevant.I have seen him bat and he is really good.Stats can go to hell.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Wrong again. Sanga averages better on more countries than Dravid. Put that in to a similar number of tests, Sanaga will average more. Against SAF the average is nearly 40 (that also in his early career). And it comes to 3 vs 2 countries where he averages less than 40. (Dravid in SAF and SL).
Lol you can't say Bagapath is wrong mate.

I do agree Dravid and Sanga, as batsmen are on almost even plane now. If Sanga churns out an Adelaide 2003, I'd readily place him above Dravid.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't you noticed the same trend with Dravid in SL?
Yeah I am not familiar with it. Is he really poor in Sri Lanka?

Look I am no Sanga hater. I think he is a very talented player.. We all know India is not the greatest bowling side in the world. He should do well in India.

Sir Alex

Banned

It's also hard to do a proper comparison of his numbers with his counterparts.. Tendulkar and Dravid play about 44% of their Tests at home, Ponting plays about 54% at home, Lara exactly 50% and Sangakkara plays 57% of his matches at home.
Yep agreed.

Tendulkar has already played more AWAY tests than what Sanga has managed to both home and away eg.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wouldn't be surprised if the day Tendulkar eventually dies (what a sad day it'll be) it'll actually be revealed that he is a cyborg.

The amount of cricket he's played, and at such a high level too, added on to the fact he's such a modest man makes him inhuman. Surely he's a Terminator or something.

Sir Alex

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if the day Tendulkar eventually dies (what a sad day it'll be) it'll actually be revealed that he is a cyborg.

The amount of cricket he's played, and at such a high level too, added on to the fact he's such a modest man makes him inhuman. Surely he's a Terminator or something.
:laugh: Expecting benchmark00 to compose an image based on that theme.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lol you can't say Bagapath is wrong mate.

I do agree Dravid and Sanga, as batsmen are on almost even plane now. If Sanga churns out an Adelaide 2003, I'd readily place him above Dravid.
He could have done it at Hobart in 2007 if Rudi hadn't decided to saw him off. One of the worst decisions I've ever seen, that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agreed, but still it remains undone...
It's not as if Dravid did that by himself, Laxman played a huge part in that Adelaide win in both innings.

Sangakkara played pretty much a lone hand at Hobart and could possibly have won the Test had Kirtzen not given him out - the Aussie bowlers certainly wouldn't have gotten him.

Sir Alex

Banned
It's not as if Dravid did that by himself, Laxman played a huge part in that Adelaide win in both innings.

Sangakkara played pretty much a lone hand at Hobart and could possibly have won the Test had Kirtzen not given him out - the Aussie bowlers certainly wouldn't have gotten him.
Yeah but he still couldn't make himself part of a matchwinning performance like Dravid did. Bad or good umpiring decision.

Also iirc SL were about a 100 still adrift, with one wicket there was perhaps 5% chance of SL winning that match.