• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Klusenar Vs Dhoni

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
nah he wasnt

he was visibly struggling against spin, wrist spin in particular and his strike rotation wasnt up to snuff for the middle overs of that time. the mcg odi showed why, Kohli had negotiated a tough powerplay and conditions upfront and was trying to play his usual accumulator style but Dhoni kept eating up dot balls instead of playing tango with Kohli which ended up with Kohli getting out in a frustrated manner. reason why it didnt blow up was because it was Dhoni and because he ended up winning the match. a similar thing happened in another match i cant recall, Kohli tried to rotate strike initially but realising Dhoni wasnt doing it then went for 4s and slogs and ended up losing his wicket by attempting a 6
Dhoni was regularly playing knocks of 30-40 not out with a seemingly good strike rate because he was able to summon his hitting ability after he got his eye in. It just seemed farcical because it mostly happened too late in the game. He could have easily done the same thing if he had come higher up and put the team in good positions. But he hid down the order where either he didn't have much left to do or game was gone due to "fault of others".

We went through a period of 4 years (between world cups) searching for a #4. All the muppets we tried weren't half as good as Dhoni could have been in that position. Not putting his hand up for that was dereliction of duty.

I don't recall games you mention but I recall being frustrated at such a master batsman hiding down the order.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Dhoni was regularly playing knocks of 30-40 not out with a seemingly good strike rate because he was able to summon his hitting ability after he got his eye in. It just seemed farcical because it mostly happened too late in the game. He could have easily done the same thing if he had come higher up and put the team in good positions. But he hid down the order where either he didn't have much left to do or game was gone due to "fault of others".

We went through a period of 4 years (between world cups) searching for a #4. All the muppets we tried weren't half as good as Dhoni could have been in that position. Not putting his hand up for that was dereliction of duty.

I don't recall games you mention but I recall being frustrated at such a master batsman hiding down the order.
honestly? Dhoni’s strike rate wasnt good at all from 2016-2019, its around 81-82. apply a 10 innings cutoff and that ranks over 50 for middle order batsmen. its below par compared to the average batsman in the same time period, his value lied in his average being high

he really wouldnt have done a whole lot better batting higher up imo. i was one of those that believed in the same until i saw those matches where he was struggling to rotate strike while Kohli was getting visibly frustrated. couple that with his struggle against leg spin against which he struck at 54.5 who used to bowl predominantly in the middle overs and its tough to see him doing well at 4 where batsmen navigate the middle overs and face up against spin very frequently

just checked his strike rate against off spin and sla and its 64.5 too

Iyer was the poor dude who got scrapped too early, had a good debut series and then after 2 innings where he didnt replicate it in a new position he wasnt picked again until after the wc