• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Keith Miller v Sir Garry Sobers

Who was better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
According to cricket history? 8-)
History that speaks very highly of Sobers bowling and that includes, those who played with him, against him, watched him and covered him as sportsmen.

Your rolleyes suggest that you do not have much regard for it and I am not surprised at the "intellectual dishonesty" here.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
My friend, again, we've split his career in 3, done some stuff his fans wanted to make it look better but in the end, he was an average bowler even if you ignore his initial years..
Really can't see how this is possible.

This is like ignoring Ricky Ponting's batting record in the 90s because he only starting coming into his own post 2000.
Well yes, because before Trent Bridge 2001 when he was nowhere near the same batsman back in the 90s.

Why do you ignore his earlier phase anyway? Because he didn't bowl enough? He bowled plenty, he bowled about 25 overs a test IIRC.
Because he was nowhere near good a bowler as he was from 60/61 to 68/69 again it is called the peak period in which all great players remember for & judged by..

If anything, what we're being asked to ignore is the real picking and choosing.
No. We are judging the players at their peaks.

Do you hear Warne fans say completely ignore the period where he was injured/unfit and only look at the periods where he was good? Warne couldn't bowl a flipper and was still taking wickets like it was nothing, then what would you call that effort?.
One is one of the few players in history i would think that was excellent for almost his entire career in his art.

But the only way i would ignore Warne's injury/unfit period of IND 98 to IND 01 is when people fail to acknowledge this period when judging him & claim he was a novice againts top-players of Spin given his performances vs in IND & WI during that time.

Imran Khan only really became an all-rounder whose batting was reliable towards the end of his career, do we ignore the parts where he wasn't any good? And the problem is, what people are asking to omit is actually the lion's share of his career, it is more than 2/3rds of it.
Yes, because again you are judging him at the height of his powers where he was remembered as a great all-rounder. Pretty simple dawg..

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Which intangibles are we talking about here? Harmison averages less, strikes almost 6 overs earlier per wicket and this despite the fact that this era is routinely touted as one where batsmen are advantaged. This is what I mean when I say some things are beyond reasonable argument. The difference between the players is too large.
And you are the one who talks about "Intellectual Dishonesty" in my arguments (despite the fact that I fully am aware of the flaw and using it only to show stats can be misused and misled). So there are no intangibles apart from "Average", "Strike Rate" ?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
History that speaks very highly of Sobers bowling and that includes, those who played with him, against him, watched him and covered him as sportsmen.

Your rolleyes suggest that you do not have much regard for it and I am not surprised.
No, my rolleyes alludes to the fact that if I was so convinced by cricketing history that I wouldn't be in this argument to begin with.

I have enormous respect for those who have played the game, those that have watched the game and those who have been involved in one way or another through years. However, there is only so much respect I am willing to give when reality is pointing to something else. There is as much danger as putting too much faith in stats as there is in putting too much faith in "cricketing history". Ultimately, one has to balance what one has read and seen to what actually was.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And you are the one who talks about "Intellectual Dishonesty" in my arguments (despite the fact that I fully am aware of the flaw and using it only to show stats can be misused and misled). So there are no intangibles apart from "Average", "Strike Rate" ?
The fact that you post what you do knowing it is incorrect is the definition of intellectual dishonesty.

There are so many intangibles in cricket that I'd cut straight to you ask which ones do you refer to and what importance do you place on them.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You seem to be missing the point entirely. If what I did is being intellectually dishonest, then what was said about him averaging 27 for 30 tests is also intellectually dishonest. There are no qualifications placed on Sobers, it's just separated by dates - where his own fans asked me to separate him from.
So you are not a fan of Sobers ?

YOU however, are ONLY counting when Imran takes 2 or less wickets. So you are in effect guaranteeing he has poor stats. This is being intellectually dishonest. You are providing some sort of information knowing it is false and misleading.
I didn't know that Imran's stats were so poor where he takes 2 or less wickets. It was a revealing information to me. Besides you are doing the same thing taking the tests out where Sobers didn't perform well enough,statistically - just that the criteria is different

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The fact that you post what you do knowing it is incorrect is the definition of intellectual dishonesty.
I already said, I just picked the criteria - to know how it looked like and to my surprise, it was crap. So I posted to show how stats can be manipulated.

There are so many intangibles in cricket that I'd cut straight to you ask which ones do you refer to and what importance do you place on them.
Depends, there is no fixed answer to this. Besides let me ask you this ; Do you always take Stats at the face value and if the stats are better the bowler is better ?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Really can't see how this is possible.
Ignoring his initial years and taking into account the rest of his career, once he was a 'real' all-rounder:

Do you see a huge difference between his overall and filtered figures? I don't.

Well yes, because before Trent Bridge 2001 when he was nowhere near the same batsman back in the 90s.
Really? Ponting averages about 67 from that moment on. So in actuality, Ponting should be given the acclaim he would get had he gotten that in his overall career?

Because he was nowhere near good a bowler as he was from 60/61 to 68/69 again it is called the peak period in which all great players remember for & judged by..
That may be what you judge a player by, solely by their peaks. But, I can speak for myself and many others that we judge a cricket on their whole career. Peaks are usually short and do not last long. When in the peak of a cricketer their average is 27 and the rest of their career is 40, I think it is quite misleading to judge a cricketer solely on 5-6 series of cricket in a career of 20+ series. But that's me.

No. We are judging the players at their peaks.
A lot of people aren't, and if they are they haven't been doing as such in other comparisons.

And in reality, what would you call Miller's form where for about half his career he was averaging 45 with the bat and 22 with the ball? Or Imran's 50+ with the bat and 19 with the ball? At least Imran's certainly is more impressive than Sobers'. And at the LEAST it should be recognised as close - if judged solely by peaks. But it isn't and what is worse is that the #1 is undisputed.

One is one of the few players in history i would think that was excellent for almost his entire career in his art.

But the only way i would ignore Warne's injury/unfit period of IND 98 to IND 01 is when people fail to acknowledge this period when judging him & claim he was a novice againts top-players of Spin given his performances vs in IND & WI during that time.
That's great. What if Warne had no problem and this period was 2/3rds of his career?

Yes, because again you are judging him at the height of his powers where he was remembered as a great all-rounder. Pretty simple dawg..
Disagree. There is no use judging player's simply by their peaks. I am quite sure Wasim Akram never had a peak like Waqar Younis but few would argue that Waqar was better than Wasim. There was also a time where Jeff Thomson was unstoppable, but few would say he is a match for Lillee.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So you are not a fan of Sobers ?
Apparently, not as good as some others here. I am the one who is being lambasted for "belittling" him. I like Sobers as much as someone who wasn't around when he played likes him. But the reason I pointed out his "fans" was to show that his admirers chose the criteria.

I didn't know that Imran's stats were so poor where he takes 2 or less wickets. It was a revealing information to me. Besides you are doing the same thing taking the tests out where Sobers didn't perform well enough,statistically - just that the criteria is different
Really? Pardon, but that's incredibly naive. How could you not know that by limiting Imran to only 2 wickets per test his record would not suffer? As I showed you in a previous post, if you count only innings where Bradman scored 30 or less runs (thus limiting him) he averages 12 over 29 of his 52 tests. Of course, this is intellectually dishonest.

It's a totally different thing altogether. I have not put any criteria. It's simply "the rest of his career". Untouched and unmodified.

Depends, there is no fixed answer to this. Besides let me ask you this ; Do you always take Stats at the face value and if the stats are better the bowler is better ?
Exactly, there is no fixed answer to intangibles. This is precisely the kind of thing I was looking for. Intangibles that are not there in the stats and cannot be thought up even with reasonable logic because it requires extrinsic evidence. I am interested in this kind of argument so I can at least appreciate what others are saying, even if I still do not agree with it.

And no, I never take stats at face value. Especially when there is so little difference. But where there is a real sizable gap, I won't turn a blind eye to them. You can't ignore certain figures.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No, my rolleyes alludes to the fact that if I was so convinced by cricketing history that I wouldn't be in this argument to begin with.
Cricket History isn't a small piece of paper, it is hard to not take it seriously when it unequivocally supports Sobers' greatness as a bowler.

Show me a piece of history which talks about Sobers being an average, mediocre bowler.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket History isn't a small piece of paper, it is hard to not take it seriously when it unequivocally supports Sobers' greatness as a bowler.

Show me a piece of history which talks about Sobers being an average, mediocre bowler.
That's precisely the reason why I am very willing to change my stance and willing to accept intangible things that will not be apparent to me. However, I do need a high standard of proof to sway me. Something that cannot be easily challenged.

I have no problem with disagreeing with the populous. What doesn't make sense to me doesn't make sense to me. I am striving to see what the fuss is about and until now it is hasn't really swayed me at all to be honest.

Now, I should tell you, I used to think Sobers wasn't average...I thought he was pitiful a while ago until I learned more about the era and the averages of his time and himself and I changed my opinion greatly. But to the point where I will consider him the greatest all-rounder? I am not there.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly, there is no fixed answer to intangibles. This is precisely the kind of thing I was looking for. Intangibles that are not their in the stats and cannot be thought up even with reasonable logic because it requires extrinsic evidence. I am interested in this kind of argument so I can at least appreciate what others are saying, even if I still do not agree with it.

And no, I never take stats at face value. Especially when there is so little difference. But where there is a real sizable gap, I won't turn a blind eye to them. You can't ignore certain figures.
So why look at the stats @ Face value in Sobers Vs. Harmison's case and decide that Harmi is such a better bowler that its not even an apt comparison.

Yet you go on and on about talking about the intangibles in Warne Vs. anyone else.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So why look at the stats @ Face value in Sobers Vs. Harmison's case and decide that Harmi is such a better bowler that its not even an apt comparison.

Yet you go on and on about talking about the intangibles in Warne Vs. anyone else.
You missed this part of the post it seems:

But where there is a real sizable gap, I won't turn a blind eye to them. You can't ignore certain figures.

So, to me, there is a sizable gap and it is ignorant to turn a blind eye to them.

Whereas with Warne, at best the difference is a few runs on average.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Really? Pardon, but that's incredibly naive. How could you not know that by limiting Imran to only 2 wickets per test his record would not suffer? As I showed you in a previous post, if you count only innings where Bradman scored 30 or less runs (thus limiting him) he averages 12 over 29 of his 52 tests. Of course, this is intellectually dishonest.
The difference is, Bradman didn't stay on the wicket to score those runs, he was out and back into the pavilion. Whereas Imran was still in the middle bowling overs after over, getting opportunities after opportunities to take wickets, but didn't get them.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The difference is, Bradman didn't stay on the wicket to score those runs, he was out and back into the pavilion. Whereas Imran was still in the middle bowling overs after over, getting opportunities after opportunities to take wickets, but didn't get them.
No, it's slightly different but just as bad. You included only matches where he took 2 or less wickets. Someone else can take 2 wickets and have a good average because that is all they are expected to get. But Imran is going to bowl a long haul regardless - he doesn't know how much he is going to average at the end of the day, he is only going to keep bowling.

So only two scenarios will happen, when he only does poorly taking 2 or less and having bowled out the rest of his overs. Or matches where other bowlers bowled the opposition out cheaply and Imran took 2 or less and stopped bowling. The latter situation is probably not going to occur as much as the first.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You missed this part of the post it seems:

But where there is a real sizable gap, I won't turn a blind eye to them. You can't ignore certain figures.

I didn't miss it - There is no sizable Gap in their averages.

So, to me, there is a sizable gap and it is ignorant to turn a blind eye to them.
There we go again, so you define the criteria again according to what(or rather who) you want to argue in favor of

Whereas with Warne, at best the difference is a few runs on average.
And the difference between Harmison and Sobers' average is 100 runs ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So only two scenarios will happen, when he only does poorly taking 2 or less and having bowled out the rest of his overs. Or matches where other bowlers bowled the opposition out cheaply and Imran took 2 or less and stopped bowling. The latter situation is probably not going to occur as much as the first.
Or may be Imran bowled as much as he did in other tests, just that the outcome wasn't as favorable.

That is the problem with you - You always mention the scenarios that suit your argument and reject the possibility of everything else.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't miss it - There is no sizable Gap in their averages.
Oh, but there is a huge one in their strike rates. Again, in another era Harmison would probably be averaging slightly under 30.

There we go again, so you define the criteria again according to what(or rather who) you want to argue in favor of

And the difference between Harmison and Sobers' average is 100 runs ?
Example:

Player A: Average 30, SR 50
Player B: Average 30, SR 84

Of course, the real difference is:

Harmison: Average 31, SR 58
Sobers: Average 34, SR 92

To me, that's quite a glaring difference. If not to you, then it's no wonder that we won't agree.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Or may be Imran bowled as much as he did in other tests, just that the outcome wasn't as favorable.
Of course, that's a given.

That is the problem with you - You always mention the scenarios that suit your argument and reject the possibility of everything else.
No, the problem is you seem to miss the bigger picture. We are trying to reason out WHY someone like Imran can have such terrible figures over 67 test matches, was it? He wouldn't be the bowler he is if he was routinely poor, would he? So it's attributed to the scenarios I mentioned moreso than anything else.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No, the problem is you seem to miss the bigger picture. We are trying to reason out WHY someone like Imran can have such terrible figures over 67 test matches, was it? He wouldn't be the bowler he is if he was routinely poor, would he? So it's attributed to the scenarios I mentioned moreso than anything else.
And Sobers wouldn't be the bowler and bowling 21599 deliveries if he was as crap as you are making out to be. So please do not talk about 'Bigger Picture' and seek out the reasons when your statsguru facts are macking a mockery of your arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.