• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil Dev vs Ryan Harris

Who was the better bowler?(Tests)

• Kapil Dev

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Ryan Harris

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters

sunilz

International Regular
Marshall (3 votes) received less votes than Kapil (5 votes ) when Wisden was selecting 5 players of last century. Even if you assume all the 5 votes of Kapil were from Indian , there were 90 non- Indian electorate in that polling committee. Doesn't this mean, Marshall had no peer reputation? To get 3 votes from 100 electorate is extremely damaging for a player of his calibre.

Similarly Marshall even didn't make shortlist of Richie Benaud's all time XI. This again proves that Marshall didn't have high peer reputation.

This is why I don't take peer reputation parameter seriously.

Attachments

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Isn't that what peer ratings are about. What are the thoughest tthey have bowled to or faced against.

If Martin Crowe is the hardest Akram has bowled to, then should that not mean that he is better than a batsman of similar records but never troubled bolwers of Akram calibre?
It is a fair point as long as the analysis is restricted to the one or two series the batsman did well against the bowler. What happens is, people(mostly fans) extrapolate that and sometimes over-rate the batsman involved there, over their full career, because one bowler felt so. And I am not even saying Crowe wasn't special. Same goes for batsmen commenting about bowlers.

Here is the video of the discussion between Akram and the panel. On a side note, it is hilarious to hear him mention " Even Mark Waugh made runs against me" :laugh: