• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil Dev vs Ryan Harris

Who was the better bowler?(Tests)

• Kapil Dev

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Ryan Harris

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters

Shri

Mr. Glass
haven't the windies always been **** against spin except for lara and another one or two names?

in sobers time i guess they would have been great players of pace bowling and meh against spin

subshakerz

International Coach
Sobers rated Subhash Gupte better than Warne.
Slated during commentary in 03/04 told that he found Srinath to be the most difficult bowler because he always used to get him out .
Tendulkar rated Cronje to be one of the most difficult bowlers to face ?
Players opinion are unscientific way to rate players.
Players opinions of their opponents are an important factor to consider.

Sobers never played Warne.

Slater I know for a fact rated Akram the best he faced when asked in an interview.

Tendulkar never said Cronje was the best bowler but that he found him unusually difficult. In an interview with Gavaskar, he gave McGraths name as the best while Gavaskar said Holding.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Players ratings of who they found most difficult to face are one of many factors in assessing cricketers.
Player ratings more often than not throws up weird opinions. Sobers, when he mentioned Gupte to be the best he has seen, is unlikely to have witnessed him against countries other than WI. He also rated Gavaskar as the best batsman he has seen, but that has to do with how he performed against WI. I am sure Sir Garry has not witnessed Gavaskar against Eng or NZ, where he was below par. Wasim Akram once rated Crowe as the best he has bowled to, which is once again driven by how Crowe has performed in one or two series against him, or the 1992 WC.

sunilz

International Regular
Listen to Amla's comments about Asif, he gives compelling reasons for why he rates him so highly. It would be foolish to not factor in such opinions in how we rate players along with their records

That still won't make Asif better than Shoaib.
Asif average in Aus and Pak is enough to suggest he would struggled massively on flat track.
And please don't bring his rain affected SCG spell to big up.
I saw how Asif was manhandled by Dhoni on 2006 tour to Pak ( ODI). Guy was a green track bully like Bond.

subshakerz

International Coach
Player ratings more often than not throws up weird opinions. Sobers, when he mentioned Gupte to be the best he has seen, is unlikely to have witnessed him against countries other than WI. He also rated Gavaskar as the best batsman he has seen, but that has to do with how he performed against WI. I am sure Sir Garry has not witnessed Gavaskar against Eng or NZ, where he was below par. Wasim Akram once rated Crowe as the best he has bowled to, which is once again driven by how Crowe has performed in one or two series against him, or the 1992 WC.
Sure I am not saying players opinions are gospel but I don't ignore them entirely either.

If a players of Sobers' class found Gupte hard to face that definitely goes to Gupte's credit and should enhance his reputation. Similar with Akram and Crowe.

If a majority of players found one batsman or bowler they faced ahead of the rest that will definitely reflect in how I assess them.

Of course there are also outliers such as Sachin with Cronje too.

subshakerz

International Coach
That still won't make Asif better than Shoaib.
Asif average in Aus and Pak is enough to suggest he would struggled massively on flat track.
And please don't bring his rain affected SCG spell to big up.
I saw how Asif was manhandled by Dhoni on 2006 tour to Pak ( ODI). Guy was a green track bully like Bond.
I rate Shoaib ahead of Asif too but players opinions help you appreciate the skills of the bowlers beyond just the numbers.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Isn't that what peer ratings are about. What are the thoughest tthey have bowled to or faced against.

If Martin Crowe is the hardest Akram has bowled to, then should that not mean that he is better than a batsman of similar records but never troubled bolwers of Akram calibre?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Players' rating of opposition isn't meaningless but it's pretty spurious. It's often biased af, based on specific experiences (obviously) or age/era. Old players often try to big up their own era. Also it's not even always what they actually think. It could just be what they're saying. These days you have Aussie cricketers like Watson or Lee being interviewed and when asked who is the best at something always name an Indian because they know what will serve them in the long run

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we go by players' opinions then Lillee > Hadlee and maybe Marshall too, something not many here would agree with.