• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson vs Joe Root

Better test batsman?

• Total voters

Xix2565

International Regular
Cook has to take some credit for being a leading character in those two great series victories. Australia was admittedly very flat except Perth but he still had to plunder the runs, and he scored big runs on some very spin-friendly wickets in India 2012
I don't get why some batters get pushed up as Main Characters for beating up weak bowling attacks. Can someone explain?

BazBall21

International Captain
Both teams still crossed 300 quite often.
They weren't absolute bunsens but those were very good knocks. Mumbai was a fast turner and the batting for both teams fell apart outside him and KP. Look at the scores outside those two in innings 2 and 3. Ahmedabad was a titan backs to the wall effort after England collapsed in the previous innings. Kolkata 190 was the only hundred in the match which paved the way for the clinching England victory after India only managed 316 batting first.

Brilliant stuff.

Xix2565

International Regular
Largely because Cook and Pujara did great
They weren't absolute bunsens but those were very good knocks. Mumbai was a fast turner and the batting for both teams fell apart outside him and KP. Look at the scores outside those two in innings 2 and 3. Ahmedabad was a titan backs to the wall effort after England collapsed in the previous innings. Kolkata 190 was the only hundred in the match which paved the way for the clinching England victory after India only managed 316 batting first.

Brilliant stuff.
Against weak attacks.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't like when runs in series with weak attacks/ flat pitches are written off entirely. If you're just averaging 50 odd in those series yes it doesn't mean much. But putting up monster scores in conditions like that is what you need to win games.

You should discount them ,but shouldn't dis-count them entirely, you hear?

BazBall21

International Captain
I don't like when runs in series with weak attacks/ flat pitches are written off entirely. If you're just averaging 50 odd in those series yes it doesn't mean much. But putting up monster scores in conditions like that is what you need to win games.

You should discount them ,but shouldn't dis-count them entirely, you hear?
Ability to consistently set games up in good batting conditions is valuable in test cricket. Kane and Cook both certainly have/had that.

Johan

State 12th Man
a Statistic to add in, Williamson and Root have played 16 matches together (I don't view NZ and Eng as different levels as cricketing sides), 7 of them in England and 9 in Newzealand.

Root has 1513 runs in 30 innings, Eight Half centuries and four centuries with the average of 56.03 and strike rate of 54.34 with 226 as highest
Kane has 995 runs in 29 innings, Four half centuries and four centuries with the average of 36.85 and strike rate of 42.05 with 132 as highest

say, Yikes.

Last edited:

BazBall21

International Captain
I think Williamson will struggle in India but should do well at home v an England attack in transition.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Williamson is a very good player but too much stat padding to take that seriously, cf the SA C team that he battered earlier this year. Nothing wrong with scoring those runs, but in this instance they help hide less than flattering performances away from home.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Regular
This year kinda sums up Williamson's Test Career ..

South Africa C at home : "Oooh Minnow yummy" 3 hundreds in 4 innings @134

Australia at home : "Oh **** good bowling attack !"
77 runs in 4 innings @19

Sri Lanka away : "Damn I hate Galle"
138 runs in 4 innings @34

India will be the same as Australia, then he'll probably feast on England's inexperienced attack at home and some will look at his overall test average and proclaim him best in the world