• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson vs Joe Root

Better test batsman?

• Total voters

Majestic

U19 Captain
Would have most guys in your first list ahead of Kane, but he's better than Sehwag.

And he's better than the three batsmen in the next list.
Sehwag is a naturally aggressive opening batsman who has great record in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Australia. All these sides have pretty good bowlers and he dominated them. Williamson being a no.3 is expected to do better, he has simply been poor away from home. Sehwag by nature is a different breed, an aggressive opener from Asia and not very likely to do well in SEN.

Yes, I said the same.

Last edited:

Majestic

U19 Captain
There is no excuse for Williamson's consistent failures away from home vs good opponents.

Bashing Windies or Pakistan don't make you great player.

Majestic

U19 Captain
Cook has won test series in Australia and India with some 700 runs in a series.

I try to dream that Williamson will win a test series in those two countries but it doesn't happen even in dreams. And Cook was an opener in England conditions as well

Coronis

International Coach
Cook has won test series in Australia and India with some 700 runs in a series.

I try to dream that Williamson will win a test series in those two countries but it doesn't happen even in dreams. And Cook was an opener in England conditions as well
Yeah because current NZ is as good as Cook’s England right? And current India and Australia are only as good as the teams Cook beat?

BazBall21

International Captain
I'm not a fan of using team achievements to prop individuals up, but Cook has to take some credit for being a leading character in those two great series victories. Australia was admittedly very flat except Perth but he still had to plunder the runs, and he scored big runs on some very spin-friendly wickets in India 2012. Did well v Murali in SL too.

Anywhere in the subcontinent (Pakistan or SL in particular) would be Cook's ideal home conditions. Much better player of spin than seam and had the temperament to grind big hundreds on slow wickets.

Last edited:

BazBall21

International Captain
He's obviously better than Sehwag but their away records are suspiciously not very dissimilar
Kane's away record is underwhelming but there's still a slight superiority in versatility there. Successful tour of UAE came in some testing conditions.

Sehwag though is even better in Asia than Kane in NZ because of the raw destructive factor.

BazBall21

International Captain
Sehwag is a naturally aggressive opening batsman who has great record in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Australia. All these sides have pretty good bowlers and he dominated them. Williamson being a no.3 is expected to do better, he has simply been poor away from home. Sehwag by nature is a different breed, an aggressive opener from Asia and not very likely to do well in SEN.

Yes, I said the same.
He faced relatively mild Australian attacks in Australia. Could he do the same against the attack Kane faced in 2019? Obviously beasts Kane in Asia but I think Kane edges it overall.

Majestic

U19 Captain
Yeah because current NZ is as good as Cook’s England right? And current India and Australia are only as good as the teams Cook beat?
Cook was standout performer and played such a key role, he certainly deserves all the credit for that. In 2015, when Williamson toured Australia, there was no Cummins and Johnson had retired, why couldn't Williamson win his team then?

I would be happy to rate Williamson higher but he has to perform and dominate in atleast one of the top country FGS! He has not done that yet.

BazBall21

International Captain
Johnson hadn't retired but was past his best. Don't think you can say Kane could have won his team that series though. They didn't have the bowling or batting.

Cook does deserve credit for playing a leading role in two great series victories, especially the India tour which is his magnum opus in my view.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook was standout performer and played such a key role, he certainly deserves all the credit for that. In 2015, when Williamson toured Australia, there was no Cummins and Johnson had retired, why couldn't Williamson win his team then?
He made two very good hundreds on that tour. Not sure he could've done much more

BazBall21

International Captain
He made two very good hundreds on that tour. Not sure he could've done much more
Yeah. New Zealand simply didn't have the team. Brisbane 2015 is up there with his best. Kane hasn't done much else against better Australia attacks, but Cook himself only had one good Ashes series.

Coronis

International Coach

I would be happy to rate Williamson higher but he has to perform and dominate in atleast one of the top country FGS! He has not done that yet.
Are you ****ing kidding me mate? Bradman couldn’t have won that series for NZ when their best bowler averaged 37 and their other 3 bowlers that played all 3 tests all averaged above 50.

Majestic

U19 Captain
Are you ****ing kidding me mate? Bradman couldn’t have won that series for NZ when their best bowler averaged 37 and their other 3 bowlers that played all 3 tests all averaged above 50.
And Australia's bowling attack didn't had Pat Cummins also by the way. Am I ****ing kidding if I am expecting a player to not be considered great if he barely average 32 vs top 4-5 nations away from home?

BazBall21

International Captain
I don't think Kane not winning a series in Australia and India should be held against him, but Cook does deserve credits for playing a main character role in England's victories there. Especially the India series given he scored hundreds on some very spin friendly tracks in a closer series. He's better than KW in Asia.

Last edited: