• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis Vs Sobers

The better allrounder?

• Total voters

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Except you should note that failing against a minnow is a...failure. Hence it shouldn't be disregarded. When comparing players, we want to see why they are the best. You expect players of the caliber of Tendulkar, Kallis, Hammond to beat up minnows. You don't expect them to lose out to minnows. It's as big, if not bigger, stain failing against a minnow than one of the best teams of your time. And it's not like Sobers didn't play enough against them.
What you're saying there is fair enough mate, but I think LT's point is that IF we're going to remove performances against "minnows" (and whether we should or not is another question) then we should remove all of them, not just the ones that suit our argument.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What you're saying there is fair enough mate, but I think LT's point is that IF we're going to remove "minnows" (and whether we should or not is another question) then we should remove all of them, not just the ones that suit our argument.
But his point is myopic. Success against minnows does not matter as much (notice I didn't say "doesn't matter at all"), because the inherent argument is that they weren't good enough to challenge him. But failure against them - over 12 tests - is very relevant. It has nothing to do with suiting an argument IMO, it has to do with getting to the truth.

It would seem intellectually dishonest to argue that failure against minnows doesn't matter but success should.

In fact, if one were to remove all 3 it would still hurt Sobers' career figures. If that was all the intention one had then it's fine. But there is no reason to disregard his failures against minnows.

On the whole, his record is still up with the best there has ever been IMO. Personally, I think every batsman has that kind of record against one opponent. Every batsman has played some minnow too and depending on how many and how often we should acknowledge it. I don't think it's a very strong argument to count England, Australia and New Zealand but disregard the others, though. He was still the best batsman of his era and everybody else played them too. It's only when you compare cross-era that it gets iffy.

Sobers averaged 57 overall, but if you do compare him with others I think it's fair to realize that it probably does flatter him a bit. I mean, imagine if Lara had a career, and the sides he played against were: Australia, S.Africa, Zimbabwe A, Zimbabwe B, Zimbabwe C. Even if you think they were better than Zimbabwe, IMO they weren't really significantly different and it shows that a greater proportion of matches were played against much weaker opponents.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we're talking a crossed-purposes here Ikki because I don't disagree with a single thing you've said! :p

All I was getting at was the ben91/LT exchange - ben91 had gone down the exclude-minnows-to-make-a-player-look-worse route and taken out Sobers stats against India and Pakistan, but had conveniently left in his record against NZ. What I was saying - and what I think LT was getting at - is that you either include all three or exclude all three, rather than picking and choosing what stats to dismiss to suit the argument.

I wouldn't necessarily disregard failures against minnows, particularly with a decent size sample. I'd just ask for consistency of thinking with the number-crunching, which I don't think ben was providing. :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think we're talking a crossed-purposes here Ikki because I don't disagree with a single thing you've said! :p

All I was getting at was the ben91/LT exchange - ben91 had gone down the exclude-minnows-to-make-a-player-look-worse route and taken out Sobers stats against India and Pakistan, but had conveniently left in his record against NZ. What I was saying - and what I think LT was getting at - is that you either include all three or exclude all three, rather than picking and choosing what stats to dismiss to suit the argument.

I wouldn't necessarily disregard failures against minnows, particularly with a decent size sample. I'd just ask for consistency of thinking with the number-crunching, which I don't think ben was providing. :)
I agree with your stance, I just objected to LT's potshot at anyone who looks at stats.

Personally, what I would have done is separate the two groups of sides into how Sobers did against minnows and how he did against the best sides. And the result was that he was impressive.

He only faced 5 teams, removing 2 of them is just ... I mean, imagine removing 5 sides from somebody that plays currently. It lacks accuracy; and that should be the intention when you look at stats.

Apologies, I should have been more clearer. Just as with commentary, statistics can be used badly. But for some reason, I get the feeling that some on this site would rather we didn't use them because it hurts their sensibilities.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha no worries, I think we both could have explained what we were getting at a little clearer there!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Except you should note that failing against a minnow is a...failure. Hence it shouldn't be disregarded. When comparing players, we want to see why they are the best. You expect players of the caliber of Tendulkar, Kallis, Hammond to beat up minnows. You don't expect them to lose out to minnows. It's as big, if not bigger, stain failing against a minnow than one of the best teams of your time. And it's not like Sobers didn't play enough against them.
According to your logic, only successes against minnows should not count...Then according to you it should be logical to remove all the innings of a player where he scored more than 40 (say) against a minnow...And all other innings should be considered...No?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
According to your logic, only successes against minnows should not count...Then according to you it should be logical to remove all the innings of a player where he scored more than 40 (say) against a minnow...And all other innings should be considered...No?
I'm not sure I can say a definite yes to that because depending on the player and the context I may not agree.

But in general, when a player plays a greater proportion of his matches against a minnow and his performances against the minnow greatly affect his overall record as a player, than what he would be without those minnows, then a recalibration of thought/or standard is relevant IMO.

Why do you ask? Is there a particular player who you think it would be unfair to apply that logic to?

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
LOL, clicked on this article to read, and one of the first lines:

All stats exclude Tests involving Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

bunny

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Kallis. Take Sobers' stats against Pakistan & India out and he averages 48. Sobers' bowling is massively overrated aswell.

To add to this little Ponting vs Dravid arguement. I've seen Dale Steyn (during his 5-23 spell against India) turn Rahul Dravid inside out with an outswinger which knocked over his off-stump. Great technique, eh?

Ponting oozes with class, wheather his making runs or not, while when Dravid struggles (much like every defensive batsman) he struggles.

I've seen Ponting make runs in difficult conditions, against quality bowling, when the team has been struggling. His 99 on Boxing Day and his 83 last week are prime examples.
You must have also seen what Ishant did to Ponting in Perth. I think isolated deliveries are not good enough to judge technique (and add to the fact the Dravid of today is almost a sitting duck against outswingers).

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure I can say a definite yes to that because depending on the player and the context I may not agree.

But in general, when a player plays a greater proportion of his matches against a minnow and his performances against the minnow greatly affect his overall record as a player, than what he would be without those minnows, then a recalibration of thought/or standard is relevant IMO.

Why do you ask? Is there a particular player who you think it would be unfair to apply that logic to?
Couldn't put into words what I wanted to say...The Sean has expressed it better in post no. 623 in this thread...

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
As much as i hate comparing players across eras (particular movern vs before my time) I voted for Sobers.

Sobers Batting Record >>> his contempories
Kallis Batting Record =< the best of his contempories

As for bowling I find Kallis a bit of a plodder, while hugely impressed at the apparent variety of what Sobers was able to deliver (therefore a bowler for all ocasions/conditions).

Fielding (the forgoten art, the one you spend most time doing): Kallis is no hack, but hardly world beater in this regard; Sober's fielding I've never heard described as anything less than Super.

So there it is, the story of a very good modern player and a Genius all time great

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
You must have also seen what Ishant did to Ponting in Perth. I think isolated deliveries are not good enough to judge technique (and add to the fact the Dravid of today is almost a sitting duck against outswingers).
Are you seriously going to use that as an example to downgrade Ricky Ponting? The fact that Ponting was able to hang in for so long to a spell of bowling like that is a greater testiment to Punter.

bunny

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Are you seriously going to use that as an example to downgrade Ricky Ponting? The fact that Ponting was able to hang in for so long to a spell of bowling like that is a greater testiment to Punter.
I was trying to address a couple of your points a) That Ponting doesn't look to struggle even when he is not in form. In that test, Ponting mas struggling even when in form. b) An isolated incident is not good enough to talk about techniques.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Warney's failure against Bangladesh means something now?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Warney's failure against Bangladesh means something now?
How does averaging 27 and striking at 47 count as failure?

Furthermore, you're once again off the mark as you have clearly not read the thread. Warne has played only 2 test matches against Bangladesh, even had he done poor, I wouldn't count it as anything definitive. Sobers has played 12 tests against New Zealand and averaged 23.76. Away in New Zealand he played 7 tests and averaged 15.10.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ben's method is wrong, if not opportunistic. If you're arguing why X is the best at something, his great record against the worst is hardly impressive. But his failure against the worst is certainly a blot.

EDIT, someone deleted their post? :p

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ben's method is wrong, if not opportunistic. If you're arguing why X is the best at something, his great record against the worst is hardly impressive. But his failure against the worst is certainly a blot.

EDIT, someone deleted their post? :p
I don't actually agree. Their record against the worst is a complete irrelevancy when it comes to Bangladesh in particular. How good a player is=how good they are at helping their team win cricket matches. It's always reasonable to assume that a real team will beat Bangladesh regardless of Warney or Ashwell Prince or Michael Clarke's performance, therefore how they do makes no difference. In the case of Warne, pretty much every first-class side he played in Australia would have been better than Bangladesh. Calling failure against Bangladesh a "blot on his career" is akin to saying "ah, but he never quite got the measure of New South Wales...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't actually agree. Their record against the worst is a complete irrelevancy when it comes to Bangladesh in particular. How good a player is=how good they are at helping their team win cricket matches. It's always reasonable to assume that a real team will beat Bangladesh regardless of Warney or Ashwell Prince or Michael Clarke's performance, therefore how they do makes no difference. In the case of Warne, pretty much every first-class side he played in Australia would have been better than Bangladesh. Calling failure against Bangladesh a "blot on his career" is akin to saying "ah, but he never quite got the measure of New South Wales...
But then, likewise, doing well against the best is all that's required. For if you do well against Australia for example, but fail badly against Sri Lanka and S.Africa, it shouldn't matter by that standard because you already did well against the team that is better than both of them. Then the player that did only well against Australia is just as good as the team that did well all 3 of them. I don't think it works like that.

When you compare the best, they have success against a large range of opponents, so their weaker points are highlighted to compare.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But then, likewise, doing well against the best is all that's required. For if you do well against Australia for example, but fail badly against Sri Lanka and S.Africa, it shouldn't matter by that standard because you already did well against the team that is better than both of them. Then the player that did only well against Australia is just as good as the team that did well all 3 of them. I don't think it works like that.

When you compare the best, they have success against a large range of opponents, so their weaker points are highlighted to compare.
No, that's not true. Noone would suggest that anyone was guaranteed a win regardless of an individual player's performance against Sri Lanka or South Africa. That's the case with Bangladesh, with very few exceptions.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No, that's not true. Noone would suggest that anyone was guaranteed a win regardless of an individual player's performance against Sri Lanka or South Africa. That's the case with Bangladesh, with very few exceptions.
We're not talking about whether a team would win or not if a player did/did not perform. Otherwise, by that standard it would make sense to rubbish lone-wolves like Murali and Hadlee because the sides that played them knew they didn't have to perform well against them for most of the times they played against them, they'd win regardless whether they were at their best.

I might be willing to buy it for a few tests, but not 12. That's just sily IMO.

Bangladesh is slightly different, not only that they're a minnow but not test standard. Whilst New Zealand during Sobers time was weaker, they were nowhere near Bangladesh.

Last edited: