• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

J.P. Duminy Opinions & Predictions

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, they are. Statistics can't tell you all that much about a wicketkeeper, unlike other cricketing skills. Hence, no amount of clueless posturing from someone who thinks the wicketkeeper with the most Test dismissals is the best will make the wicketkeeper with most Test dismissals the best wicketkeeper of all-time.
I will not go as far as grapedo but I do think that you Richard underrate Boucher as a keeper. Mind you he may not be the outright best of all time, his phenomenal number of catches do lend weight to the idea of him bing one of the greatest ever seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think so. Boucher is damn good, make no mistake, but a large number of catches point to a large number of chances, garnered from playing a large number of matches and having bowlers all your career who induced thin nicks. And bowlers of the calibre of Donald, Pollock, Kallis, Klusener, etc. certainly did that.

Statistics can't tell you all that much about a wicketkeeper, unless someone keeps a record of all missed chances and does a missed-chance:taken-chance ratio. That will tell you a hell of a lot. As would something (this'd be even more difficult to notate) that gave you a number of simple fumbles (ie, something that should've been taken cleanly and wasn't, regardless of whether it went for 0 byes or 4) compared to the number of deliveries that went within range.

As of yet, no wicketkeeping statistics have been compiled that tell you much about the actual calibre of wicketkeeping, though, as I say. It would be possible to do something retrospectively for quite a while now as for a decade and more every ball of international cricket has been televised, but that'd be a labour-intensive process.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Was grapedo a new user or an old banned user with a new name? Although the idea that Boucher is the best keeper ever is laughable it's not really ban-worthy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was grapedo a new user or an old banned user with a new name? Although the idea that Boucher is the best keeper ever is laughable it's not really ban-worthy.
He didn't get banned for his posts in here; he got banned for trolling and baiting.. particularly in the tour threads.

protea lover

Cricket Spectator
I definitley think he will turn into a terrific batsman especially after his australian innings. He is 24 younger than every member of the oz side and the same age as siddle who won't be a member for much longer.

pskov

International 12th Man
Boucher is an 8/10 keeper and a 5/10 batsman, but these days it seems most teams would rather have a keeper who is 6/10 with the gloves and 7/10 with the bat, such as De Villiers could potentially be. Whether this is correct is open for debate.

protea lover

Cricket Spectator
Boucher is an 8/10 keeper and a 5/10 batsman, but these days it seems most teams would rather have a keeper who is 6/10 with the gloves and 7/10 with the bat, such as De Villiers could potentially be. Whether this is correct is open for debate.
After seeing his outfield work against australia I would prefer him in the outfield to keep the pressure on. I think they should look at other keepers when Boucher retires. Such as the one who played in the under 19 wc this year. Pardon my ignorance but his name has slipped my head.

Corli

U19 Cricketer
After seeing his outfield work against australia I would prefer him in the outfield to keep the pressure on. I think they should look at other keepers when Boucher retires. Such as the one who played in the under 19 wc this year. Pardon my ignorance but his name has slipped my head.
Bradley Barnes? He certainly got a lot of glowing reviews after the under-19 WC.

pup11

International Coach
I think Duminy has a better chance of doing well in limited overs cricket then test cricket, i say this because from what i saw in Perth he seems to have a definite problem against the short ball, there was general discomfort for him while playing the short ball, his feet were tangled, his head position was wrong and if one can't play the short ball well chances of succeeding at the test level are pretty bleak, but he is still is young and has time to rectify this problem of his.

protea lover

Cricket Spectator
I think Duminy has a better chance of doing well in limited overs cricket then test cricket, i say this because from what i saw in Perth he seems to have a definite problem against the short ball, there was general discomfort for him while playing the short ball, his feet were tangled, his head position was wrong and if one can't play the short ball well chances of succeeding at the test level are pretty bleak, but he is still is young and has time to rectify this problem of his.
I am sure he will. A few years ago Amla struggled against it but now he plays it superbly.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bradley Barnes.

Ray Jennings has said after Boucher, Barnes is the best keeper in South Africa and he was awesome in the WC, even stood up to Wayne Parnell.
Just a shame Barnes batting isn't anything to write home about, has batted as low as 8 and 9 for RSA U19 and unlike his U19 team-mates, Parnell, Smuts, Malan, Vandiar and Rossouw, he has yet to break into franchise cricket.

protea lover

Cricket Spectator
Bradley Barnes.

Ray Jennings has said after Boucher, Barnes is the best keeper in South Africa and he was awesome in the WC, even stood up to Wayne Parnell.
Just a shame Barnes batting isn't anything to write home about, has batted as low as 8 and 9 for RSA U19 and unlike his U19 team-mates, Parnell, Smuts, Malan, Vandiar and Rossouw, he has yet to break into franchise cricket.
Morne Van Wyk can keep wicket. Does he do it on a regular basis ? and is he affective ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For most of his career Duminy has been far stronger in the longer game than the shorter one.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Morne Van Wyk can keep wicket. Does he do it on a regular basis ? and is he affective ?
Yes, Morne keeps for the Eagles and his younger brother keeps for the Free State. But Morne is more of a batsman/keeper than keeper/batsman.

The only pure keepers in South African cricket that I know of are Smit of the Dolphins and Canning of the Cobras. I haven't seen too much of the Lions keepers, Harris and Vilas but if VB van Jaarsveld keeps wicket occasionally they can't be that great. Whilst the Warriors even change their keepers during innings, Arno regularly changes places with Davey Jacobs.

Mickey Arthur recently said that AB will not replace Boucher now (in the test side); they are looking at AB replacing Kallis, so the next in-line after Bouch is probably Kuhn of the Titans or part-time leggie Smit.

protea lover

Cricket Spectator
Yes, Morne keeps for the Eagles and his younger brother keeps for the Free State. But Morne is more of a batsman/keeper than keeper/batsman.

The only pure keepers in South African cricket that I know of are Smit of the Dolphins and Canning of the Cobras. I haven't seen too much of the Lions keepers, Harris and Vilas but if VB van Jaarsveld keeps wicket occasionally they can't be that great. Whilst the Warriors even change their keepers during innings, Arno regularly changes places with Davey Jacobs.

Mickey Arthur recently said that AB will not replace Boucher now (in the test side); they are looking at AB replacing Kallis, so the next in-line after Bouch is probably Kuhn of the Titans or part-time leggie Smit.
Oh Great :laugh:
No need to select 2 spinners for india anymore:laugh:
we can get our keeper to bowl.:laugh:
Hopefully Boucher will hang around for another 2 or 3 years until we are ready for it.